West Coast Luxury Cruises??

kath00

Hi,

We are looking to book a luxury-type cruise for my parents for their 40th anniversary next Summer. They live in LA and really cannot fly (can drive to SF or SD though). Are there any truly luxury cruises from the West Coast?

We also looked at some of the Owner's Suites in the larger cruise lines like HAL, RC and Princess but I think they might prefer a smaller setting.

Mexico or Alaska/Pacific Coast would be great destinations I would think.

Thanks! Katherine

Regent usually has an Alaska cruise that sails from San Francisco but it disembarks in Vancouver, so a flight back would be necessary. This usually sails in May of each year. They also have an amazing cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles that makes stops throughout Mexico.

Although not luxury, Celebrity has a number of Alaska cruises that are roundtrip from Los Angeles. Take a look at them. You can search at their website by selecting Los Angeles as departing port.

Crystal has yet to announce this to the public, but at a travel agent pow wow held aboard the Serenity last May, they are planning to have the Symphony sail 12 day round trip cruises to Alaska out of SF during summer of 2011.

Silversea usually has a couple of round trip LA cruise which sail to the Mexican Riviera in the Fall. Not an exciting itinerary but no flights involved. I'm not sure if they're doing Alaska next year but if they are they always have a couple of round trip San Francisco 12 day cruises.

I looked up July 2010 cruises out of San Francisco, and the one luxury line that has a cruise is Silversea. Be sure to look at the details. There 7/6/2010 cruise is R/T out of San Francicso but the next one is one way from San Francisco to Vancouver. Based on what you said about not wanting to fly the July 6 one would seem to be better.

I don't see any other luxury lines having cruises out of Los Angeles or San Diego in July 2010 that meet your criteria.

The other option is to look at other times of the year but if you would prefer the summer time then it looks like Silversea may be the best option if you want a luxury cruise line.

Martinsfo, I too would have mentioned that Crystal might be a possibility as there has been some chatter about them offereing R/T San Francisco cruises but please keep in mind that the OP was asking about the summer of 2010 rather than 2011.

Keith

Wow! If Crystal does decide to do the Summer of 2011, that would be FANTASTIC. Dream come true actually, both for the folks and for us. The only summer RT summer cruises right now to AK are on the older Princess ships... At leas they are not the behemoth 3000 passenger ones. But still, they'd love a smaller, more personal experience and AK is my favorite destination. :) We'd have to work out the fact that it's a year AFTER their anniversary but still...

Thanks for the other suggestions. I will take a look at the itiniaries you suggested.

Katherine

Just looked at the July 6, 2010 Silversea cruise -- San Francisco - San Francisco -- 12 nights (the one Keith recommended). It really looks like a great cruise with an itinerary to match.

I cannot imagine a parent who would not love to be on a 382 passenger luxury ship. Having the added bonus of being all-inclusive with open seating is also a plus.

IF Crystal decided to run a similar itinerary in 2011, it would be nice as well. My concern would be that the prices and incentives may not be as good for 2011 itineraries. Hopefully the economy will be in recovery and prices will be back to "normal".

Note: many "specials" for 2010 have to be booked by August 31st. It may be worth talking to a TA who specializes in luxury cruising. If you don't have one, there is a list of TA's on the Silversea website.

What you are doing for your parents is truly wonderful!:)

Archived