Explorer of the Seas Alaska, umbrella question

hyster

Alaska is pretty much always raining during the summer (Ketchikan is actually in a rain forest). The cruise line doesn't offer anything, I definitely recommend a breathable rain jacket and either a poncho or a travel umbrella, depending on personal preference. For Alaska we usually just go with our rain jackets and don't bother with an umbrella, but if you don't have a breathable jacket and tend to overheat, an umbrella is great (personally I can't stand ponchos)

You're better off with a poncho anyways.......much easier hands free......

Absolutely agreed.

A crowded port is no place for an umbrella that could poke someone in the eye. I've tried umbrellas in various ports, gave that up. A cheap rain poncho from the dollar store might be the ticket. Buy a few of them and throw them in your suitcase.

Poncho's or hoodies. In previous cruises to Alaska we have gone on, they have had a limited supply of things like this on board to sell, but never a guarantee. Umbrellas are really a bad idea. Some folks just layer up, and bring a cheap clear plastic rain poncho to use as needed. The forecast for the 24th sailing is mid 50's and rain most days, which also can translate to high fog conditions. If either of these things cause visibility to be a major factor, the cruise line cancels excursions that would be a safety issue for passengers.