What should I pack for a Nov. Transatlantic

madepaz

My family and I are sailling on the November 6th sailing from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale on the Celebrity Constellation. This is the first West Bound Transatlantic Cruise we are taking and am wondering about what to pack. Does any one know what the temperature will be like Spain and in the Canary Islands? What is the temperature and weather while crossing the Atlantic. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

My family and I are sailling on the November 6th sailing from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale on the Celebrity Constellation. This is the first West Bound Transatlantic Cruise we are taking and am wondering about what to pack. Does any one know what the temperature will be like Spain and in the Canary Islands? What is the temperature and weather while crossing the Atlantic. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

It will definitely get warmer as you sail further south towards Florida. Check out www dot wunderground dot com and search your various port of call. There is an almanac of previous years, so you should be able to search that too.

Edited by DiamondPlusDan

Layers - thats the best idea on a TA. Take a light jacket and a sweater. Long pants as well as shorts and tee shirts. You just can't be sure of the weather on the Atlantic. Have done several TA's (we are on this one also, have you joined the rollcall?). We are hoping for some decent weather as we will take a South Atlantic route and the further south we get the warmer the weather (technically). Spain will be warm but not hot and the Canary Islands should be very pleasant. We just did a TA in late June and had only one decent day, the other 5 days were foggy and miserable. We arrived in New York to blazing sunshine. DiamondplusDan has offered you some good advice. Do some research, it all adds to the anticipation of the cruise.

Lived in Madrid and Naples, Italy for a total of six years. Most people do not realize that Madrid is as far north as New York City. November will be cool, jacket and sweater weather, but not extremely cold. The Med moderates the weather. Also, you will find that the buildings are not as well insolated as in the US.

We sailed the first two weeks of December, from Barcelona to the Canary Islands and on to Fort Lauderdale, and it was beautiful. Never cold. We had rain on our last sea day coming across the Atlantic. Very nice, 70s, 80s and 90s. Pack like you would for a seven-day cruise from Miami. Don't overpack!

Have a great time!

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Take some binoculars.

When I did my most recent WE TA in 2005, I brought 3 2000-piece jigsaw puzzles with me. We were on Galaxy in the PH suite, so I had plenty of room to leave a puzzle out day after day.

I also brought a couple of novels.

Left everything but the binoculars when we disembarked in Galveston.

Cheryl

We're on the cruise with you - we did a late Nov/early Dec TA in 2008 from Barcelona to Miami. It was very chilly in Barcelona and the first few ports (take into account we are from South Florida so anything below 65 is chilly :D). But I have to agree what was said - layers is the way to go - bring some short sleeve shirts, a sweatshirt, jacket and you're ready for the trip. We were in t-shirts and shorts towards the end of the cruise.

Marianne

I've done several TAs and agree with the others. Layer. Never needed more "warmth" than a jacket over a long sleeve knit turtleneck top, slacks with trouser socks. I always have a sweater with me for the ship when they crank the a/c down cooler than I like as a back-up under the jacket. Never needed it.

I don't remember anyone complaining about not being prepared for cold but plenty not prepared with shorts and tees for the warm weather.

Tucker in Texas

• 7 years later...
Is anyone sailling Nov. 4, 2017 on the Silhouettte? We were wondering how dressy the ship will be with 7 days at sea.

Hi,

It wont be very dressy. Rest assured there will be some in tux and gowns but many men will wear just a nice shirt and slacks, some will have a jacket. And for women black slacks or skirt and a nice top. with fun jewelry.....

Its so hard to pack everything when you are gone for so long.

Is anyone sailling Nov. 4, 2017 on the Silhouettte? We were wondering how dressy the ship will be with 7 days at sea.

We are on the same cruise. You can basically dress up as much as you wish. Men are no longer required to wear jackets, check out the info Celebrity provides for dress code.

Agree with all of the above. We did our fist WB TA last year, until we got past the straits of Gibraltar, it was generally cool in the mornings (light jacket or top) and pleasantly warm in the afternoons (shorts weather). Take a rain jacket as you might get a rain shower or two. Once you pass Gibraltar, its warm sailing all the way to Florida’s on the southern Atlantic route. Shorts and flip-flops.

Really casual evenings inside and outside.

Cheers

Tom