Snorkeling Punta Sur, Skyreef,Money Bar

mawvkysc

I'm starting to plan our mid November day in Cozumel. I'm thinking of using Black Hat or ToursPlaza for touring. We may want to fit in some snorkeling. How is the snorkeling at Punta Sur? Does anyone know the rental fees? If we do Punta Sur would that be similar enough to the "wild side" as far as scenery? How hard would that road be for an older person?

If we don't go to Punta Sur what are the differences between Skyreef and Money Bar? I see Skyreef has a package for $18 that includes gear and a drink etc. What are the rental prices at MB. It's not listed on the website.

I am NOT an expert. But, have been planning our upcoming cruise. So I will jump in ....

You can answer many of your questions by looking here on CC, and also youtube videos of these different sites can be helpful.

Many reviews, photos, videos, etc...

I would love to be able to snorkel Punta Sur, I understand it is really great! But, it seems that it is quite a swim out to the reef, and often the swim back is more demanding, due to currents, etc???? We would love to see Punta Sur, and if there seems to be time, will def. pay the entry and go down in there. But, I will not be able to do that snorkeling. I also believe that you have to drive all the way down into the park, (which is where the best beaches are), but also takes a bit of time.

We have hired a driver, who we find recommended here on CC.

We are thinking of checking out the snorkeling at a place like Sky Reef.

I am thinking that if we just take a cab there, and then have our driver meet us and start our tour there, that this would save time on his clock, instead of having him hang around waiting... and leave more time for circling the Island.

Happy planning!

I am NOT an expert. But, have been planning our upcoming cruise. So I will jump in ....

You can answer many of your questions by looking here on CC, and also youtube videos of these different sites can be helpful.

Many reviews, photos, videos, etc...

I would love to be able to snorkel Punta Sur, I understand it is really great! But, it seems that it is quite a swim out to the reef, and often the swim back is more demanding, due to currents, etc???? We would love to see Punta Sur, and if there seems to be time, will def. pay the entry and go down in there. But, I will not be able to do that snorkeling. I also believe that you have to drive all the way down into the park, (which is where the best beaches are), but also takes a bit of time.

We have hired a driver, who we find recommended here on CC.

We are thinking of checking out the snorkeling at a place like Sky Reef.

I am thinking that if we just take a cab there, and then have our driver meet us and start our tour there, that this would save time on his clock, instead of having him hang around waiting... and leave more time for circling the Island.

Happy planning!

You seem to have a good handle on your plans and research, and make some good suggestions.

We have toured many times with different drivers from ToursPlaza. You have a good idea to taxi to Sky Reef and have a driver meet you there to avoid waiting costs.

Sometimes we have done the reverse and taken a tour and then been dropped off at a southern beach club to enjoy dinner and sunset, then taxi back. All depends on your port hours and activities but for you it makes sense to snorkel first and then take a tour and maybe drinks and food after.

Easy to get taxi to, or from, the main southern beach clubs.

I'm starting to plan our mid November day in Cozumel. I'm thinking of using Black Hat or ToursPlaza for touring. We may want to fit in some snorkeling. How is the snorkeling at Punta Sur? Does anyone know the rental fees? If we do Punta Sur would that be similar enough to the "wild side" as far as scenery? How hard would that road be for an older person?

If we don't go to Punta Sur what are the differences between Skyreef and Money Bar? I see Skyreef has a package for $18 that includes gear and a drink etc. What are the rental prices at MB. It's not listed on the website.

Cannot comment on the actual snorkeling but PP has posted what i have also read about snorkeling there. Also describes the long road through the park to the area. As far as i am aware Papitos is currently closed but maybe the other bar and facilities are open? I think you should check with Eduardo at ToursPlaza, or Cresencio before you leave if this is important.

Punta Sur is a worthwhile place to visit and has its own website describing facilities. There is a lighthouse which gives you a great view from the top but there are a lot of narrow steps and the final exit at the top is a little difficult. It is at the very southern end of Cozumel just as you turn to go round the east side. The main route round the island goes in a circle, down passed southern beach clubs on west side, round the bottom, back along east coast then back across the transversal to the main town, San Miguel, and back to your port (one of three).

I am not sure i understand your question regarding how hard would the road be?

Punta Sur is certainly on the quieter side of the island, but unless your sole aim is to go there for the day and return to the ship, i think it would be a pity to not take the road completely round the island and see the rest of the scenery. I dont think there would be much difference doing the same route both ways or doing the circle although if you add in stops it can take longer and you would be coming back through town (unless you go round the other way!). If you mean the road through the park - as i recall it is all unmade (more recent visitors will correct me if i am wrong).

Unfortunately the main highway going south and even along parts of the east coast are no longer directly adjacent to the ocean so there are stretches of highway where you wont see much unless you keep cutting to and from the main road, which all adds time. Hope this makes sense. Take a look at Google maps and i believe you can do a virtual ride round the whole island and you will see what i mean.

Thanks everyone so far. Yes, I did mean the actual road within the park. I had heard in years past that it was very bumpy.

I have done the whole loop of the island before. I know how beautiful it is and really want some of the group to see it. If we snorkel I think we would prefer for it to be at the end of the day.

Money Bar emailed me the snorkel rental rates.

Locker $10

Paddle Board $15/25 (half or full hr)

Snorkel gear with guide $25

Snorkel Gear all day $20

Can't find much online about rates for Playa Corona. I asked over on another forum website as well. I have heard there is a $5 entrance fee unless you buy food. ( As opposed to just drinks)

I thinking of Skyreef or Playa Corona now if we snorkel. Skyreef is a pretty good deal at $18 plus a drink, tequila tasting (and a 5 min massage lol) PC seems like it would be less crowded and an easier entry to the water. How busy does Skyreef get in the afternoon? (There will be 4 Carnival ships in port and one RCI)