Real Question on Gratuities

Just returned from 7 night cruise on Oceana. Removed gratuities immediately , asked for envelopes so we could tip those we felt went that extra bit for us, which we did on the final day at sea, had no problem, it wasn't printed anywhere on any paperwork that we had 'opted out' (someone on a previous thread said this was the case) this is what we always have and always will do.

What we have stated doing when travelling as a couple - we leave one of our auto gratuities in place and take one off and then divide that between cabin steward and two evening waiters on a split roughly 40% for cabin steward and 30% each for the two mdr waiters. It works for us as we feel we are helping the behind the scenes crew and can do the old fashioned sign of gratitude in giving envelopes and a little thank you note at the end of the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think this is a really good idea and one we had considered. At the moment we are not happy to remove them (tried it once and felt guilty re freedom dining as we didn't catch people) but not happy to pay the full tip and then pay additional to say personal thank yous when others pay nothing.

For the O.P. I think you have a good idea to tip as you go if you can work it all out ;-)

Thank you. As the OP please could the mods close but no delete this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree on this one -- am guilty of falling in to the trap of saying the same old same old. :(

What we have stated doing when travelling as a couple - we leave one of our auto gratuities in place and take one off and then divide that between cabin steward and two evening waiters on a split roughly 40% for cabin steward and 30% each for the two mdr waiters. It works for us as we feel we are helping the behind the scenes crew and can do the old fashioned sign of gratitude in giving envelopes and a little thank you note at the end of the cruise.

So you are trying to manipulate P&O's pay and reward package for its staff to achieve what you want.

Yet you don't know how the pay and reward package operates and whether your actions are doing more harm than good.