Flying into BWI looking for a hotel that is near train to DC

Webecruzen

Does anyone know of a hotel with transportation from BWI that is also close to the train for a day trip into DC before our October cruise out of Baltimore. We will fly in Friday afternoon, try to spend Saturday in DC, we will cruise on the Pride Sunday.

I'd stay in the BWI airport area. Find a hotel that offers a free shuttle to the airport, and it will (99% likely) also take you to the BWI Amtrak station. The Amtrak station is between the airport and the rental car facility, which is why I would bet any shuttle to BWI will swing by the train station.

You can take Amtrak, but your better (i.e., cheaper) bet is the MARC train. Another advantage to the BWI station is that it is staffed, so you can buy your tickets (including MARC tickets) from the counter or using the kiosk. Kiosk is faster (and what I usually use). Its $7/pp each way BWI to Penn Station (my preferred method when I have to go into DC proper for work0

https://mta.maryland.gov/sites/default/files/Penn_Weekend_Mar10v2_Grid.pdf

Thank you. We were looking at staying at the Best Western Elkridge, Md. They have the airport shuttle. I saw there was an Amtrak Station but thought MARC was the better option but didn’t see a station at/near BWI. Baltimore is a new cruise port for us. Thank you for the advise.

MARC trains are operated by AMTRAK on the that line. So same station for AMTRAK and MARC.

Even if you cannot get a shuttle to the station, there are free shuttles from the airport to the train station. Not only is the train station there, but it is also overflow airport parking. A high rise parking lot there.

I commute by MARC.

Oh, one thing, if you use the kiosk, the MARC tickets are not obvious. You have to find the MARC button, that takes up to the screen for MARC tickets. If you just pick Union Station from the main screen, you will end up with AMTRAK tickets, which are more money, and less trains. But faster, as they have less stops.

Oh yes! I guess I didn’t clearly articulate that the Amtrak and MARC station are one and the same. Only one set of train tracks ;)

Thank you for clearing that up for me! I feel convinced now that we should not rent a car. Years ago on a road trip we used the Metro from VA to go into DC. That sure was a lot easier and less stressful than trying to navigate driving and finding parking in DC.

From BWI area to downtown DC, yes, the train is MUCH better than driving. Why would you rent a car, drive in traffic, pay to park, then drive in traffic back?????

Yes, same station, same ticket kiosks. So make SURE you buy a MARC ticket. And make SURE you board a MARC train. They do say MARC in big letters on the side. But every so often, I see people who have the wrong ticket for the train they are on.

There is a Metro station under Union Station, so you can head down and go anywhere that Metro goes.

If it has been a while for you, there are no more paper Metro tickets, you have to get a SmarTrip card. But the machines will take care of that. There is a small fee for the card, so keep it for the next trip (I carry London and Hong Kong cards :D ).

Yes, same station, same ticket kiosks. So make SURE you buy a MARC ticket. And make SURE you board a MARC train. They do say MARC in big letters on the side. But every so often, I see people who have the wrong ticket for the train they are on.

To be honest, this is why I'd tend to recommend that a tourist go ahead and go to the counter at BWI. They usually have at least two agents and at minimal lines. They might be about as friendly as the kiosk, but they (usually) respond to questions. ;)

Also, OP, you can buy a ticket for both ways at the same time. Also, as an FYI, you only need to aim for about 10 before the train, even buying tickets, at the BWI station. However, when you are coming back from Union Station - there *is* more than one track. In that case, you have to know your train number, and then you check the board and head to the correct track. Give yourself a bit of extra time because sometimes the train is the second train on the track (at in, you have to walk down the platform passed one train before you get to your train). I don't know how much that happens on the weekend, but it gets me on the weekday sometimes.

At Union Station, they do not post the track until about 15 - 20 minutes before departure. So no need to be very early.

True. No need to be *very* early. But also probably shouldn't cut it as close as you can at BWI. Not that I have ever been parking within 5 minutes of the scheduled train. ;p Sadly though, last time that bit me... Partially because I thought the 7:39 train was 7:41. And I would have made a 7:41 train!