Thinking of cruising from New Oreans...HELP

Ok, we've decided we might cruise the Fantasy out of New Orleans. It's the same driving distance for us as Galveston, but cruising on the Fantasy is about 430.00 cheaper than the Ecstacy. My question is.....is the New Orleans pier easy to get to? Is the Fantasy a great ship? What all does it have? I'm assuming it's the same as the Ecstacy. (havent been on that either though!) Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Ok, we've decided we might cruise the Fantasy out of New Orleans. It's the same driving distance for us as Galveston, but cruising on the Fantasy is about 430.00 cheaper than the Ecstacy. My question is.....is the New Orleans pier easy to get to? Is the Fantasy a great ship? What all does it have? I'm assuming it's the same as the Ecstacy. (havent been on that either though!) Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Oh it is fabulous!!! Book it you won't regret it!! Just plan a day or two ahead for NOLA, the pier is easy to get to if you map it...there are still a few street signs missing...but it is easy. The parking is one of the best set-ups of any pier...drive up to the second level and the porters are right there in the parking building to check your bags...then park and take the elevator directly to the check-in, it's in the same building...

WONDERFUL SHIP, can't wait till I go again in February!!!:D

WE WENT OUT OF NOLA ON THE INSPIRATION. PROBLEM WAS THE BOAT DOES A LOT OF ROCKING AN ROLLING TO DOWN THE OLE MISS. ITS NARROW FOR THE BOAT.:eek:

It does depend on the weather though Lucky...we went down with gentle rolling which I just love...reminds me I am AT SEA....:D

Loved that loooong sail down river, have never done anything like that on a cruise before...:cool:

I LOVE New Orleans, and the new cruise terminal is top notch! I would cruise out of NOLA again in a heartbeat, IF they'd put a bigger ship there. I didn't care for the Fantasy, mostly because I had a problem with seasickness on it. I strongly recommend that if you have any sort of motion sickness problem, you should use the prescription patch before you ever board the ship. That way, you can enjoy your cruise! ;)

We love the Fantasy. We currently have a booking for our fourth cruise on Fantasy. I especially like the sea days on Fantasy's itinerary--four day cruise with two sea days. You are right about the price. Fantasy is a very good value. My niece is on this ship right now!

tell me more about the Fantasy. The only thing that concerns me now is the extra motion of this ship. I've only been on the conquest. I know it all depends on the condition of the water, but do you think it's a lot more noticable. My DD (13) has a little trouble with motion sickness.

thanks again!

tell me more about the Fantasy. The only thing that concerns me now is the extra motion of this ship. I've only been on the conquest. I know it all depends on the condition of the water, but do you think it's a lot more noticable. My DD (13) has a little trouble with motion sickness.

thanks again!

I don't think you feel it a lot more, but I have no tendency to motion sickness at all. I can tell you though, my sister gets severely carsick at times...(in the back seat)....and sails with no problem at all, even when we have had rough seas. I suggest that if your DD is motion sick from cars, do not put anything in her head to anticipate trouble, know what I mean?

Actually, my Glory cruise in January gave us (my sister too) the roughest seas we ever had and she had no problem. There are posters here who have had great results with the bands (?) for motion sickness.

It does, as always...depend on the particular week...

I have been on her twice once out of Port Canaveral and out of NOLA. She did have a little more movement out of NOLA but it was not bad at all. We ran into a little rain storm on our way back it got a little rough my DW had to take some med. It didn't bother me as I'm dizzy anyway.:D She is a grand ship i love it can't wait to see her after dry dock in Oct.:D

We took Bonine everynight when we did the conquest and never had a problem and slept like a baby. Also we took ginger tablets. Hopefully that will be enough for her. I just didnt like feeling the motion in my inside cabin when I couldnt see out. I'll just keep her on deck!!!

I have a slight tendency to motion sickness but have never had any problem cruising. I've sailed the Holiday which is MUCH smaller than the Fantasy, even during some rough weather and didn't have a problem. I swear by ginger tablets!

My favorite part of the New Orleans cruise was cruising down the Mississippi! It was an awesome sight. Before Katrina, there was another ship that we passed on our way out as they came in. THAT was freakin' amazing! I've sailed the Sensation and Fantasy down the Mississip. Sorry, can't tell you which is bigger....I just know Sensation and Fantasy were bigger than the Holiday but they were ALL big ole boats to me!:D

Donna

Travel down the Mississippi is really cool. We live 900 miles North of N O on the Mississippi, and have spent more time on the Mississippi from NO to the gulf than my over Fifty years in Quincy. We have been in the forward bar on the upper deck of the Fantasy watching as the ship enters the gulf. It is very cool to see all the warning light for land etc ahead of you and them as you past the last one there is nothing but darkness. Also the first thing I noticed different from leaving from Fla was as you down into the water it is not the nice blue color, there is a reason for calling it the Muddy Mississippi.;) Go for it and try to spend a few days in NO. NO is a great city and a lot of fun.:D

Keith

Thanks!!!

When are you thinking of going? Fantasy is scheduled for the evolutions of fun updates this fall. http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/eof/default.aspx

There is a Cruise Critic group cruise going on Fantasy Feb 7, 2009.

I would like to go after the upgrades, but we have to go in June because of work and school. We are planning on going back on the conquest next june though for the 7 day to celebrate our sons graduation from HS. It will have had the upgrades so we're looking forward to that.

I've been on the Fantasy out of NO and the Ecstasy out of Galveston. They are both REAL similar, however, I'd have to say I liked the Fantasy better overall. Floating down the Mississippi was a plus, and the parking in NO was much better than Galveston. I also preferred the decor on the Fantasy over the Ecstasy. However, the Ecstasy isn't all that bad as we're booked to go on her the second time this October. :p (Galveston's closer to us than NO). Whichever one you decide to go on though will be great.

thanks again!

I suffer from motion sickness. I have been on the Fantasy twice and never had a problem. I took Bonine, starting the night before the cruise. Going down the Mississippi was NOT a problem. A slight rocking, but nothing drastic. Unfortunately, there was a tropical storm in the gulf and thats when the rocking really began. But the Bonine worked great and I never got sick!

We're traveling on the Fantasy in July. We are driving down from Nashville and staying the night before the cruise at the Drury Inn and Suites. They have free parking if you use the code NOLACRUISE in a secure lot. We would have had to stay overnight somewhere and this will save us some money in the long run!

I love the Fantasy! :D

The motion is noticeable when leaving the mouth of the river and also the night you leave Cozumel. The "bad" part typically only lasts about 2-3 hours so if you are prone to seasickness, just wear the patch or take some of the over the counter meds and you should be fine. If you forget to bring some, just ask the info desk and they will give you some!

Happy sailing!

We just sailed the Fantasy in April and I am booking the Mardi Gras cruise in Feb as we speak. We loved the Fantasy and I can't wait until Feb. to cruise her again. We were on the Empress Deck and really we felt very little movement. The only real movement IMO, was entering the mouth of the Miss. on the last night. Loved watching the water slosh out of the pool. Great sunset pictures.

Archived