Hapag-LLoyd Europa 2.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Luxury Cruising
Is it a state of mind?
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:36 PM.
antwerpen
1,046 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
i am always in a basic Ocean suite and the first item i do is removing the beer and asking for Diet Cola or Zero when available and ice in my cabin as well.
California
683 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by vistaman
i am always in a basic Ocean suite and the first item i do is removing the beer and asking for Diet Cola or Zero when available and ice in my cabin as well.
A Belgian who removes beer! Shocking!

I also remove the beer, and the sugared coke, and replace it with diet cokes galore and sparkling water ( but I remove the ice bucket to make room for extra cokes and cheeses and excellent sausage I bring back to my room for nibbling with leftover wine from dinner)
Albuquerque, NM
297 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by English Voyager
For those with access to the Smithsonian Channel, to be broadcast from Wednesday, the series 'Mighty Cruise Ships' will feature the Europa 2:


http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/sh...003687/3451005
My husband DVR'd this and I watched it this morning. Looks like an amazing ship. I wonder if they do the surprise ports cruises now and again. Quite expensive and I notice on their website that they don't stay in any one port very long. Few overnights.
1,262 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Originally posted by Steirisch
My husband DVR'd this and I watched it this morning. Looks like an amazing ship. I wonder if they do the surprise ports cruises now and again. Quite expensive and I notice on their website that they don't stay in any one port very long. Few overnights.
Maybe I have been lucky, but I have always found the time spent in ports of call to be generous.

I don't know which cruises you have looked at, but I chose at random to look at the itineraries of Cruises EUX1721, and EUX1728.

Personally, I would have no complaints if I was on either of them.
antwerpen
1,046 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
during my last cruise there was an overnight in Bordeaux what was very good - the ship is also linked to the tides in Bordeaux
i was not so happy with the overnight in Amsterdam - however this is very personal - by high speed train it is one hour from the place where i live
and in summer Amsterdam is extremely crowded ( like Bruges )
most of the passengers found the stay in my hometown Antwerpen from noon to midnight too short

i never risked to do a surprise cruise so far - most of the times it is to Greek Isles -
Brisbane
116 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Originally posted by vistaman
i never risked to do a surprise cruise so far - most of the times it is to Greek Isles -
One of the reasons we never booked one - there are more interesting places to go to than the Greek Isles. But I do like the concept.
Shanghai
255 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
May I ask you experienced HL cruisers:
1) we received cruise documents saying we can leave luggage somewhere at Hamburg central station from 10:00am of boarding day for free, but not able to do so directly at Hamburg airport, although they arrange free transfer to ship from both locations ?
2) if we want to invite friends to have meals onboard when the ship have a overnight stay in port, is this possible ?
Thanks in advance.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Silver Wind May 2007, Mediteranean
Hurtigruten Finnmarken Aug. 2007, Norway Coast
Paul Gauguin Feb. 2010, Society/Cook Islands
Silver Spirit Oct. 2010, Mediteranean
Seabourn Sojourn Sept. 2011, Canada/New England
Crystal Symphony Jan. 2012, Panama Canal
Crystal Symphony Feb. 2013, Australia/Indonesia
Crystal Serenity June 2014, Mediteranean B2B
Pride of America Feb. 2015, Hawaii
Crystal Symphony Aug. 2015, Baltic
Silver Shadow Nov. 2015, Philippines
Crystal Serenity June 2016, Alaska
Celebrity Millennium Sept. 2016, Japan
Celebrity Solstice Jan. 2017, New Zealand
Azamara Journey Aug. 2017, Baltic
HL Europa 2 Oct. 2017, Western Europe
Brisbane
116 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
We had to collect our luggage after the flight but then handed them over to the representative at the airport.

We've had friends on board in Dublin. They have to provide paperwork (passport details) and you have to pay for their meals. But pretty easy process.
Washington State
23,022 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
I noticed that this thread began before the merger. A recent thread seems to indicate that things have changed - and not necessarily for the better on H-L's luxury ships.
Shanghai
255 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by cathaana
We had to collect our luggage after the flight but then handed them over to the representative at the airport.

We've had friends on board in Dublin. They have to provide paperwork (passport details) and you have to pay for their meals. But pretty easy process.
I got info it will cost 50 euro for each guest for lunch. That sounds reasonable.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Silver Wind May 2007, Mediteranean
Hurtigruten Finnmarken Aug. 2007, Norway Coast
Paul Gauguin Feb. 2010, Society/Cook Islands
Silver Spirit Oct. 2010, Mediteranean
Seabourn Sojourn Sept. 2011, Canada/New England
Crystal Symphony Jan. 2012, Panama Canal
Crystal Symphony Feb. 2013, Australia/Indonesia
Crystal Serenity June 2014, Mediteranean B2B
Pride of America Feb. 2015, Hawaii
Crystal Symphony Aug. 2015, Baltic
Silver Shadow Nov. 2015, Philippines
Crystal Serenity June 2016, Alaska
Celebrity Millennium Sept. 2016, Japan
Celebrity Solstice Jan. 2017, New Zealand
Azamara Journey Aug. 2017, Baltic
HL Europa 2 Oct. 2017, Western Europe
1,262 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Originally posted by Travelcat2
I noticed that this thread began before the merger. A recent thread seems to indicate that things have changed - and not necessarily for the better on H-L's luxury ships.
The Europa 2 was bought by The Tui Group in January 2015.
1,262 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Originally posted by Travelcat2
This sounds like a merger rather than a buy-out but it occurred this year https://www.hapag-lloyd.com/en/press...te-merger.html

There are more articles if you do a search.
That refers to the merger of the shipping container operations.

Is Hapag-Lloyd Cruises not a separate entity, and part of the Tui Group?
Washington State
23,022 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by English Voyager
That refers to the merger of the shipping container operations.

Is Hapag-Lloyd Cruises not a separate entity, and part of the Tui Group?
Thanks for the information. However I remain confused. Has the Tui Group owned the company for 2 years or 10 years? In any case, I was quite surprised by the negative review and was looking at reasons why the food, etc. may have been so poor compared to the experiences that others have had.

Sorry that I keep posting on H-L issues -- really wish the cruise line would get its own board so that I didn't get tempted to read posts.
Charlotte, NC
734 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Hapag-Lloyd was acquired in 1998 by TUI AG (Hanover), a tourism conglomerate, and became its fully owned subsidiary in 2002.

Europa 2 launched 2013 and had been under charter to Hapag-Lloyd Kreuzfahrten (former name) until 2015.

Hapag-Lloyd Cruises (current name - post rebranding) bought Europa 2 outright in 2015.

Regarding the one person's opinion on their Europa voyage - it is just that, ONE person's opinion. Certainly valid to that person. n=1


And yes agree - several of us who have sailed the line would prefer to have a separate board as well.
California
683 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by Travelcat2
Thanks for the information. However I remain confused. Has the Tui Group owned the company for 2 years or 10 years? In any case, I was quite surprised by the negative review and was looking at reasons why the food, etc. may have been so poor compared to the experiences that others have had.

Sorry that I keep posting on H-L issues -- really wish the cruise line would get its own board so that I didn't get tempted to read posts.
We all have free will, to post or not to post, depending on our agendas