Docking in Naples in November - is DIY side trip to Sorrento worth it?

Native Floridian 26

Many people do Pompei, Herculaneum, Capri or Sorrento. We are in Naples port from 8AM to 7PM, so plenty of time.

We have ruled out Pompei and Herculaneum as it really is not our area of interest. First time to Italy so trying to capture views and see some beautiful towns. We will explore Naples and Vomero for several hours, but there is still time in the day to catch the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento and back. We would do that first thing before spending time exploring Naples. Will there be views of the coast from the train, or any other interesting sights to see on the way? Yes, Sorrento seems very nice, but wondering if it's worth going if the 1 hour train ride isn't interesting. Would really like to take the bus from Sorrento to Positano, but understand the traffic is bad and we would be nervous about getting back to the ship on time.

The Circumvesuviana is a commuter train, more like a subway car than a train, and the views are of working class neighborhoods and stations. Not scenic, in other words.

It's faster and more comfortable to travel to Sorrento by ferry. The ferry port, Molo Beverello, is adjacent to the cruise port so it couldn't be easier. It's a quick 45 minutes to Sorrento and there are five runs each way, assuming you are traveling Monday - Friday. Weekend ferries on this route are seasonal but the weekday schedule is year round.

http://www.alilauro.it/orari-e-tariffe

Actually, the Trenitalia tracks are closer to the water but they don't go to Sorrento. The two lines cross at Castellamare di Stabia as the Circumvesuviana continues out along the Sorrentine peninsula while the Trenitalia tracks head inland and then south toward Salerno.

I actually can't think of any point along the Circumvesuviana route where you can see the water, if there is one it would only be for a few seconds. The places where the tracks are closest to the water (like Vico Equense, for example) they are inside tunnels.

I've taken that route many times from Sorrento to Napoli and vice versa. As euro cruiser says it is not the most picturesque. Most of the time you're looking at the backs of buildings. There are a few places you can see the water but only briefly along the way. If you're looking for stunning views, this isn't the place to get them. (There is one point along the way where you can glimpse ships being built in one of Fincantieri's shipyards if you are into that kind of peeping.....but again, the view is brief.)

I agree you'd be more likely to get some views from the ferry. But you could also fetch up with a grey, foggy morning in November.

I actually LOVE sorrento. Probably one of my favourites Ive ever visited. I would highly recommend this! If you can afford it Joe Banana or Italytoursharing.com offers a day trip to Sorrento Positano and lunch at La Taggliano ( top of Positano)... absolutely breath taking and to this day, one of my very favourite tours!! It was cause of this tour, I have stayed IN Sorrento 2 summers in a row now!! Enjoy

I actually LOVE sorrento. Probably one of my favourites Ive ever visited. I would highly recommend this! If you can afford it Joe Banana or Italytoursharing.com offers a day trip to Sorrento Positano and lunch at La Taggliano ( top of Positano)... absolutely breath taking and to this day, one of my very favourite tours!! It was cause of this tour, I have stayed IN Sorrento 2 summers in a row now!! Enjoy

I LOVE Sorrento too! Where do you end up staying?

• 4 weeks later...

If you are visiting Napoli, DO NOT FAIL to use this amazing guy as your excursion guide.

Much more affordable than your ship’s overpriced excursions and much more personal, private and a hell of a lot of fun, fun, fun. You will fall in love with Ciro, many woman and men decide to miss the ship and stay in Napoli LOL Rush to book him and tell him Jay sent you.

https://mrcabdrivernapoli.jimdo.com/

https://www.facebook.com/taxitournapoli/

If you are visiting Napoli, DO NOT FAIL to use this amazing guy as your excursion guide.

Much more affordable than your ship’s overpriced excursions and much more personal, private and a hell of a lot of fun, fun, fun. You will fall in love with Ciro, many woman and men decide to miss the ship and stay in Napoli LOL Rush to book him and tell him Jay sent you.

https://mrcabdrivernapoli.jimdo.com/

https://www.facebook.com/taxitournapoli/

I second that! We just returned this past Sunday from the Freedom. Ciro is great, wish we could have had him for all of our tours in Italy! You will be very happy with him. Read his reviews, he was the best we had. And, tell him, Mary also said he is great!!