Adventure St. Maarten - The Race

Dixie1337

Was just wondering if anyone has done this excursion since Irma hit St. Maarten? Anyone had it booked and cancelled? If so how far in advance did they inform you it was cancelled?

I'm booked to do this at the beginning of march, but based on facebook & trip advisor and the complete lack of reviews & posts there, I'm not convinced the company that runs this is actually running tours right now. I booked through the cruise line (Royal Caribbean). I haven't been contacted to say it's not running, but that doesn't surprise me, even if it's not running.

Was just wondering if anyone has done this excursion since Irma hit St. Maarten? Anyone had it booked and cancelled? If so how far in advance did they inform you it was cancelled?

I'm booked to do this at the beginning of march, but based on facebook & trip advisor and the complete lack of reviews & posts there, I'm not convinced the company that runs this is actually running tours right now. I booked through the cruise line (Royal Caribbean). I haven't been contacted to say it's not running, but that doesn't surprise me, even if it's not running.

We are going on the Harmony next weekend with my oldest son and his family. They had this booked well in advance and found out about a month ago it was cancelled due to local operator difficulties.

Perhaps this is worked out now, fingers crossed!

Thanks for replying!

I was actually able to find the contact information for the tour operator and they let me know that the date we're supposed to do this excursion (March 8) is the first date that they're restarting the tour post hurricane. I'm super excited!

Thanks for replying!

I was actually able to find the contact information for the tour operator and they let me know that the date we're supposed to do this excursion (March 8) is the first date that they're restarting the tour post hurricane. I'm super excited!

That's good news! I'm curious to hear how it goes. I have it booked for the March 25 Oasis sailing and I just got an e-mail from Royal Caribbean saying that they changed the difficulty level of the shore excursion from "moderate" to "strenuous". All the reports I've read so far sound like a solid "moderate" to me. I'm wondering if something changed with the tour or if they're just being overly cautious.

We did the family here the summer of 2016, August.

We met at the pier and they walked us to our first check in space and went over the rules and divided us into teams, some families just stayed as one unit and other teams had as many as 8-10 members.

All members must stay as a group to get to the next clue, so keep that in mind when teams are picked or just stay as a smaller unit.

Some groups had participants in it that should not have been on this tour for whatever reason..

Some girls wore flip flops, not a good idea.

After all the instructions and safety features, attendants on bikes with walkie talkies and cell phones we started our first challenge and once completed got our next clue.

Off we went.

Some were physical challenges, others were mental.

One in the museum was to find a certain item.

I would never had seen some of the sights on this island had I not done this tour.

One of the mental ones we were not permitted to use our cell phones to google.

We lost a lot of time on this one.

There were challenges that all had to do, and some only one member of your team had to do.

There were 2 breaks where you could purchase water and use restrooms.

We had fun, did not win, came close but it was fun and would do again.

Some helpful hints.

Dress appropriately I wore a tank top and shorts over my bathing suit and wore running shoes.

Took one bottle of water off the ship for each of us and drank before the excursion.

DH wore a back pack but only had a towel, suntan lotion and a camera, (pack light, whatever you take you carry).

The last challenge on our race was a water challenge and one person had to swim and accomplish a task, not hard but wore them out.

Our DD did this for the team in record time, but we did not make up enough time to win.

We were defeated at the Mind challenge.

Do funny stuff along the way especially when they take pictures, extra points.

At the end, you are tired and included is the water taxi ride back to port, use it!

We bought Ice cold water on it to drink we were sooooo thirsty and it wasnt too over priced.

Enjoy, we did.

That's good news! I'm curious to hear how it goes. I have it booked for the March 25 Oasis sailing and I just got an e-mail from Royal Caribbean saying that they changed the difficulty level of the shore excursion from "moderate" to "strenuous". All the reports I've read so far sound like a solid "moderate" to me. I'm wondering if something changed with the tour or if they're just being overly cautious.

Yes we just saw this as well and am wondering what caused the reclassification. While I don't mind some activity, I am not sure strenuous is what I want ona cruise.

-F-

I'd be happy to report back after my trip :) Spoiler free, of course.

I got this email as well (took me a while to even figure out what changed), but when I went to the cruise planner the excursion was still available and still showing as moderate. Also I went to the tour operator's website and there was no update to physical ability there either. They show it as being easy with no age or fitness restriction:

https://www.trisportsxm.com/adventure-race-st-maarten-tour-9.html

So I'm ignoring the email :)

Witherwings we are on this sailing to and might be doing this! I think it looks like fun and if it tires my kids out even better lol!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were supposed to do Nassau, St Thomas, St Maarten, but instead are doing San Juan, St Thomas, Nassau. We’re supposed to dock in San Juan at 3pm today But the boat has been rocking so hard all day it kept waking me up all night so I’m questioning if we’ll be able to dock in San Juan at all. We’ll find out soon! That’s cruising for you.

If the swells are this bad in the old Bahama channel I’m really glad they diverted us even tho I was really looking forward to st Maarten

• 2 weeks later...
Are you allowed to do this as a couple? I would hat to slow someone else down.

Cheers

-F-

Yes. There were many couples they put together on teams of 4 to 6. We had a couple join our family. One team of two competed as its own group too.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick follow up. we did The Race and LOVED IT. So much fun.

We were paired up with another couple and ended up making friends with them. As far as this being strenuous, if you decide to run then yea, you are running in the caribbean heat, but unless you are seriously trying to win, then it is just a lot of walking.

Cheers

-F-