What to do in Noumea?

I would only be into swimming and snorkeling in a place like that and the reef is some way out so in that port it is the only one that I would book an excursion.

The city sights would not interest me at all. If you are going to a tropical paradise famed for its reef and swimming activities then that is the thing to be doing.

The HOHO bus does a loop, tickets were $15 AUD by the information centre right near the dock (or where the shuttle buses drop you off). This bus can take you around to the aquarium and also to the better beaches like Anse Vata and Lemon Beach. There are also many nice eateries along the strip.:D

Hi there, we are going to N.C in November as well, but with P&O cruises.... We are looking at doing the tchoo tchoo train, but we had an option for french wine & cheese tasting included.

Also looking at going on the zodiac boat ride to duck island.

If money isn't an issue, do the Amadee Island day trip if you can. You'll need to book onboard early cos it sells out, but it's a great day, and includes lunch, entertainment and great snorkelling.

We enjoyed Amedee also - opted for that in part because it was a public holiday in Noumea the day we were there. Was pretty expensive - thought the lunch was so-so, but we had an incredibly friendly and informative guide, our tour included a trip round the island on the ferry (the one that brings you across from Noumea) and glass bottom boat ride, and plenty of time for snorkeling - lots of fish, lots of sea turtles, just watch for sea snakes - love snakes, so wasn't bothered by them in the least, and they do say it's pretty hard to be bitten by one (combination of snakes being pretty small and non-aggressive) - but there are lots of them about!

duck island has good snorkeling. I think the zodiac is an expensive way to get there, you can go by water taxi from lemon bay I think. might be worth investigating. we went by zodiac and as soon as we got to the island it started raining and made snorkeling unpleasant so then we had to wait for the zodiac to come back and get us but you would have to have bad luck for that to happen.

PS, I have also done tchou tchou train and it is a good overview of noumea. I bought tickets on the ship on my first cruise but if I went again I would do it at the terminal where all the local tour providers are.

duck island has good snorkeling. I think the zodiac is an expensive way to get there, you can go by water taxi from lemon bay I think. might be worth investigating. we went by zodiac and as soon as we got to the island it started raining and made snorkeling unpleasant so then we had to wait for the zodiac to come back and get us but you would have to have bad luck for that to happen.

correct

We enjoyed Amedee also - opted for that in part because it was a public holiday in Noumea the day we were there. Was pretty expensive - thought the lunch was so-so, but we had an incredibly friendly and informative guide, our tour included a trip round the island on the ferry (the one that brings you across from Noumea) and glass bottom boat ride, and plenty of time for snorkeling - lots of fish, lots of sea turtles, just watch for sea snakes - love snakes, so wasn't bothered by them in the least, and they do say it's pretty hard to be bitten by one (combination of snakes being pretty small and non-aggressive) - but there are lots of them about!

We did the Amadee Island trip on one of our P&O cruises and despite the cost felt it was a great day out and worth every penny. We thought the glass bottom boat ride was fantastic until M noticed a sea snake on the boat and was about to jump overboard to get away from it when the skipper just flicked it overboard.

We have done the zodiac ride out to Duck island and never thought we would end up hooning around Noumea harbor in a boat driven by a crazy Frenchman which was a whole heap of fun and all too short.

When we visit Noumea now we just get off the ship as early as we can and catch the HOHO bus around to the Bai de Citrons for a swim.

IMO the only ship excursion worth doing at that port is the trip out to Amadee Island.

Enjoy your trip.

Our November Royal Caribbean cruise will be stopping first in Noumea, New Caledonia. Any good suggestions regarding shore excursions (organised, or our own)? We are in our mid 50's, very active and will have no children in tow.

Ive started a thread on sightseeing ideas for the South Pacific, link below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2267858

Hope this helps!!

Ive started a thread on sightseeing ideas for the South Pacific, link below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2267858

Hope this helps!!

Can I just say this is an amazing thread, thank you LuckiePuris, and I have it printed out and hi lighted ready for my trip next week. Our first cruise to the Pacific islands.. Good work

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can I just say this is an amazing thread, thank you LuckiePuris, and I have it printed out and hi lighted ready for my trip next week. Our first cruise to the Pacific islands.. Good work

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks Willow for your kind words, have an amazing cruise!