the best of the worst

Blamar

okay, there is so much written on which are the cabins to get, the great villas or Owner's suites; the advantages of of a balcony over an inside cabin; and there are those who prefer inside rooms over a cabin at the front.

In our travels we have met people who loved the roll of being up at the bow, or feeling secure low in the middle decks.

So in your opinion, Where is the worst cabin location or is there even a worst spot?

Afterall, just being on a cruise is pretty terriffic. :-)

OK, I'll be first.... I don't know if NCL has these, but we once got upgraded from a OV GTY to an obstructed view balcony on CCL. We had balcony cabins before this (not obstructed) but for this particular trip we were paying for 2 cabins (4 people) and selected OV GTY to save money. Well the obstructed cabins were great and the price we paid for them, even better!

I know many people in the general cruising community do not care for Freestyle dining (so will not travel on NCL) but when you're traveling as a couple and really not in the mood to sit with others, FS is the best!

You can have a different table with a different view every night in the dining room, get to meet crew from all over the world, if you have a server you don't care for -it's nice to know you won't have to endure them all week, you will be seated at a table of 4 even though you're only 2 (and not on top of another table), can have alone time on the upper decks or hot tubs when everyone else is getting ready for dinner...

Most important: we live in a micromanaged world in every day life -rushing around on a schedule all the time .... it's so nice to dine, when you want to. Now that's a vacation!!

We had an AE aft a few weeks ago on the pearl, the room was beautiful and very spacious, but there did seem to be alot of movement, but I loved the sound and view of the wake. I think the next cruise we would choose an inside or a Ov , for the amount of time we spent in our room I just dont see paying that much again, we loved it, we just didnt spend enough time in the room to justify the exta cost.

When the Sky was still in its first incarnation we took a cruise the Southern Caribbean and had an aft oceanview just below the Garden Cafe. Never again will we get a cabin situation in that area of a ship. The location was good in that all we needed to do to get to breakfast was walk up one flight of stairs. But, every morning you woke up to the sound of scraping chairs above you. Very, very annoying. :mad:

We booked at the very last minute for an Alaskan cruise a few years ago. The price was DIRT cheap! Our inside cabin was the on the very lowest passenger deck and the most forward room. The first port was a tender port for us (Sitka), and we both sprang out of bed wide awake when we heard the sounds of the anchor being lowered! Fortuneately that was our only tender port, but that was really a rude awakening!:eek:

We sailed on the Jade this past summer and the travel agent somehow put us in an HC cabin on deck 8 with lifeboats in our view, but it worked out just great as we could see plenty despite the boats, and the location was very handy for getting around the ship. Anyway, we were on a cruise with a beautiful ship so there was not much that could go wrong.

Smooth sailing, Howard

We had an obstructed OV on the Star once. It was right above the disco. Never again -- we were kept awake til 2:00-3:00AM every night!

Also, we had lifeboats obstructing our view. That wasn't bad - but it was a shock to have a worker right outside our window one morning.

We always look at the deck plans now to avoid any disappointment!

Archived