New Florida resident and need your advice please

sunnydaysmile

We just moved to the Tampa area and have a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. I have been searching for hours and have found information on park n go, hotels that offer park, stay, cruise packages, etc,

What I am looking for is the best options to get from Tampa to Fort Lauderdale. Is the best price to drive and pay tolls, hotel, parking, etc?... is there a bus option? ...train option?

All advice appreciated :)

You could also consider one way car rentals each way to avoid the parking fee and putting miles on your car.

How many are in your party? Southwest fares are currently $86-$90 each way, so flying would save you not only time, but gas, tolls, meals, miles on your car and even hotel. Coming from Tampa I wouldn't be afraid to fly on the day of your departure. There's a 10:00 AM flight that arrives at 11:00 AM as well as one that departs at noon arriving at FLL at 1:05 PM.

It is about a 4.5 hour drive from Tampa to Fort Lauderdale -- I would bet my hat that two one-way car rentals are cheaper than flying round trip (especially if you factor in the cab/shuttle to/from TPA or airport parking).

Good luck! :)

It is about a 4.5 hour drive from Tampa to Fort Lauderdale -- I would bet my hat that two one-way car rentals are cheaper than flying round trip (especially if you factor in the cab/shuttle to/from TPA or airport parking).

Now add in tolls, gas and a meal on the road. I'm not sure they would save that much. While the fare is $86 now, I'm pretty sure that would drop from time to time between now and December. Southwest runs $59 fares regularly.

Now add in tolls, gas and a meal on the road. I'm not sure they would save that much. While the fare is $86 now, I'm pretty sure that would drop from time to time between now and December. Southwest runs $59 fares regularly.

I doubt that they would have a meal on the road for such a short drive.

Actually I did the drive last April. From my house to the port area was about 3 hours (cruise control set to 80).

You're being very vague with "about 3 hours" or you live south of Tampa because it's over 250 miles from the center of Tampa to Port Everglades via the Turnpike. Even if you set your cruise control on 80 and never had to slow down at all the entire way you still couldn't make it in 3 hours.

We just moved to the Tampa area and have a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. I have been searching for hours and have found information on park n go, hotels that offer park, stay, cruise packages, etc,

What I am looking for is the best options to get from Tampa to Fort Lauderdale. Is the best price to drive and pay tolls, hotel, parking, etc?... is there a bus option? ...train option?

All advice appreciated :)

We live in Venice and either do 2 one-way car rentals for longer cruises or drive over the night before and use one of the hotels where you can leave your car for the duration of the cruise.

Living in Tampa you may already have bought the Sunpass so no worries about toll roads if you use your personal car.

Sorry I was working and got pinged so I couldn't fully answe. I live in Wesley Chapel just north of the city 5 minutes from I75 and I do travel faster then the posted limit. If I traveled at the speed limit it would take 3.75

You could also consider one way car rentals each way to avoid the parking fee and putting miles on your car.

How many are in your party? Southwest fares are currently $86-$90 each way, so flying would save you not only time, but gas, tolls, meals, miles on your car and even hotel. Coming from Tampa I wouldn't be afraid to fly on the day of your departure. There's a 10:00 AM flight that arrives at 11:00 AM as well as one that departs at noon arriving at FLL at 1:05 PM.

One way car rentals will incur about a $ 250 drop off fee each way so unless the parking fee is over $ 500 that wouldn't be a good idea.

You would lose your hat because 2 sets of drop off fees alone would be about

$ 500.00 plus the rental fee, insurance, and gas

Not every rental car company in Florida has drop off charges. I've used Budget, Dollar, Thifty, and Alamo within the last few years and never had any drop off charges. Most rentals were between Cape Canaveral and Fort Lauderdale and Orlando and Fort Lauderdale. I would check with the each individual company before I made an actual reservation.

One way car rentals will incur about a $ 250 drop off fee each way so unless the parking fee is over $ 500 that wouldn't be a good idea.

That is simply incorrect.

I've rented cars in Tampa and Dietemann above does it regularly.

Most of the national rental car companies in Florida do not have a drop charge if you pick up and drop in Florida.

You would lose your hat because 2 sets of drop off fees alone would be about

$ 500.00 plus the rental fee, insurance, and gas

We always do one way rentals. Most rental car companies in FL don't have drop fees within FL. If you own and insure a car with collision, or use a credit card that covers rental car insurance (Like American Express) you should not pay for additional insurance. Not sure, call and ask.

It takes us 4 hours to drive from Citrus Park to FLL, I drive fast, but those other cars always get in my way.

I've rented Hertz in Tampa and dropped at FLL with no drop charge. I think the other folks here have used Alamo, Budget and Thrifty, but I'm not for certain.

We rent Avis or Hertz, whichever has the better rate. Drop off (no extra fee) at FLL and taxi to port.

Archived