Hapag-LLoyd Europa 2.

English Voyager

Just FYI

Ships that really cruise in Antarctica must fulfill strict environmental fuel standards. "Ordinary" cruise ships do not. Hapag Lloyd and Ponant ships do.

I am glad to hear about the breakfast selections on HL ships. I love Italian and Spanish hams.:)

Welcome home, Vistaman! Though your trip started out difficult, as it always is with cancelled flights and reroutes, I am glad you then had a good time on the E2, counting your blessings that you were not at the Brussels airport when the Islamists struck.

Wallets, of course, should not disappear either :(

There are so many flight cancellations and major delays on flights from US to Europe these days that I plan on arriving in Lisbon 4 days before my MS Europa trip this fall, so I can be positive to be there even if there is a flight cancellation or two. I envy you all being in Europe as flight cancellations are easier to deal with than coming from 13 hours away, like I do, not to mention there is no jet lag, and less expense for flying business class.

catlover 54,

many thanks -

i you really are intending to Lisbon 4 day earlier - consider the Avenida Palace hotel - i do not get pribes but it was wonderful -

a restored old palace .with a certain "grandeur"

on long distances i also must fly business - in Europa only if i do have enough miles and i try to use Swiss or Lufthansa as inflight service on Brussels is just horrible. ( cheap sour champagne and poor food but :D2 chocolates )

be aware that on MS Europa you can book a table for dinner in the Lido , and on some evenings that is a must - see the ass maitre d' h the first evening

there is a list in your room with the different "themes" ( pasta , salmon fish, spanish ... )going on every lunch and dinner.

Having read that Viking Ocean has cancelled Turkish Ports of Call, it would appear that Hapag-Lloyd has not amended the itineraries of the Europa 2 which include Turkey.

The UK Foreign Office's latest advice in respect of tourist areas is to be alert to one's surroundings, and to remain vigilant in crowded places.

In withdrawing Turkey from itineraries, are the relevant Cruise Lines over reacting, or are those Cruise Lines which continue to include Turkey being slow to react?

Edited by English Voyager

In withdrawing Turkey from itineraries, are the relevant Cruise Lines over reacting, or are those Cruise Lines which continue to include Turkey being slow to react?

I think it is about customer reaction and business. The panicked postings on cc show that some Americans cancelled ocean cruises, river cruises and travel to Europe + Turkey. Cruise lines take this into consideration.

• 3 weeks later...

On an Europa 2 deckplan on HL website, I see several Category I veranda suites facing aft, e.g., 674-679, still available on a cruise in 2017 that is otherwise mostly sold out in the cheaper categories. Just above them on deck 7 they are category 2. There is no indicator of something weird about them, like blocked view or such

any idea why those deck 6 suites are least desired?

On an Europa 2 deckplan on HL website, I see several Category I veranda suites facing aft, e.g., 674-679, still available on a cruise in 2017 that is otherwise mostly sold out in the cheaper categories. Just above them on deck 7 they are category 2. There is no indicator of something weird about them, like blocked view or such

any idea why those deck 6 suites are least desired?

i think you did mention the suites on deck 7 under the Sansibar

nightclub, noise music late closing down late fun partying ;)

vistaman,

As you are due to board the Europa 2 tomorrow, have a great cruise, and I trust the weather keeps fine.

I am looking forward to joining the ship in just over four weeks time.

many thanks - i 'll be happy to board her - i do not like the transfer Rome airport Civitavecchia - find it one of the most difficult ( and expensive ) ones

i am going back to her on 29 th June for 3 days and unfortunately that is a farewell until June 2017 however i 'll go to her sister in september :)

i did cancel the Dubai Limassol with no ports and the heath in late May

37 - 42 ° is not for me

and i also do Queen Victoria for the first time - my first Cunard since 1999 - november this year very curious about it.

• 2 weeks later...

i am just back from an excellent cruise on ms Europa 2

around 480 guests - 32 international guests and 1 :rolleyes: aditional listed as German speaking

Civitavecchia transfers are never fun and unfortunately ms Europa 2 is too big for Nice (much easier transfers as Monaco taxis ???) Hapag Lloyd does use Nice for ms Europa

i am just back from an excellent cruise on ms Europa 2

around 480 guests - 32 international guests and 1 :rolleyes: aditional listed as German speaking

Civitavecchia transfers are never fun and unfortunately ms Europa 2 is too big for Nice (much easier transfers as Monaco taxis ???) Hapag Lloyd does use Nice for ms Europa

Welcome back.

Good to read that you had an enjoyable cruise.

As they are very likely to be on my cruise at the beginning of next month, on your cruise who were the International Hostess, and the Cruise Director?

Is Marcel still the manager of Tarragon?

The international hostess was Suzanne Cheung

and the cruise director was Frank Meikofski - Christian Bertram left Hapag Lloyd

Marcel was still on duty as Tarragon manager however it are his lasts weeks, during last cruise Dubai Dubai he did Sakura ( i do not eat oriental ). Markus A Galan is back as sommelier.

Captain was cpt. Wolter and hotel director mr Schrempf on duty until 4 th July.

the fashion was very special for ladies i think and in every suite a small gift made by the invited designer was delivered

in any case he did receive a big ovation.

the show was great to see

i am staying on more classical clothing - 60 years ;)

and i am far more into gastronomy and wines as in fashion

and classical music and opera - and i always did prefer full opera's above recitals especially when done only by piano instead of full orchestra

i remember on one of those special cruises the last symphony of Mozart ( nr 41 Jupiter ) was performed with not enough strings on stage

• 1 month later...

thank you for the review - usually i do not eat a lot in Weltmeere

(and Vier Jahreszeiten is managed by Fairmont not by Four Seasons :))

i am sometimes feeling rather embarassed that they have to search my wine in Weltmeere where all the not emptied bottles are stocked - when i do eat in Yacht Club

last time i was in steigenberger in Hamburg - that is officially 5 star but better said 4 starred + - Sofitel is better if you do not take the "real single" rooms - small...

Westin will open in a few months near Hafencity and for the new Fontenay it is still waiting time;)

i hope you did enjoy the cruise and also that you will enjoy your first on ms Europa - i was there for 4 days last week - yes there is still an international hostess !!

years ago the first Crystal - the Harmony went into Trollfjord and afterwards the captain was fired for doing that

the famous cpt Rodahl did it once with the Vistafjord

Terry, it was great meeting you on the 2 Norway cruises. I enjoyed our talks. Sorry I didn't get to say much to you on the 2nd cruise. I had friends join us that I met on a Viet Nam trip in 2012. The ship was great as usual. I booked my 6th cruise on E2 for next March. I hope to meet up with you again on a future cruise. Safe travels.

Richard

My review on my recent Norwegian Fjords cruises is now available.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=541091

Terry, it was great meeting you on the 2 Norway cruises. I enjoyed our talks. Sorry I didn't get to say much to you on the 2nd cruise. I had friends join us that I met on a Viet Nam trip in 2012. The ship was great as usual. I booked my 6th cruise on E2 for next March. I hope to meet up with you again on a future cruise. Safe travels.

Richard

Richard,

It was a pleasure to have met you all, and I hope your return journey was less nerve wracking than the one to join the ship.

I have a cruise booked for next year on the Europa 2, and the Europa.

I hope that we will have an opportunity to meet again.

Enjoy your cruise next March.

Terry.

thank you for the review - usually i do not eat a lot in Weltmeere

(and Vier Jahreszeiten is managed by Fairmont not by Four Seasons :))

i am sometimes feeling rather embarassed that they have to search my wine in Weltmeere where all the not emptied bottles are stocked - when i do eat in Yacht Club

last time i was in steigenberger in Hamburg - that is officially 5 star but better said 4 starred + - Sofitel is better if you do not take the "real single" rooms - small...

Westin will open in a few months near Hafencity and for the new Fontenay it is still waiting time;)

i hope you did enjoy the cruise and also that you will enjoy your first on ms Europa - i was there for 4 days last week - yes there is still an international hostess !!

years ago the first Crystal - the Harmony went into Trollfjord and afterwards the captain was fired for doing that

the famous cpt Rodahl did it once with the Vistafjord

I don't know what the system is for storing unfinished bottles of wine in the Weltmeere, but on more than one occasion they had difficulty finding mine when I was eating in there.

I did enjoy my cruise, and it is gratifying that Hapag-Lloyd is currently investigating my observations re shortcomings, and their impact upon wait staff.

With regard to your cruise on the Europa, on the formal night were there many men wearing black tie and dinner jacket? Or is a dark suit now permitted?

Catlover54 is due to sail on the Europa for the Ocean Sun Music Festival in September, and I look forward to her review.

they are adding a label with your suite number and name on the bottle

my recent cruise on ms Europa was a short one : 4 nights only - one was with jacket and tie - on other jackets were requested on deck 4 where the restaurants and bars are located

i did not bring my tuxedo - just a very dark suit + a formal white shirt and a bow tie ( did not use those ) - so i eventually could simulate "evening gear" - evening dress was NOT requested

there were - except for myself - no other pax from non german speaking countries - there was nobody for life boat drill in english:rolleyes:

on cruises (as from seven nights ) a lot of tuxedos are still seen - last year i also brought the same very dark suit - ( limited luggage allowance on plane :() i was not refused in the Europa restaurant ( with white gala shirt + bow tie )

i am back on her in Nizza 21 st September

and on Europa 2 only 3 rd June 2017 ( humidity + heat are not my items neither crossings )