Are ports in San Pedro and Long Beach the same port?

vmom

Forgive me if this sounds repetitive, but I am confused and would appreciate clarification.

Is the Port of Los Angeles the same as the port out of San Pedro? What about the port of Long beach? Are the ports described as in San Pedro and Long Beach the same port or different ports?

When I have been researching hotels and supershuttle rates, I am reading Port of Los Angeles, Port of Long Beach, San Pedro hotels and Long Beach hotels, but when I look on a map, it looks like Long Beach and San Pedro are right next to each other.

Thanks for any help.

Forgive me if this sounds repetitive, but I am confused and would appreciate clarification.

Is the Port of Los Angeles the same as the port out of San Pedro? What about the port of Long beach? Are the ports described as in San Pedro and Long Beach the same port or different ports?

When I have been researching hotels and supershuttle rates, I am reading Port of Los Angeles, Port of Long Beach, San Pedro hotels and Long Beach hotels, but when I look on a map, it looks like Long Beach and San Pedro are right next to each other.

Thanks for any help.

They are two different ports, but are not that far apart. I believe they are 6.7 miles apart. I'm sure you'll get a bunch of answers about this. All I am saying is that they are two different ports which I hope answers your direct question.:)

Carnival uses the one berth that's at the Port of Long Beach. The other cruiselines will embark and disembark from the Port of Los Angeles (at the World Cruise Center which is in the community -- not city -- of San Pedro). this is the case about 99 per cent of the time. But Princess may use Long beach as a port stop on its coastal cruises.

If you are sailing from Long Beach, you'll probably want to stay at a Long Beach hotel. do a search here for BruinSteve's posts for his list of where to stay in LB. Part of Long Beach tends to be industrial and hotels in that area aren't near the port anyway. While you're searching for a LB hotel, those with shuttles to the port from the hotel should mention it on their website or ask here before booking.

If you're sailing from San Pedro, some people will stay at the Crowne Plaza or Doubletree in SP and get a shuttle (I've read here that one of them has a $5 fee, but that sounds reasonable). If you're staying at a LB hotel, just make sure your driver knows to take you to the port in SP, and not LB.

If you're planning to spend more than a day pre-cruise, then you may want to stay in another area such as Santa Monica and then pay for a shuttle or taxi to whichever port. Make sure to check in on this board as to hotel and which city/community before booking because there are dicey areas to watch out for. List which attractions you plan to tour, etc. too.

Thanks, that explains a lot and clears up my confusion. It sounds like the Port of Long Beach and Port of Los Angeles are very close to each other which is why I was a bit confused when looking at the map, but that the Port of Los Angeles is in the neighborhood of San Pedro. I thought San Pedro was a town name. I think I've got it now. THe Princess ship I will be sailing on is going out of the San Pedro part of the port.

Thank you for all of your help.

It's all one REALLY BIG harbor...the third busiest in the world...and the entire port is often referred to as the Port of Los Angeles /Long Beach...

But, within this complex, there are two different cruise ship facilities...One is the Carnival Terminal...which is in Long Beach, on the EASTERN edge of the harbor...the other, where most ships, including most Princess cruises, sail from is called the Woerld Cruise Center and is located in San Pedro...on the Western edge of the harbor. San Pedro was once a separately incorporated city...but was annexed into the City of Los Angeles over a century ago.

If you are arriving the day of the cruise, make sure your taxi, shuttle, limo or Uber driver knows to take you to the cruise terminal in San Pedro. If you arriving the day before, stay in the "town" of San Pedro preferably the Crowne Plaza or Doubletree. The Crowne Plaza is actually walkable to the pier, though many take the hotel shuttle. There are many restaurant choices within a couple of blocks of the Crowne Plaza.

Have fun...