Inside cabins with sofa and changing cabins on B2B on QM2

oceansandseas

Wanted a balcony and also the same cabin for our B2B on QM2. Nothing left in sheltered (which we actually like) for 1st voyage and only guarantee in obstructed. Thought I would try an inside for 1st voyage as we would have to change anyway. Have seen some pictures were there is a sofa in the cabin but do not remember which cabins. DH likes an afternoon nap but not on the bed, but sitting on the sofa. A search on CC gives me nothing even though I believe I have seen it posted on CC before.

Our 2nd voyage shows lots of cabins available in the obstructed view (budget conscious). If we booked one of those, what would it be like to change cabins in New York (Brooklyn).

Thanks for any help.

Hi, I've never seen any inside cabins with a sofa on QM2 but there seem to be cabins with a sofa on QE and QV (the deluxe insides on deck 1). On QM2 there are three main types of balcony cabins, obstructed, metal sheltered and regular. Having sailed in both insides and metal sheltered balcony cabins I must say that the main difference is made by the sofa and not so much the balcony.

If you are budget conscious though I can recommend an inside cabin on deck 6 which is right below the buffet (for breakfast) and the outside deck with lots of lovely wooden deck chairs. Napping there is highly recommended.

There are photos of some QM2 Britannia Grade cabin types (Standard Balcony, Sheltered Balcony, Oceanview, Inside (& Accessible Inside)) here:

There have been furnishing and other small changes (moving the TV, provision of kettle etc) since these photos were taken, but in overall layout, they remain largely accurate.

You'll note that there is no sofa in an inside cabin on QM2 (if there are any cabins with them, I've not seen these).

Hope this helps :-).

The cabin change will be done by housekeeping. You don't have to be present. Everything on hangers will be transferred on a rack. Your packed bags will also be transferred to your new cabin.

As for napping, I had an inside on 10 deck and there was barely room for a chair. If the weather is nice the promande deck is a wonderful place to nap...but if the weather is bad there are also loungers up in the deck 12 pool area. The pool towels make a nice pillows and blankets for a brief doze.

The cabin change will be done by housekeeping. You don't have to be present. Everything on hangers will be transferred on a rack. Your packed bags will also be transferred to your new cabin.

As discussed earlier, this procedure can change. We did a B2B last October. It wasn't a transatlantic B2B, but a cruise from Québec to NY then a crossing to Southampton. We deliberately chose two different types of stateroom and booked the segments separately.

Our steward told us the arrangements for changing rooms was as BlueRiband has experienced. The day before arriving in NY, the steward said the housekeeping supervisor told him the procedure had changed and we had to pack everything except the large bouquet we had been sent. I put a luggage tag on it and it was moved along with our two cases. Since then I have read postings indicating the procedure was back to the previous method. If I do this again I would be prepared to pack everything on short notice.

If B2B passengers do not want to go ashore in NY, they still have to present them to the immigration officers. We were advised to wait until everyone else had been called ashore, so along with 200 or so we were advised to go ashore about 10:30. We were briefly concerned when we saw hundreds of people queuing for the inspection, but an officer screening people directed us to what appeared to be an "express desk" and we were processed in just a few minutes.

We then had to leave the terminal and re-enter through the other doors, go through security, then were directed to a waiting area where we were told we would be the first to board when the U.S. officials give us permission. We were back on board soon after 11:30.