Back from Enchantment of the Seas out of Colon Panama

TP

Colon Panama (Sol Melia), Cartagena Colombia, Santa Marta Colombia, Curacao, Aruba, Bonaire

My husband and I are in our late 30s and enjoy ports that are not so commercial. We enjoy getting away from the port area and get some snorkeling and/or taking just take our own excursion. We both speak next to no Spanish and we knew when booking that this was an "immersion" cruise but felt we were up for the challenge -- it was interesting being the minority on the boat for once turned out we were 2 of approx. 100 English only speaking guests =)

We booked Sol Melia Hotel for our first night. Our flight landed at 7 pm and us and another American couple had both booked a transfer through the hotel. The drive there was INSANE, I think he drove 200 KMs/hr at least swirving around potholes and tailgating cars. Neither my hubby and I nor the other couple knew how to ask him to slow down in spanish and of course he spoke no english. So we all just held on for dear life. Later on during the cruise we found that others had the same type of experience with their drivers from the airport to the port. Apparently this was for our safety!

The announcements on the ship were done first in Spanish, and then in English (the English explanations were definitely more brief than the Spanish ones) we got the compass in English, which was nice. I usually attend the shopping/port talks that the ship has, but they were in Spanish so there was no point in staying. Each morning when I left the ship there was English port handouts available for pick up. The entertainment was geared to Spanish. The RCCL dancers shows were nice to go to. The Magic Show (which we only stayed for some of) and Comedy Show (which we decided not to even attempt) were in Spanish. There was also a Salsa Dancing show, which we didn't make it to. All the games were in Spanish as well, we don't usually participate in the games so didn't feel like we missed out. Hardly anyone was smoking, or drinking or gambling. The lounges were all empty as were the pool bars. I thought that the ship was in very good condition, our cabin was nice (balcony cabin on deck 7 -- #7032) We spent most of our time in the Solarium pool and hot tubs (the hot tubs were crammed in tight – up to 10 ppl at a time!)

The Windjammer food seemed to be the same as on any cruise we've been on. We ate breakfast and lunch there and one dinner night. The main dining room was hit and miss for us. The dining times seemed a little strange to us 7:30 pm or 9:30 pm. We had a 7:30 pm seating our first night, they seated us at a table for 8, and only us and another couple showed. The other couple was from Colombia and didn't speak a lick of english, which ended up being very uncomfortable. For the next night we asked to be moved to the 9:30 pm seating. We ended up with a table for 2, this isn't our preference since we like bigger tables where we can get to chat with people -- but I think this would have been difficult since so many people didn't speak any english.

We ate in Chops one night, and had excellent service and food. Other than our table there was one other couple in the restaurant and two other tables that were RCCL ship staff. I chatted with our wait staff and they did mention that all week there had been no more than 16 people booked into the restaurant at one time -- not so good.

The Ports:

Cartagena was our first stop, based on info from the Ports of Call board here, we found a taxi to take us around. Roul Bossa was our driver, he did not speak perfect english but we managed, he taught us some spanish and we taught him some english. He took us to Castillo de San Felipe de Barajas (great views from the top - US$7 each to enter), the old city and the new city f-- about 4 hours for US$50. The Fort was cool, the tunnel system was fun to navigate. Our driver knew enough not take us to the old city during siesta time (around 2:00 pm-ish) when the shops were closed, so he took us to the new city first where we went to Coffee And and Mister Emeralds. He also took us to an emerald factory/shop they weren't pushy at any of the stores. We headed back to the old city, where we parked the car and Roul walked us through the old city explaining all the statues/monuments. The Palacio de la Inquisicíon was closed when we arrived, but we could peak in through the gate. We did see the The Church of San Pedro Claver. We felt very safe in Cartagena, there were military/police everywhere you turned.

In Santa Marta, we opted to just hang out and walk around town. There is a beach right beside the port which looked nice. They were doing lots of construction on a seawall making improvements. You can tell that they are working hard to improve the tourism. There were a couple of problems in this port. Two RCCL staff members were stabbed in the back for their backpacks, one was hurt worst than the other. Also 2 guests that took a taxi tour were aboundened by their driver who stole their bags. The taxi driver was caught and the guest got their things back. This would be a good port to take a ship excursion or just walk around town. I probably wouldn't carry a bag or purse around town and as long as you don't make yourself too flashy and stay within populated areas you should be fine.

Curacao was lovely, again we just got off the ship and wondered around the shopping area and the floating market. We ended up snagging a tour bus (US$15 each) highlights tour Queen Juliana Bridge, Willemstad, Blue Curacao Liquor Factory, Scharloo Jewish Neighborhood, Spanish Waters Bay area, Mambo beach (where you were welcome to stay and they would pick you up later). It was really nice. Getting back to town we walked down to Rif Fort – there was a great little cheese shop there where you could get a huge wheel of guada cheese for $45 US.

Aruba was really great. We spent the morning in the shopping district, then took a city bus to the hotel district MooMba Beach - 15 minute ride and a fare of $1.25 per person each way. The beach was nice, the water was clean and clear. We did the 3:00 pm tour with Jolly Pirates (US$33 each for 3 hrs) booked that morning from an info booth. The two snorkeling sites were good, plenty of fish to see.

Bonaire was the best snorkeling. I didn't have a lot of time to research this location before we left, so we decided to book the ship excursion (US$57 each). The tour co. was Seacow Charters, Eric and crew were fantastic. We were the only english speaking on the tour, but both Eric and his crew spent time with us to explain everything before we got into the water. Saw HUGE fish here and a turtle, for me this was a highlight of our trip. After our excursion we went into town to have a walk around. The town is small with a few cute shops, mostly souvenirs shops.

Lastly we had sea day which was pretty uneventful, spent the day lounging in the solarium pool. Because there were only 2 Diamond members on the ship, all returning RCCL cruisers were invited to the Diamond/Platinum Member brunch event on this day which seemed nice to us, but the Diamond Members that sat at our table mentioned that it wasn't as nice as they usually get. The hotel director sat at our table and talked a lot about the planning that went into this cruise. He also mentioned that it is the responsibility of the TA that we booked with to inform us that this is an immersion cruise geared towards Spanish people. There were some complaints from English Only guests that said that they were not informed that this cruise was immersion.

We had an 8 am disembarkation time, and found it fast, so fast that we were standing outside waiting for Mario and Friends by 8:05 am. We spent the day on a city/locks tour with them which was also well worth it. We stayed at Country Inn and Suites that evening which was nice(booked by Mario). The Amador Causeway boardwalk made for a nice evening walk. There were many young families out and we felt very safe. Mario was at the hotel bright and early the next morning (5 am) to take us to the airport.

We very much enjoyed our cruise and the ports. and you can tell that both Panama and Colombia are working very hard to grow/improve their tourism.

Thanks for your post. We'll be taking the same cruise on March 15. We were aware of the Spanish immersion but have a similar sense of adventure and liked the non-touristy S American ports. Was wondering if the announcements would be in English so appreciate that answer. Did they make any attempt to seat you at dinner with other English speaking families / Americans?

Also, we're flying into Panama City and then going over to Colon and am working on ground transportation. Did you fly into P City or Colon?

Thanks

How full was the ship? It would be cool to go check out those ports and go for an immersion cruise.

First, to the OP, thanks for the lengthy and detailed review. I've got family, well in-laws family, still in Panama, and they plan to sail out on 22 February. Of course, they're Panamanian so this is no immersion cruise for them! My MIL is on that roster and one week later she sails with us on Voyager of the Seas out of Galveston. I suspect that for her, THAT will be an immersion cruise!

And now for "Rancher Dave:" Dave, I suspect this is about the best time to introduce myself because I've been reading your posts on a host of threads, mostly out of Texas, not trolling, just sort of fence sitting, and I appreciate your interest in adventure. Having lived in Panama for nearly 18 years, having brung (I know my Texian English) not only a wife and three out of four daughters born in Panama, and having been to Colon and the Free Zone and retained possession of my hands and fingers, I'd suggest that there might be better ways to get to those southern Caribbean islands. Not more exciting, but easier. And if you surmise that it's "cool" to do this one, I've got some breeding stock steers I'd love to sell you!! :-)

Seriously, you've been a great source of information - especially after Ike - and I wonder how you found time to post prolifically, do your ranching, and keep your day job. Do you sleep? But as a long time RCL cruiser, a genuine Texan (born and bred), and someone whose wife probably is about to let me take my last cruise on any ship for a decade (8 Mar to Cozumel, Roatan, and Costa Maya, all old hat but fun to revisit), please keep 'em coming! Anyway, based on the thread I started on the Roll Call, we've got a wild bunch and some of them I suspect you know, at least thru their avatars.

BR, See you on the big board,

T Lex

P.S. To TP: thanks again for your review and I've forwarded it to the family in Panama. BTW: we sailed Rhapsody out of Vancouver back in 1998 when she was new and doing Alaska and loved your home city. And one quick question: was smoking generally prohibited on board Enchantment? From my own experience, albeit nearly a decade removed, "No Fumar" was generally a joke in Latin America: everyone lit up just about everywhere. Would be nice if times have changed.

Hey there, the ship was not completely full on our trip. I hear they are having trouble filling the ship for March and April.

We came into Panama City a day early and I booked with Sol Melia Hotel who sent a driver to come pick us up at the airport ($75US for 2). Mario and friends can also pick you up at the airport and take you to Colon for around the same amount.

I don't think smoking was prohibited, it just didn't seem like anyone was smoking.

Thanks for your post. We'll be taking the same cruise on March 15. We were aware of the Spanish immersion but have a similar sense of adventure and liked the non-touristy S American ports. Was wondering if the announcements would be in English so appreciate that answer. Did they make any attempt to seat you at dinner with other English speaking families / Americans?

Also, we're flying into Panama City and then going over to Colon and am working on ground transportation. Did you fly into P City or Colon?

Thanks

Colon does not have a commercial air port . All commercial flights come and go out of PTY Panama City. It's 41 miles to Colon...as I kiddingly have said ...It's four lane super highway ....ALL dirt. LoL RCL will trans port you by bus for $40.00 one way p/p. We were on the repo. from FLL to Colon on Nov 28th. About half full. And, stayed on the next 7 day cruise. About half full. The port was organized chaos! It will take them awhile to get up to speed.

Thank you so much for posting this detailed review! We will be leaving in a week on this cruise. I think you have posted one of the first full reviews on this cruise. We have our cruise itinerary planned now, and after reading your review, I think our plans are fine. We have a tour planned in Cartagena and ship excursion in Santa Marta. Did you hear anyone talk about Tayrona National Park?

Thank you so much for posting this detailed review! We will be leaving in a week on this cruise. I think you have posted one of the first full reviews on this cruise. We have our cruise itinerary planned now, and after reading your review, I think our plans are fine. We have a tour planned in Cartagena and ship excursion in Santa Marta. Did you hear anyone talk about Tayrona National Park?

I heard that that is the best tour to take in Santa Marta. I wish now that we had booked it.

Enjoy your cruise, I'm sure you will love it!

• 8 months later...
Colon does not have a commercial air port . All commercial flights come and go out of PTY Panama City. It's 41 miles to Colon...as I kiddingly have said ...It's four lane super highway ....ALL dirt. LoL RCL will trans port you by bus for $40.00 one way p/p. We were on the repo. from FLL to Colon on Nov 28th. About half full. And, stayed on the next 7 day cruise. About half full. The port was organized chaos! It will take them awhile to get up to speed.

I am thinking about the taking the Nov 28, 2009 repo cruise.

The RCCL person was a bit sketchy on the doc requirements.

I know that flying into Panama, you would normally have a visa (consulate) or tourist card (from airline/airport?)

Do you need anything, other than a passport, if arriving by cruise ship, and departing by air?

Archived