Newlywed Game Questions

Keep in mind that each cruise director has his own version. While most keep to the script, some do change things around. On ours on the Holiday, we had to go behind the curtain, and change into boxers, boa, and mask. At the end, we had to come out and dance for our mates.

One question that stands out is "How would you best describe your wife's backside?" The first guy from Alabama says "Target". My answer was "A mural waiting to be painted". Some joker in the audience yells out "Suck up".

Dave

That's the answer I've heard on every cruise I've been on where the newleywed game was played.

After you see it repeated it stops being funny. Knowing that some of the answers are staged kills it. It makes you start to wonder how much of the cruise is fake. It takes away from it knowing that the people who get on the ship after me will hear the same exact answers, then the people after them, and the ones after them...week after week. Every time the cruise director will pretend to laugh like he's never heard it before and every time the audience will explode with laughter. Week after week. Year after year.

You know how when you found out about the easter bunny being fake you felt stupid for every believeing it? It's sort of like that.

Josh, you sound a bit jaded!:rolleyes:

If the CD is good, then the Newlywed game can be tremendously funny, even if you've seen it before.

repete, keep in mind that what you answer may not be what the CD says out loud!;) Hope you make it on stage!:D

The first time I saw the show another answer choice for this question was "A missionary." The husband in the 50 years couple answered, "A hooker dressed as a nun in the missionary position." His wife then hit him with the clipboard and that was one of the greatest moments of the cruise.

Was this last year on the Holiday? We heard the same thing, unfortunately my DH walked out just before that question.

On the two Carnival cruises I've been on many of the same questions were used which makes me think that the cruise directors do have a "script" to follow and I'm sure they improvise.

On Freedom, the couples were seated back to back on stage and each asked to write the answers on a yellow pad.

On Inspiration, the husbands went backstage into a "soundproof booth" while the wives stayed seated onstage answering the questions. What really was happening is that an assistant cruise director was prompting the husbands with certain answers. I know this because we talked with one of the couples at breakfast one morning. That kind of ruined it for me. I know that the CD wants to make it entertaining, but sometimes "natural" responses can be the best and funniest.

On all the cruises I've been on, they have picked three couples. One who has been married the longest, the shortest (typically onboard the ship) and one couple in between. That makes it interesting.

If the CD is good, then the Newlywed game can be tremendously funny, even if you've seen it before.

repete, keep in mind that what you answer may not be what the CD says out loud!;) Hope you make it on stage!:D

I'm not jaded, but after seeing the exact same show 3 times I'm so sick of the newleywed game. Every time they put the guys in shiny boxers with the boas and all that, made some of them lie about their occupation, etc.

It seems like they would realize that this kind of ruins things for past cruisers. They've been doing it that way for at least 4 years that I know of. Why not change it up?

First of all to those who don't like the game - don't go! No one says you have to attend!

Also, it really depends on how long you have been married if you get to go up. We have been married 40 years and so are always right in between the age groups so don't really have much of a chance unless it's for the oldest couple but there always seems to be someone who is on their 50th anniversary cruise!

We enjoyed it so much that I used the same idea at our Relay for Life event the last couple of years and it's always a big hit with the crowd. You never can tell how some couples will answer the questions!

I wonder how many people remember the when this question was ORIGINALLY answered on the Newlyweds show and WHY it never aired then ? :D

I saw it on one of those As Seen On Tv Moments (or something similar) where Bob Ubanks was showing the segments of his funniest moments. They still bleeped out the ladies response but it was pretty easy to guess that it wasn't the answer they had in mind lol

I loved this game. The funniest question I heard was "You haven't seen ugly until you've seem my wife's ______"

The 20s early 30s something husband said "my wife's wake up face" LOL

The 40s something husband said "my wife's wake up hair" LOL

And the kicker...the 60s+ maybe 70 something husband said "my wife in the nude" :p everyone was rolling when he said that. The older couple made the game so hilarious

they did not force us to use anyi particular answers when we were on the game. We did a good job on our own coming up with stuff. ;)

The couple that had been married 50 years were the funniest -- I think the question was the weirdest place you've ever made love - the wife said bed. The husband said in the back of his car. ;)

That is excellent, thank you!!!

You're welcome!

We were never "prompted" with any answers and Skip (the CD) read our answers as we wrote them. We were seated back to back in 3 pairs of chairs on the stage.

Sounds like every CD does it differently.

I wonder how many people remember the when this question was ORIGINALLY answered on the Newlyweds show and WHY it never aired then ? :D

:eek: :eek: :eek: Yikes, I remember seeing that on a most outrageous type show!!

We were on another cruise (Sad to say it was Premier Cruiselines, God rest their souls!) and they did the Newlywed/Not so Newlywed game on there. I heard

one of the best question/answers I have ever heard.

Let me give you a little background about the couple

before I post the question. This couple were in their 70's

and he was a little hard of hearing.

The CD asked all the ladies while the guys were out of

the room, "What is your husband's favorite Condiment?"

One said Mustard, the second Salt and the oldest Pepper.

Well they brought the men back and asked them the same question.

The first guy said - Mustard - a match!

The second guy said - Mayonnaise - no match

The last guy said .......

TROJANS!!!

Everyone roared over that one and the wife smacked the husband a good one. Needless to say, he was known after that show as Mr. Trojan!

I agree with you. Even though the questions/answers may not change from cruise to cruise it is still funny. It always seems the old couple has the funniest lines. I also like the CDs list of top 10 questions asked on the cruise. That never grows old either.

First of all to those who don't like the game - don't go! No one says you have to attend!

Also, it really depends on how long you have been married if you get to go up. We have been married 40 years and so are always right in between the age groups so don't really have much of a chance unless it's for the oldest couple but there always seems to be someone who is on their 50th anniversary cruise!

We enjoyed it so much that I used the same idea at our Relay for Life event the last couple of years and it's always a big hit with the crowd. You never can tell how some couples will answer the questions!

Really?!! I don't have to go?

Why do people make asinine statements like that? I know full well that I don't have to go. The only reason I went back last time was because I was hoping that it would be different. Should I just assume that every show will be like the first and never go to another if I don't like it? If that were my mentality I would have never went on another cruise after going on the Holiday for the first time. This thread is about the newleywed game. Just like others, I am saying what I think about it.

What if I said "For all of you who like the game - go see it. No one says you can't attend". See how silly that statement is?

We were on another cruise (Sad to say it was Premier Cruiselines, God rest their souls!) and they did the Newlywed/Not so Newlywed game on there. I heard

one of the best question/answers I have ever heard.

Let me give you a little background about the couple

before I post the question. This couple were in their 70's

and he was a little hard of hearing.

The CD asked all the ladies while the guys were out of

the room, "What is your husband's favorite Condiment?"

One said Mustard, the second Salt and the oldest Pepper.

Well they brought the men back and asked them the same question.

The first guy said - Mustard - a match!

The second guy said - Mayonnaise - no match

The last guy said .......

TROJANS!!!

Everyone roared over that one and the wife smacked the husband a good one. Needless to say, he was known after that show as Mr. Trojan!

I've heard that question/answer in a game on one of the cruises I've been on.

Coincidence? :eek:

That's the answer I've heard on every cruise I've been on where the newleywed game was played.

After you see it repeated it stops being funny. Knowing that some of the answers are staged kills it. It makes you start to wonder how much of the cruise is fake. It takes away from it knowing that the people who get on the ship after me will hear the same exact answers, then the people after them, and the ones after them...week after week. Every time the cruise director will pretend to laugh like he's never heard it before and every time the audience will explode with laughter. Week after week. Year after year.

You know how when you found out about the easter bunny being fake you felt stupid for every believeing it? It's sort of like that.

The Easter Bunny is fake ? ? ? ? :eek:

Seriously, I know exactly what you are talking about. There used to be two cruise directors (no longer with Carnival except on some special occasions) that always used an 80 year-old retired Baptist minister and his wife for one of the couples.

Then the question, "Where was the last place you made whoopie and when?" . . . The answer was always "On the Lido deck early this morning at 3:00 am." Of course, the audience came undone. However, it got to be so everyone on cruise critic new about it and started calling the cruise directors on it, so they, at least, temporarily kept those two contestants out of their act.

The same is true of the Bedtime Story . . . all staged with the cruise director always acting astonished and amazed that someone would do or say such a thing.

Sorry if I've burst any bubbles, but Josh started it with the terrible news about the Easter Bunny. :D

Hubby and I were in the Newlywed-Not-So-Newlywed Game on the Freedom last May, mainly because we had mentioned to John Heald (the CD) that we were on the original Newlywed Game television show back in 1970.

I don't remember any of the questions from the Freedom's game, but either they were way easier or we know each other much better now than we did 38 years ago. We got the most points on the Freedom and a big fat "0" on the TV show! *L*

• 10 years later...
I have seen the newlywed - not so newlywed game on Carnival cruises a few times, but this time I am considering playing (or trying to get selected to play ;) ) on my next cruise. My concern is that some of the questions may be more than I want to answer in public -- I am sure my kids will be watching. :eek:

I was just wondering if anybody remembers what questions were asked on the newlywed - not so newlywed game. I am particularly interested in the more risque questions, but it might be fun to hear some of the others.

Can any recent cruisers (or those with good memory) help me out? :)

Sorry for bumping an old topic but maybe my answer can be insightful for new contenders.

A friend of mine went on a carnival cruise in 2008 and recorded some of it. And one of the question was “sex was never the same way since ___ [blank]” and one couple gave such an awkward answer that I felt so bad for them. The husband’s answer was something obscured like “10 years ago” but the wife practically begged the host not to answer her own answer. She even screamed out of embarrassment and anxiety. Her answer was like “since we needed help”.

I think the husband wanted off the cruise after the game was over.

Moral of the story is don’t play the newlywed game if you prefer not to ask mildly awkward potentially and potentially sexual questions.

Sorry for bumping an old topic but maybe my answer can be insightful for new contenders.

A friend of mine went on a carnival cruise in 2008 and recorded some of it. And one of the question was “sex was never the same way since ___ [blank]” and one couple gave such an awkward answer that I felt so bad for them. The husband’s answer was something obscured like “10 years ago” but the wife practically begged the host not to answer her own answer. She even screamed out of embarrassment and anxiety. Her answer was like “since we needed help”.

I think the husband wanted off the cruise after the game was over.

Moral of the story is don’t play the newlywed game if you prefer not to ask mildly awkward potentially and potentially sexual questions.

I think you take the record for the oldest thread resurrection, 10 years.

The Cruise Director is making up his own answers. When you do a B2B, it is very obvious the CD has his jokes ready regardless of the couples' answers,