Hurricane Irma Watch

Sailing on Empress on 9-4 to Cuba. I normally would not care if we were diverted or even cancelled, but this is Cuba. I have never gone during hurricane season, only in January and February. I only booked because it was going to Cuba. :rolleyes:

Hurricane Irma is gaining a lot of strength in the middle of the Atlantic and we are now getting some better models as to where she may be headed, and it may not look good. Of course it is not certain the direct path of the storm, but many models are putting it in line of potential danger. Hopefully the storm heads north and not make any landfall, and hopefully this is all for not. But because this storm now has a realistic possibly of disrupting the lives within the Caribbean and east coast of the US, it is something I believe needs to be watched. It may be early, but that could also mean we can be better prepared with less of a surprise.

Now many of us have cruises booked on RCCL ships. Irma could alter some of those cruises in some way. This is why I am creating this thread. Hopefully, it is all for not. I have a Sept 10th sailing on Allure, so I am watching Irma closely.

Here are some current conditions and productive models of Irma...

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-irma-atlantic-ocean

Now as I always say... Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Thankfully, Irma is far out in the ocean and we have an early warning of it. Plenty of time to prepare.

Again, I am making this thread for all of us to watch and prepare for Hurricane Irma, and mostly to inform and to keep us cruisers up-to-date on developing situations with our booked cruises and in general.

If a ship cannot sail because of a hurricane do you get your money back? I did not purchase trip insurance for this cruise and now am starting to regret that decision!

If a ship cannot sail because of a hurricane do you get your money back? I did not purchase trip insurance for this cruise and now am starting to regret that decision!

If a cruise is cancelled, you would get a full refund.

We are on the Oasis 9/10. Have sailed many times during hurricane season never a problem. Living in SE FL we are always prepared in the event of a hurricane warning. Will take along copies of insurance policy numbers in the event I need them.

Leaving tomorrow on Harmony returning to FLL the 9th so I'll already be sailing when Irma's path is determined [emoji15] Not too worried about safety but hoping we don't miss our ports (Haiti, Jamaica, Mexico), that it doesn't rain the whole trip and that we are able to return to FLL on day 7. Praying for everyone's safety and that it doesn't make landfall anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oddly enough we are sailing out of NYC on the 9th for Canada and I'm also concerned about Irma! Some of the computer models (which was a perfectly descriptive term, but someone has decided they should be called spaghetti SMH) show it coming up the middle of the Atlantic and heading for Halifax, NS!

We may have fun getting back!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are on Carnival Dream on Sept. 10th, out of NOLA. Flying in on Friday. So, we are watching. We do have the insurance. We gotta make a decision by Wednesday for the hotel and air. We have been rerouted before, which worked out good. But, in this case where would they send us out of NOLA? Belize? Watching and waiting!

Leaving tomorrow on Harmony returning to FLL the 9th so I'll already be sailing when Irma's path is determined [emoji15] Not too worried about safety but hoping we don't miss our ports (Haiti, Jamaica, Mexico), that it doesn't rain the whole trip and that we are able to return to FLL on day 7. Praying for everyone's safety and that it doesn't make landfall anywhere.

Yes, please return on Day 7. We need to get on. :D

Are you allowed to cancel and get a full refund? If you don't feel comfortable with the itinerary change?

If you have the insurance, yes, but it is 75% refund, and doesn't include the insurance. I don't recall what their offer was though if you didn't have the insurance.

As a Floridian who has lived through hurricanes, I follow http://weatherunderground.com/hurricane. It's been around forever and has a terrific daily blog that breaks it down for the non-meteorologist. The comments section is extensive, informative and entertaining. Click the Tropical Cyclones tab.

Wundergound has ben my go-to for years. Wonderful no-fuss, no-nonsense, insightful weather coverage.

Allure will sail this Sunday -- I'm on it as well. I am doubting (my opinion only) that it will hit Nassau so I assume we'll port there, then a sea day. The sea day is when the storm will be approaching San Juan and St. Thomas so I wonder if the captain will take us to Key West and Cozumel instead of Nassau if the hurricane track approaches San Juan.

I'm glad we got insurance months ago. Most policies will only include hurricane aid if you sign up before the storm is named, and Irma was named several days ago.

At his point I'm wondering if my cruise will even happen. Supposed to be 9/10 (Allure) and we're flying in from the Bay Area on 9/9. It seems if they wait until the last minute to cancel the cruise we'll be in the area, and potentially in harm's way of the storm. We're booked at the Embassy Suites, which like many of the hotels there, is right on or near the water's edge. This could be a very sticky situation and I hope a decision is made before we leave. I don't want to be there then be stuck there.