MSC Orchestra - Anyone sneek water in luggage

italiancruiselover

All modern cruise ships have water purification systems that produce purer water (less salt and chemicals) flowing from your cabin faucets than the majority of bottled waters. It really makes little sense to bring bottled water on board.

IC,

I have read one other threads here where people have been seen carrying on cases of water in both checked & carry on, I have other cruise lines. Will be on the Orchestra on Feb 14. Unlike the previous poster, rather than give you information you didn't want or really need, I will post when I return.

IC,

I have read one other threads here where people have been seen carrying on cases of water in both checked & carry on, I have other cruise lines. Will be on the Orchestra on Feb 14. Unlike the previous poster, rather than give you information you didn't want or really need, I will post when I return.

A gratuitous insult. These must be the MSC boards.

slhull54,

Your characterization of my advice on the quality of shipboard tap water as unwanted and unneeded and by implication, the insult to me, demonstrates both ignorance and bad manners. While the OP may not have specifically asked about the quality of tap water on board, s/he, like many others, may be unaware how well it compares to expensive bottled water. If these people knew about the purity of shipboard tap water, many would not be bothered to bring bottled water on board thereby saving themselves a hassle and considerable money. The latter would be of special signifcance to people choosing a budget line like MSC. That was my motive in replying to the OP.

One wonders why you even bothered to respond to the OP inasmuch as you really don't provide an answer, just a promise to answer in the future...and the wisecrack aimed at me. I will assume you do not dispute the accuracy of my statement about the quality of shipboard tap water. If you do we can explore that. In the meanwhile, you should not be so quick to insult others who are attempting to provide useful information to those who use the boards.

Sorry I have been slow in doing this, but I owe you an apology. I scoured these boards for months TRYING to find information about MSC, and especially the Orchestra. One could go days and sometimes weeks before anything new would show up before the Orchestra TA. I began to notice your responses were not all glowing, but were well thought out and written from personal experience. I should have given more weight to what you were saying, but I did consider it and used it to try to prepare myself and my DW for the upcoming sailing. I expected the pushy, line breaking passengers we encountered because of what I had read here. I expected to either pay for water, ask for iced water, or receive vouchers for water. I expected, even anticipated, the food to be different having spent time in Italy. I did NOT pay enough attention to your warnings that service/quailty may be less than expected, thinking that as this was a new ship coming into a new market MSC would certainly put forth their best in order to get that immeasurable benefit of "word of mouth" recommendations. Didn't happen.

Let me take this opportunity to give you a well deserved thank you for your opinion, even though it was not what I wanted to be hearing at the time. Even in the face of these flames you have hung in there and tried to offer what I feel is an honest, EXPERIENCED, reply to questions that have been raised on this board. It seems that some folks on here have an excuse for everything negative posted about MSC and are ready to lash out at anyone for making a differing opinion know. Well, I'm fed up with it so, unfortunately, I think this is it for me posting on the MSC board. I'm sure someone will pipe up "good riddance", after all this is the MSC board.

From reading posts from the most recent sailing, and seeing the shameless bashing that is going on, why would ANYONE take the chance to post a less than sweet, happy, glowing report? Hang in there owl, maybe there are a few who haven't committed to a sailing that would like something other than a sugar-coated report to base their booking on.

Has anyone tried sneaking water bottles and snacks in their luggage? were you successful???

Yes, we did take bottled water and soda on the ship in our carry-on. We also carried a gal. of distilled water on the ship.

Owl-61, you are right about the water on the ship, it actually tastes better then the water we have here at home and better then most bottled water IMHO. I know I won't be carrying a bunch of full bottles on board anymore, just 2 or 3 empties to refill whenever needed.

Let me take this opportunity to give you a well deserved thank you for your opinion...

From reading posts from the most recent sailing, and seeing the shameless bashing that is going on, why would ANYONE take the chance to post a less than sweet, happy, glowing report? .

I'm very flattered. Thank you. There was, in deed, a paucity of info on the MSC boards before the arrival of the Orchestra. My contributions were minor and mostly in the nature of summation of what had been posted by others who possessed more up to date info.

In answer to why I continue to post in such a seemingly hostile environment ( MSC does seem seems unique in this regard, doesn't it?) , well, first and foremost, I have lots of time on my hands. Secondly, although some contributors react vindictively to even accurate, negative criticism, I still enjoy exchanging info with those kindred spirits from whose experience I can benefit and who may be able to benefit from mine (I live in Rio and Buenos Aires and post more in So Am ports than in MSC).

Anyway, we sail around the horn on the Radiance of the Seas on Mar 13 and I look forward to meeting and sharing independent excursions with some "friends" established via the roll calls - another reason to participate in CC. Happy cruising to you and family, lawton54.

We always take a case of water onboard as were afraid of the salt content, Security opened that suitcase as it was so heavy & didn`t say a word. There has been quite a controversy on the Orchestra, my comments have been very positive sailing on Jan. 10th. That was my 4th on MSC. I have also sailed on every other line as I live close to port. As for Carnival, I have never made any comments on it but after sailing on the Legend, we did not care for the ambience. Constantly being asked whether you want to but drinks while your trying to read, loud noisy passengers bumping into you with beer baskets. Unable to get away from smokers, even on your own balcony. This is not for me. Even in the lounges, the main one is partially enclosed & the smoke unbearable, which made it impossible to enjoy dance music. The Orchestra had very set areas for smokers, entertainment was great & food as good as it gets on ships, although I will say, yes it is better on Crystal & Regent, but then I paid for that luxury.

Owl: I wanted to say thanks also. Your perspective helped me tremendously. I'd be honoored to share a drink with you on the deck of any ship!

IAnyway, we sail around the horn on the Radiance of the Seas on Mar 13 and I look forward to meeting and sharing independent excursions with some "friends" established via the roll calls - another reason to participate in CC. Happy cruising to you and family, lawton54.

The HORN?? Holy Cow. WHAT an awesome adventure! I look forward to reading about it.

With respect,

Cheryl :)

our friend took 2 1 gallon jugs in shopping bags I had 2 sixpacks of soda and my mom had 2 32 oz baileys the only thing taken was moms baileys and returned to her the morning of debarkation and just so everyone knows Orchestra is a Pepsi ship not coke

Was just getting back you with concerning taking water on Orchestra. We just carried a case of water through the check in. There is a Walgreens 1 block from the port, on the right side before your turn onto street to enter the check point. They carry spring water. Even though the ships water is tolerable, it was nice to have cold bottled water in the room. There is plenty of room in the fridge to keep some cold. We also took 12 packs of soda in our suitcases. We are not coffee drinkers and my husband has to have his diet coke first thing. Hope your experience with MSC is enjoyable.

Just got back from 2 weeks on the orchestra and brought in my checked luggage 4 bottles of wine and a case of beer no problem!

Was your case of beer inside the checked luggage?

Just curious since we will be sailng this Saturday and plan on bringing some of our own beverages also. ;)

Archived