Mykonos beaches etc.

beebee

We will be stopping at Mykonos on the last day of our cruise and thought spending part of the day at a beach would be a nice way to end our trip. I just looked on the internet and it sounds like there are a number of lovely beaches but I am not sure where they are in location to the port or how easy they are to get to. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

We will also be stopping at Kros and Santorini. Althought we are not thinking of those as beach days if there is any beach that really would be worth going to we could adjust our schedule.

Thanks for any help!

We usually recommend folks take the local bus to Paradise Beach. This is one of the more popular beaches and it has lots of facilities including chair/umbrella rentals, a restaurant, rest rooms, and even a swimming pool (if its still open). The bus leaves from the bus station located near the windmills (the opposite side of town from the cruise port). Once at Paradise if you think its too commercial or crowded for your taste you can get a water taxi right from this beach that goes to some other less populated beaches such as Super Paradise. If you would decide to go to Super Paradise you could leave your swim suit (and clothes) at home :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We will be stopping at Mykonos on the last day of our cruise and thought spending part of the day at a beach would be a nice way to end our trip. I just looked on the internet and it sounds like there are a number of lovely beaches but I am not sure where they are in location to the port or how easy they are to get to. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

We will also be stopping at Kros and Santorini. Althought we are not thinking of those as beach days if there is any beach that really would be worth going to we could adjust our schedule.

Thanks for any help!

We booked a day at the Saint John Resort in Mykonos. They picked us up at the dock and brought us back as part of a price of 30 euros per person. The resort is beautiful and the pool looks out on top of the sea. I got to swim in both. There is a poolside restaurant/snack bar there.

How did you book a day at the Saint John Resort in Mykonos? We were going to do a tour to Delos in the morning, but a relaxing day may be a better idea. The resort looks lovely. Any help would be appreciated.

Kristin

You should just e-mail the hotel at sales@saintjohn.gr

They will coordinate with you. Good place.

Edited by Ljberkow

Is it possible to scuba dive from this beach?

No..unless you are happy doing Scuba over a sandy bottom. You probably should post some questions on the Scuba board. My understanding is that the best Scuba on many of the Greek Islands is best done from a dive boat.

Hank

No..unless you are happy doing Scuba over a sandy bottom. You probably should post some questions on the Scuba board. My understanding is that the best Scuba on many of the Greek Islands is best done from a dive boat.

Hank

Thank you. my husband is newly certified and I thought maybe when we head to Europe he could get a dive in!!!

How did you book a day at the Saint John Resort in Mykonos? We were going to do a tour to Delos in the morning, but a relaxing day may be a better idea. The resort looks lovely. Any help would be appreciated.

Kristin

The pool is beautiful at this resort as it is huge and overlooks the ocean. There is a flight of stairs to walk down to get to the beach. So the pool is actually over the ocean with great views and same with the hot tub. For 30 euros per person with shuttle included, it's a great getaway day because neither the pool nor beach at the Saint John are crowded at all. Sandwiches and burgers were probably around 8-10 euros and decent. One of the couples we cruised with made contacts at the resort and set everything up for three couples. I can see if he still has the contact information.

Hum....after seeing these videos of Paradise and super paradise beach, I think we'll opt for the resort....this is way to busy and "young" partiers for us!

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/super-paradise-beach-mykonos-greece-2007/f24e66850611753b9822f24e66850611753b9822-501771863348?q=super%20paradice%20beach%20mykonos

Hum....after seeing these videos of Paradise and super paradise beach, I think we'll opt for the resort....this is way to busy and "young" partiers for us!

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/super-paradise-beach-mykonos-greece-2007/f24e66850611753b9822f24e66850611753b9822-501771863348?q=super%20paradice%20beach%20mykonos

There are a couple of other resorts besides the Saint John. But they are the only one that I'm aware of that takes day visitors. It's nice they provide the free shuttle as well. You may want to contact them ahead of time to make arrangements and see if they kept the same rate and still provide pick up and drop off service.

Edited by hubofhockey

same here no return email to date....:cool:

Going back to public beaches, there's also Platy Gialos. It's on the south coast of Mykonos, to the west of Paradise beach, and it's much more of a family beach than Paradise. It has loungers and sun shades on the beach and a row of restaurants & small hotels at the back of it, so there are plenty of facilities available. We've been there three times and enjoyed it each time. The sand is good, it shelves quite gently, and I've had good swimming there. No snorkeling I'm afraid. (Well, I suppose you could, but there's nothing to look at.)

You can get there by bus from the same bus terminus that the buses to Paradise leave from. Bus fare is about €1.50 or so per person each way and the journey, on a slow bus, take perhaps 10 minutes or less. It's not much more than two miles from the bus terminus, perhaps two and a half from the centre of Mykonos harbour. There's a bus every half hour except over lunch time when the driver has a break and there's just one in an hour.

I contacted them, will be in Mykonos on May 7th. Got the following reply....

Thank you for your interest in Saint John hotel.

Kindly be informed that the Hotel will open for season 2011 on the 11th of May.

We look forward to welcoming you another time in our property.

Best regards,

Evangelia Vergini

Reservations Manager

Saint John Hotel Villas & Spa

Winter Office Hours:

Monday to Friday, 10:00am to 06:00pm

Tel: +30 22890 28752, Fax: +30 22890 28751

Email: sales@saintjohn.gr Url: www.saintjohn.gr

Aghios Ioannis Beach

PO Box 626, 84600 Mykonos, Greece

Going back to public beaches, there's also Platy Gialos. It's on the south coast of Mykonos, to the west of Paradise beach, and it's much more of a family beach than Paradise. It has loungers and sun shades on the beach and a row of restaurants & small hotels at the back of it, so there are plenty of facilities available. We've been there three times and enjoyed it each time. The sand is good, it shelves quite gently, and I've had good swimming there. No snorkeling I'm afraid. (Well, I suppose you could, but there's nothing to look at.)

You can get there by bus from the same bus terminus that the buses to Paradise leave from. Bus fare is about €1.50 or so per person each way and the journey, on a slow bus, take perhaps 10 minutes or less. It's not much more than two miles from the bus terminus, perhaps two and a half from the centre of Mykonos harbour. There's a bus every half hour except over lunch time when the driver has a break and there's just one in an hour.

Fantastic....sounds more my speed....here is high season I guess

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hx6DuZ0b2M&feature=related

We had a rental car to explore the rest of the island in the afternoon. Lots of nice beach options. Here are some visual samples to get you excited about the many potentials.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 37,565 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

On the opposite side of the Mykonos village on the island, here's a sampling of the beachside activities. This includes Agrari, Elia and the long sweeping Kalafatis beach that has become famous to wind surfers:

1A-Myk-Beach1.jpg

1A-Myk-Beach2.jpg

Here are some additional visual samples on the opposite side from the Mykonos village for various beachside activities:

MykBeachWalking.jpg

MykBeachHuts.jpg

MykBeachWindSurf.jpg

MykBeachOpenSand.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

We will be in Mykonos on June 3rd. I received a quick response from Saint John Resort after contacting them. They are offering the "day pass" at the resort for 30E pp, which is basically the use of sunbeds, pool and beach for the day , and transportation to/from the port. They also offer a deal with breakfast, massage and 3 course meal for 140E pp. We are definitely considering this option.

We will be in Mykonos on June 3rd. I received a quick response from Saint John Resort after contacting them. They are offering the "day pass" at the resort for 30E pp, which is basically the use of sunbeds, pool and beach for the day , and transportation to/from the port. They also offer a deal with breakfast, massage and 3 course meal for 140E pp. We are definitely considering this option.

Could someone please give me the email address to contact this resort. We will be in Mykonos on May 24th, but leave next Friday from home. Will I have enough time to receive an answer from them?

Cruising Kristin - Did you get an idea of how long the excursion is? We would like to have some down time in town before the ship leaves at 6:00 pm. We would only be interested in the pool/beach.

The email is reservations@saintjohn.gr

We, too, have booked (or at least nearly finalized a booking) a day pass for September at the resort. They have answered our queries by return with a form to complete which can be emailed or faxed back to them - they are very helpful indeed. They require credit card details so that in the case of a 'no show' they can charge to the card which is understandable as they arrange the transfers. I was not happy to put these details on an insecure site such as an email and they are content for the form to be returned up to 3 days before arrival and I will probably phone to give the credit card details or pay by bank transfer. As a matter of interest, how have others done this?

We are in Mykonos from 1pm to 11 pm and it looks as if it is a tender port, so we have arranged for a visit from 2pm until 5.30pm.

Please let me know your thoughts on your return. Thanks - Pam

We, too have booked the St John resort in Mykonos for our stop in August. I am really pleased to be going to an uncrowded resort as we have encountered quite unpleasant beach circumstances when in port with many other ships, at for example St Thomas. Worth the extra dollars for the day.

Thank you so much! We are also not keen on sending details like that over the Internet. We will have to FAX. The only problem with giving them the CC is that if it is raining, we don't want to go to the resort...or do we? That's 30Epp that we could save. ::cool:

Stella Jules - The next time you are in St. Thomas, go to Marriott's Frenchman's Resort. It's the resort you see on the point as you come in to port. You are not allowed to use the pools, but the beach is free and very nice and uncrowded. Beautiful views and ocean. We went there on our honeymoon over 30 years ago and have been back as a day visitor. The beach is called Morningside Beach. ;)

Edited by CruisinManiac

Yes, the credit card is a problem although I can understand that they have to send a car to collect us from the port and if we dont turn up because of the weather, they have lost money and manpower. I thought I would try and check the weather forecast prior to making a definite decision - then I'll phone with details if it seems OK. Also I suppose if one books the ship's tour to a beach (which doesn't appear as nice as the resort), one would still have to go even if it rained.