Gatwick Express

We were planning on taking the Gatwick Express into London, but I just read that the train is now used as a commuter train for people coming from Brighton and that the train can now be full, resulting in no room for luggage and standing room only for passengers at Gatwick. Has anyone had experience the past year riding the Gatwick Express into London on weekday mornings specifically? Was the train full? Would you recommend it?

Alternatively, if we take a private car service, would you estimate closer to an hour or closer to 2 hours if heading into London around 10:30 AM on a weekday?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You're confusing different trains. The Gatwick Express is a dedicated train that travels non-stop between LGW and Victoria station. You can also travel on a regular commuter train between LGW and a variety of London stations. The Gatwick Express is built for luggage, the commuter trains not so much.

You're confusing different trains. The Gatwick Express is a dedicated train that travels non-stop between LGW and Victoria station. You can also travel on a regular commuter train between LGW and a variety of London stations. The Gatwick Express is built for luggage, the commuter trains not so much.

Thank you for trying to reassure. In 2016 they added a stop in Brighton before the train reaches Gatwick. I verified this on the Gatwick Express website. You’re right that it’s nonstop from Gatwick into London. That’s not the issue. The issue is that the article and commenters indicated that the train would fill up with commuters from Brighton, making it difficult for people boarding at Gatwick. In other words the train now runs Brighton-Gatwick-London instead of just back and forth between Gatwick and London.

I believe it is only half the Gatwick Express services that run to/from Brighton. Gatwick Express is not a separate Train Operating Company, it is a brand of the GTR franchise that also runs Southern and Thameslink, and they extended the services some time ago to provide more seats on the incredibly crowded Brighton - London line. The old Gatwick Express rolling stock was not compatible with the route so they swapped to more standard carriages (although the operator says there is the same room for luggage). The whole thing is a mess and the ticket restrictions almost incomprehensible (and perhaps unlawful...)

But if you get one of the trains starting at Gatwick you may have better success with finding room. I can’t offer personal experience, because if I have the misfortune to use Gatwick I travel to London Bridge.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

... if heading into London around 10:30 AM on a weekday?
If that's when you set off from Gatwick, you'll have missed the commuter peak. So I would have thought it unlikely that you'd have real problems. As Cotswold Eagle says, you can simply wait another 15 minutes for the next Gatwick Express that actually starts at Gatwick.

And at the very worst, it's standing for half an hour, which is less standing time than a peak-time Tube from central London to Heathrow (which is my common misfortune); you could think of it as blending in with the locals by sharing a daily commuting experience. ;)

Thank you for trying to reassure. In 2016 they added a stop in Brighton before the train reaches Gatwick. I verified this on the Gatwick Express website. You’re right that it’s nonstop from Gatwick into London. That’s not the issue. The issue is that the article and commenters indicated that the train would fill up with commuters from Brighton, making it difficult for people boarding at Gatwick. In other words the train now runs Brighton-Gatwick-London instead of just back and forth between Gatwick and London.

In early October, 2017, we had an overnight flight from Canada land at Gatwick and we took the train into London. The staff at the airport were great in pointing us to the correct platform for the Gatwick Express but the platform was packed and we ended up waiting for the next one which seemed to come quickly. But that train was full of morning commuters from its last stop, and there was no where to sit or put our luggage, though we did get on right away. So we stood with many other travelers for the 1/2 hr with our luggage between or legs or in front of us. Though it is a smooth ride, if you have luggage with spinners, hang onto it or you can run it into other people standing. This can also prevent you from sitting on it for the trip. The train car was packed so be prepared. You also have to be able to lift your suitcase into the car yourself, so keep that in mind if you have heavy luggage.

Having said all that, we would take the train again. It was a quick and reasonable priced way to travel from the airport into London.