Best Packing List Ever

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:45 PM.
Katherine NT Australia
551 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
bump for all those about to sail
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous Cruises
Pacific Star - Moonlight Serenade - Birthday Cruise
27th May 2006 - 9th June 2006
Pacific Star - Week Fantastique - Anniversary Cruise
29th Sept - 6th Oct 2007
Pacifc Sun N740 - 18th Dec - 27th Dec 2007 - Family Christmas Cruise
Pacific Sun N929 - Week Tropique - 19th Sept 2009-25th Sept 2009 -Long Service Leave Cruise
Pacific Dawn - Week Fantastique 20th-27th November 2010 - mum and daughter time

Pacific Jewel - 27th June 2014 - Sydney/Brisbane/South Pacific/Brisbane
Newcastle/Hunter Valley NSW
2,114 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Bump........

Can anyone add anything new?

Jenny
>^..^<
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jen

Me on: Facebook

* 13 October, 2011: Pacific Jewel - Bounty Adventure to Tonga
* 28 March, 2012: Pacific Jewel

* 21 May, 2011: Pacific Jewel
* 8 October 2010: Pacific Sun - sailing out of our home port of Newcastle. It was great.
* 1 February, 2010: Pacific Jewel - circumnavigation of New Zealand
* 21 October 2009; Pacific Dawn
* 20 March 2009; Pacific Dawn to Samoa
* 3 October 2008: Pacific Dawn .......
* 9 November 2007: Pacific Dawn - MAIDEN VOYAGE
* 30 April 2007: Pacific Sun.......
* 9 June 2006: Pacific Sun
* Dec 1964 - Jan 1965: P&O Oriana - Southampton to Sydney (8 yrs old)
Queensland
1,516 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
bumped for acdc
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
22 cruises down & not sure what is next!!
Fair Princess x2, Pacific Sky x2, Pacific Sun, Pacific Star x3, Pacific Dawn x5, Rhapsody of the Seas x3, Oriana (ok the Oriana cruise was only two nights!), Sun Princess x3, Sapphire Princess, Voyager of the Seas

<SMALL></SMALL>
71 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Thanks, what a great list ...wow, looks like I might have to pack a larger suitcase! But all so sensible, Thanks goodness there are no weight restrictions!
Newcastle/Hunter Valley NSW
2,114 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Hat clips. It can be very windy when tendering or just being on deck. Never lose your hat over the side again. These are two alligator clips with a small length of cord between them that clip your hat to your shirt.

Travel Thermos Cups. We took two of these. We are early risers and we filled them up with coffee, grabbed a croissant or danish (or both) and headed up on deck to watch the sun come up and enjoy the early morning. Our coffee stayed hot and didn't spill. They were great. Buy short, stocky ones. Why? Because ours were a bit too tall when we filled them at the coffee machine.

Jenny
>^..^<
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jen

Me on: Facebook

* 13 October, 2011: Pacific Jewel - Bounty Adventure to Tonga
* 28 March, 2012: Pacific Jewel

* 21 May, 2011: Pacific Jewel
* 8 October 2010: Pacific Sun - sailing out of our home port of Newcastle. It was great.
* 1 February, 2010: Pacific Jewel - circumnavigation of New Zealand
* 21 October 2009; Pacific Dawn
* 20 March 2009; Pacific Dawn to Samoa
* 3 October 2008: Pacific Dawn .......
* 9 November 2007: Pacific Dawn - MAIDEN VOYAGE
* 30 April 2007: Pacific Sun.......
* 9 June 2006: Pacific Sun
* Dec 1964 - Jan 1965: P&O Oriana - Southampton to Sydney (8 yrs old)
Canberra, Australia
5,110 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
I know I am starting to pack all sorts of crap but... the removable wall hooks were great. Originally 3m brand. I bought some from the reject shop for $2 for 8 and they were great for hanging up the toothbrushes. If you pack the heavy duty ones you could hang tolietries bags etc off them.

Other thing I reckon is a must if you have room is some sort of li-low (sp?) for snorkelling. We took a pool hammack (what a hassle) but it was the best thing ever. Two people could lay across it and float above the coral. In lifou I went over coral I never could have swum over becuase it was about 5 inches below the water level.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email me
Some of my Travel Photos

Central Coast NSW
265 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Lucky the beauty for most of us is cruising is a one stop holiday- jump on and off a plane ond onto a ship or in my case straight from home to ship. We can take heaps and not have to be bothered with packing and unpacking before we even get onboard. Just throw it all in.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-Geri

Cairns, Nth. Qld
241 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by aussiedisneyfan

Other thing I reckon is a must if you have room is some sort of li-low (sp?) for snorkelling. We took a pool hammack (what a hassle) but it was the best thing ever. Two people could lay across it and float above the coral. In lifou I went over coral I never could have swum over becuase it was about 5 inches below the water level.
Great idea. We use the pool noodles (?) when snorkling on the reef here, but although light-weight, they would take up a lot of luggage space. I would think anything inflatable (even a child's swim ring...no, not in one, on one ) would work well.
Cheers
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nerissa

Star R631 Week Fantastique
Sydney
175 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
I am thinking of something sort of cylindrical that you plug in, and used mainly by the ladies...........yes that's right hair wands. My wife would hate to go somewhere without hers.

What? what did you think I meant? Honestly the minds of some people, lol.

Also I swear by a bum bag and a aqua wallet. the aqua wallet is ideal for keeping some money with you and your key card when ashore and having a dip. It beats leaving it on the beach or having to take turns swimming.

The Aqua shoes are great we used them in the Mediterranean as their beaches are not often/always sand.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

www.classicpartyboats.com.au

Sun Princess Facts:
Year built: 1995; Shipyard: Fincantieri, Italy; Length: 856 feet; Beam: 105 feet; Public Decks: 14; Passengers: 1,950; Crew: 900

Grand Princess - 06/08/05 - Greek Isles / Mediterranean - Rome to Venice
Brisbane
1,100 Posts
Joined May 2006
Does anyone have anything to add to what is here. I am trying to put together a list for the 3 first time cruisers going with me on saturday and i am stuck for things to add.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CRUISE PICS
Pacific Star - R608 Golden Getaway 8th March 2006
Pacific Star - R640 7 Night Delight 2nd December 2006
Pacific Sun - N906 Week Fantastique 14 February 2009

Coming Up
Dawn Princess - D910 Sampler Cruise June 5 2009
The Beer Garden

My Photo Gallery (not of the cruise kind though)
Originally posted by Riffraff
but I guess it's not the size that matters, it's how tall the pointy bits are!
Brisbane
285 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by Star-Man
Does anyone have anything to add to what is here. I am trying to put together a list for the 3 first time cruisers going with me on saturday and i am stuck for things to add.
We took with us those fold up bed things for floating across the coral at Lifou with. People on the ship were pulling faces at us with them but once we got to Lifou they were excellent. We laid on ours and just floated across the coral. Some of the coral comes up quite high so it was much easier floating across it on the bed. After we just let the air out and folded them back up - not too heavy to carry either. Make sure you take your reef shoes!
Queensland
1,516 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Hi All,

Thought you may be interested in our updated Packing Tips & Tricks. We will be including this in our Cruise Survival Kits.

Cheers,
Charmain

Packing Tips & Tricks

Before Packing:
  • Make a list of what you need to take & check it off.
  • If you are travelling with someone co-ordinate your packing. Sharing common items such as an alarm clock or first aid kit, even shampoo & conditioner, toothpaste & other bathroom supplies will save you from each having to pack the same items.
Packing Tips:
  • Carry all documents, medicines, essentials and valuables with you in your carry-on. Consider slipping in a change of clothes if you want to change for dinner in case your bags don't arrive quickly enough.
  • Place anything that could ruin clothes, such as shampoo, sunscreen & toothpaste into a sealed plastic bag (zip locks are grate for this!).
  • Roll your clothes to best utilise the space in your suitcase (this will also reduce creasing). Or get a vacuum pack to save space (remember these will reduce the volume of your clothes not the weight!).
  • Pack socks inside your shoes to help them keep their shape & save space.
  • There is no laundry on the Star. This also means there are no irons. Either iron before you go, take no iron clothes, get some Iron Free spray from the supermarket or just wear unironed clothes!!
  • Again no laundry! - try to pack clothing that is reusable, i.e. can be worn more than once. Just remember the Febreeze to freshen it up!!
Luggage tips:
  • When attaching the labels supplied by P&O ensure you peel off both sides and stick together.
  • Make sure every bag has an additional name tag attached in case the one supplied by P&O falls off. Your bag should then find it's way to your cabin and you won't have to look for it.
  • Make sure you have room to bring home your souvenirs. You may want to pack an additional bag (or two!).
  • Tie some bright coloured ribbon onto your bags or use a luggage strap that will help you to identify your bags (especially if they are black and look just like everyone else's).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Fair Princess x2, Pacific Sky x2, Pacific Sun, Pacific Star x3, Pacific Dawn x5, Rhapsody of the Seas x3, Oriana (ok the Oriana cruise was only two nights!), Sun Princess x3, Sapphire Princess, Voyager of the Seas

<SMALL></SMALL>
Queensland
1,516 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Hi All,

Thought you may be interested in our updated Packing Tips & Tricks. We will be including this in our Cruise Survival Kits.

Cheers,
Charmain

Packing Tips & Tricks

Before Packing:
  • Make a list of what you need to take & check it off.
  • If you are travelling with someone co-ordinate your packing. Sharing common items such as an alarm clock or first aid kit, even shampoo & conditioner, toothpaste & other bathroom supplies will save you from each having to pack the same items.
Packing Tips:
  • Carry all documents, medicines, essentials and valuables with you in your carry-on. Consider slipping in a change of clothes if you want to change for dinner in case your bags don't arrive quickly enough.
  • Place anything that could ruin clothes, such as shampoo, sunscreen & toothpaste into a sealed plastic bag (zip locks are grate for this!).
  • Roll your clothes to best utilise the space in your suitcase (this will also reduce creasing). Or get a vacuum pack to save space (remember these will reduce the volume of your clothes not the weight!).
  • Pack socks inside your shoes to help them keep their shape & save space.
  • There is no laundry on the Star. This also means there are no irons. Either iron before you go, take no iron clothes, get some Iron Free spray from the supermarket or just wear unironed clothes!!
  • Again no laundry! - try to pack clothing that is reusable, i.e. can be worn more than once. Just remember the Febreeze to freshen it up!!
Luggage tips:
  • When attaching the labels supplied by P&O ensure you peel off both sides and stick together.
  • Make sure every bag has an additional name tag attached in case the one supplied by P&O falls off. Your bag should then find it's way to your cabin and you won't have to look for it.
  • Make sure you have room to bring home your souvenirs. You may want to pack an additional bag (or two!).
  • Tie some bright coloured ribbon onto your bags or use a luggage strap that will help you to identify your bags (especially if they are black and look just like everyone else's).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

<SMALL></SMALL>
Queensland
1,516 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
And here is the updated Packing Checklist.

Cheers,
Charmain

Things to take in your carry-on:
  • Tickets & passports!!
  • Medication
  • Any valuables (incl. cash & jewellery)
  • Motion sickness tablets
  • Cameras (with heaps of film or memory!)
  • Anything you need straight away!
Things to pack:
  • Swimmers, sunscreen & a shady hat
  • Comfortable shoes to wear on board
  • Small torch
  • A light jacket for evenings
  • Small sewing kit
  • Febreeze
  • Room freshener
  • Wide mouth water bottle
  • Backpack or overnight bag
  • Lanyard
  • Highlighter (or bingo dabber)
  • Non electric alarm clock (non ticking!)
  • Formal outfits
  • Underwear!!
Nice to haves:
  • Binoculars
  • Reef shoes (buy from Big W for about $10 a pair)
  • Small shoulder bag for onboard
  • Wet ones
  • Rain poncho or small umbrella
  • Walkie Talkies (recommend at least 1 watt)
  • Email addresses for you mates
Things you probably won't need:
  • Towels (beach towels are supplied)
  • Soap (unless you like shower gel)
  • Board games
  • Rubber gloves for washing up!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

<SMALL></SMALL>
Western Aust
226 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Fantastic lists charmain!! Many thanks.
Have already started getting bits and pieces together...not leaving it all till the last minute. My 20yo son thinks i'm nuts when I came home the other day armed with sunscreen/wet ones/small sewing kit and various other items to put away for April. As i told him..it's never too early to start and it saves buying it all the week before!!!

Cheers!

Karen
sydney, australia
6,521 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
I am like you karen. I am already picking up stuff.
I expect some people do not even bother to unpack just wash and repack ready for the next one.lol
Western Aust
226 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Ive just had my suitcase out on the bed.......looking at clothes i've progressively been buying over the past few months.....me thinks i have too much!! Trying to cull as we speak....'oh but i might wear that'...'hmmm will i need that?.... all my answers seem to be YES just in case!!..In case of what i'm asking myself. So what if i wear things three times!! (or more). And they do have a laundry service. It looks as though i'm purposely trying to fill the suitcase to its absolute capacity. One of my VERY bad habits...even if i'm only going away for a weekend...I always pack TOO MUCH!!! HELP!!! Any ideas to help convince me I don't need it all???

cheers

Karen

Pacific Star Easter Sunrise R714 April 5, 2007