Hurricane Irma Watch

Hurricane Irma is gaining a lot of strength in the middle of the Atlantic and we are now getting some better models as to where she may be headed, and it may not look good. Of course it is not certain the direct path of the storm, but many models are putting it in line of potential danger. Hopefully the storm heads north and not make any landfall, and hopefully this is all for not. But because this storm now has a realistic possibly of disrupting the lives within the Caribbean and east coast of the US, it is something I believe needs to be watched. It may be early, but that could also mean we can be better prepared with less of a surprise.

Now many of us have cruises booked on RCCL ships. Irma could alter some of those cruises in some way. This is why I am creating this thread. Hopefully, it is all for not. I have a Sept 10th sailing on Allure, so I am watching Irma closely.

Here are some current conditions and productive models of Irma...

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-irma-atlantic-ocean

Now as I always say... Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Thankfully, Irma is far out in the ocean and we have an early warning of it. Plenty of time to prepare.

Again, I am making this thread for all of us to watch and prepare for Hurricane Irma, and mostly to inform and to keep us cruisers up-to-date on developing situations with our booked cruises and in general.

Harmony on Sept 9th here. I've been watching the model runs constantly. Some models bring it very close to Ft. Lauderdale on departure day. I know things can change and will be monitoring it closely.

I live in Florida and have done many September cruises. Been down this road before.

BTW, there's also another possible tropical system on the heels of Irma. Some cruises "could" be dodging two systems. Crazy.

Might want to have mods merge this thread with http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=53943370

I wanted to create a separate thread since that one is specific to the Sept 3rd sailing of Allure and to possible changes to its itineraries. I created this thread and titled it for all cruisers that might be affected by the storm and general concerns relating to the storm. I did not want to hijack that one in case the original poster was still looking for info and answers to the original concerns posted.

:D

Harmony on Sept 9th here. I've been watching the model runs constantly. Some models bring it very close to Ft. Lauderdale on departure day. I know things can change and will be monitoring it closely.

I live in Florida and have done many September cruises. Been down this road before.

BTW, there's also another possible tropical system on the heels of Irma. Some cruises "could" be dodging two systems. Crazy.

I too live in Fl. Originally from Chi. So yes "GO CUBS GO"

And have cruised many times including twice when there were hurricanes and once when there was a tropical storm.

The hurricane that effected us, we went into the Eastern Carribean and the cruise line just rerouted us to the Western within the first day at sea. It was an awesome cruise. So hope everyone enjoys the cruise as much as we will.:):D

Was on a weather forum today. They mentioned that over the next 3-4 weeks there could be several waves coming off the African coast as the conditions are conducive and will not be changing. If you run Euro and gfs models you will see Jose. He is coming off Africa more southerly than what Irma did.

9/9 Adventure out of San Juan. We are heading south to the ABCs first off, and then up to St. Martin on the 15th. I am only slightly worried about getting into San Juan on the morning of the 8th, but sending out good voodoo. First cruise ever. Luckily, we did purchase insurance a few months ago so even if something happens, we should be good to go monetarily.

Hello,

Going on the Allure on the 9th and was looking at different options. Already booked for a direct flight into FLL out of Ohio on the 9th. We have a house in Orlando and thought about back-up tickets to MCO then drive to Lauderdale. But after further review ... if this storm turns out be as big as it looks like it may become, probably the last place I want to be in anywhere in Florida as electrical continuity is sketchy at times in the best of weather. A good link for hurricane info is http://spaghettimodels.com ... Mike runs it ... has some live feeds reviewing the conditions. now and then ... much better than watching the Browns play ... now there's a disaster in the making. Take care, be safe and hope to see a departure of the Allure on the 9th!

Hello,

Going on the Allure on the 9th and was looking at different options. Already booked for a direct flight into FLL out of Ohio on the 9th. We have a house in Orlando and thought about back-up tickets to MCO then drive to Lauderdale. But after further review ... if this storm turns out be as big as it looks like it may become, probably the last place I want to be in anywhere in Florida as electrical continuity is sketchy at times in the best of weather. A good link for hurricane info is http://spaghettimodels.com ... Mike runs it ... has some live feeds reviewing the conditions. now and then ... much better than watching the Browns play ... now there's a disaster in the making. Take care, be safe and hope to see a departure of the Allure on the 9th!

Thanks for the website! I will be watching.

Now just so we're on the same page... did you mean the Allure cruise on Sept 10th? Or am I missing something...

Yes, it's on the 10th ... we are flying in the day before ... also found another site ... Weatherbell.com ... check the daily update ... really good, he pulls no punches

Okay cool. We're also flying in on the 9th.

And thanks for the websites! Keep them coming!

We are leaving on the 9th on the Anthem....

Hurricane Irma is gaining a lot of strength in the middle of the Atlantic and we are now getting some better models as to where she may be headed, and it may not look good. Of course it is not certain the direct path of the storm, but many models are putting it in line of potential danger. Hopefully the storm heads north and not make any landfall, and hopefully this is all for not. But because this storm now has a realistic possibly of disrupting the lives within the Caribbean and east coast of the US, it is something I believe needs to be watched. It may be early, but that could also mean we can be better prepared with less of a surprise.

Now many of us have cruises booked on RCCL ships. Irma could alter some of those cruises in some way. This is why I am creating this thread. Hopefully, it is all for not. I have a Sept 10th sailing on Allure, so I am watching Irma closely.

Here are some current conditions and productive models of Irma...

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-irma-atlantic-ocean

Now as I always say... Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Thankfully, Irma is far out in the ocean and we have an early warning of it. Plenty of time to prepare.

Again, I am making this thread for all of us to watch and prepare for Hurricane Irma, and mostly to inform and to keep us cruisers up-to-date on developing situations with our booked cruises and in general.

We have 5 cabins booked on Allure on the 10th. Flying into Ft Lauderdale from Toronto on the 9th and we are also following Irma! We have sailed 3 or 4 times now at this time of the year, and although there have always been storms, we have never been affected by the weather. Fingers Crossed!! =)

Anthem to Bermuda on 9/23, fly Orlando to Newark on 22nd. Lessons from Harvey - know what your insurance covers or not, have claims number handy, make copies of receipts, bring extra meds (they don't take much room), make a refundable hotel reservation at hotel near port or airport. If your house is in hurricane possible zone, secure it as much as possible before leaving, less to worry about. Have your home/car insurance claim numbers. Consider where you park, upper floor of covered garage best.

I'm in situation of being away from home on a road trip until 5 days before flight to Newark. So I am planning for situation if storm did damage or is coming, I may not be able to get back to home or airport. So I'm taking my cruise docs, passport etc with me, worst case I'd fly out of another airport. Clothes will be okay for cruise, not worrying about formal.

I knew when I booked Bermuda, which only has cruises in hurricane season, there was a risk. Last year after a minor hurricane i was not able to get to airport due to wires down, debris etc, but the flight went out. I was able to collect on travel insurance, but I found that cancel for any reason still has to be proven to company that the loss was due to a reasonable decision. Also had to provide written proof there was a hurricane:)