Your Phone and Austrailia SIM Cards

650cs

I just got back from a month in Australia. We had a great time and I loved being able to use my phone. I had a hard time finding out what to do before I left, so I hope this will help someone else.

I went directly to the Vodafone counter in the airport to get a local SIM card. Vodafone has the best coverage in Australia. The price is the same no matter where you purchase a card. You are not paying more because it is at the airport and the airport location has the most experience with travelers. It took about 10 minutes from start to finish. I handed them my phone and they put in a new SIM card and made sure that it worked.

You must have an unlocked phone. The easiest way to determine if you have an unlocked phone is by putting in a SIM card from a different carrier. If you use Verizon, try putting in a SIM card from, say ATT. If it doesn’t work, your phone is locked. It would be nice to know this before you arrived. If you purchased your phone directly from your carrier, it is likely that it will be locked.I don't have any ideas about getting it unlocked, you would have to talk to your carrier.

They also secured my original SIM card so that I would not lose it. I purchased a plan that included 2gig of data, unlimited text and calls within Australia, 35 international texts and about 30 minutes of international calls for $20AUD. That is about $14 in USD and a terrific bargain. I loved having the use of my phone during the trip. The SIM card allowed me to use the internet over their cellular system.

A text sent to multiple recipients, with multiple pictures and a long message, only counted as one text. I set up a group, Family, that included about 6 people and sent about one text a day to them. I could check my usage as often as I wanted by phone. I used my phone for email, texting, Google, GPS and Maps, just as I do at home. At home, I rarely use more than 1 gig of data a month, and after a month, I had not run out of data on the plan. You might want to look at your statement to see how much data you normally use to see if 2gig will work for you. Of course, I used wifi when it was available.

I also downloaded the Opal app before I left home. Of course, the app is only usable if you have a phone. Opal is the name of the NSW public transit company and it is used for buses, trains and ferries. Using the app, it already knew my location and would ask me where I wanted to go and when I wanted to leave. After filling in the information, it would show the different ways to get there and the cost of each, and the time required for each, including how much walking was required. After selecting the option I wanted, it would show on the map how to walk to the bus, train or ferry stop, when to get off and how to walk to my final destination. It was incredible.

If you are going to be in Sydney or NSW on a Sunday, you can travel as much as you want for $2.50AUD. We saved our most expensive travel day for Sunday and saved quite a bit.

Thanks for posting

Only comment I'd make is that Vodafone certainly doesn't have the best coverage in Australia - the company that does is Telstra (sort of the equivalent of AT&T)

Vodafone has adequate coverage in metro areas but may be found lacking in rural areas

Travellers might want to check out the offers from the three mobile networks carriers:

Telstra

OPTUS

Vodafone

Good tip on the $2.50 Sunday travel - note that I believe that this is only when an Opal card is used - if buying paper tickets I don't believe it applies. The Government is trying to encourage the adoption of Opal cards

Gee...we spent a month in Australia last year, and never found a need or reason to even turn our phone on...

Not even google maps? I always get a local SIM when travelling, makes life a lot easier. Plus I have to check on my cat back home :)

Not even google maps? I always get a local SIM when travelling, makes life a lot easier. Plus I have to check on my cat back home :)

Nope. Phones have it, but we use Google Maps on our tablets, using the free wifi at our hotels, to plan any day trips or research routes, etc.

Thanks for posting

Only comment I'd make is that Vodafone certainly doesn't have the best coverage in Australia - the company that does is Telstra (sort of the equivalent of AT&T)

Vodafone has adequate coverage in metro areas but may be found lacking in rural areas

Travellers might want to check out the offers from the three mobile networks carriers:

Telstra

OPTUS

Vodafone

Good tip on the $2.50 Sunday travel - note that I believe that this is only when an Opal card is used - if buying paper tickets I don't believe it applies. The Government is trying to encourage the adoption of Opal cards

I was going to say the same about the claim Vodafone had th best coverage, by the same tokens there are many places where one will be better than the others.