Restaurants in Chinese cities.

4774Papa

We just booked a Vantage tour of China for August 2012.

Most of our meals are covered, but we have a few to buy on our own.

We will be going to the following cities:

Beijing-

staying at Beijing Marriott Hotel City Wall

Xi'an-

staying at Shangri-La Golden Flower

Hangzhou-

staying at Landison Plaza Hotel Hangzhou

Shanghai-

staying at Longemont Hotel Shanghai

Chongquing-

staying at Lijiang Waterfall Hotel

Hong Kong-

Hotel Nikko Hong Kong

If anyone has any recommendations regarding good restaurants, please respond.

Hong Kong: JUMBO Floating Restaurant (seafood) on the other side of Hong Kong island in Aberdeen. http://www.jumbo.com.hk/chi/main.php

Also on Hong Kong island, the restaurants at the top of the Peak. You go mainly for the view, foods okay. Looks like they even have a Bubba Gump's there :eek:. http://www.thepeak.com.hk/en/4_1.asp

If your adventurous and have a cast iron stomach, try any of the street food vendors in the night markets. Your on the Kowloon side, take a short walk to Nathan Road and then the MTR to Mong Kok Station/Neighborhood. The famous "women street" night market is nearby.

When we did our China Tour in August 2010 we went to the evening 'Tang Dynasty Show' in Xian which included a very nice meal and one of the best shows I've ever seen. If you Google it you will get some relevant information. It was one of many highlights of our tour of this fascinating country.

This past May, in Beijing, we had two of the most wonderful dinners we've ever eaten (at Black Sesame Kitchen and at Made in China [one of the city's famous Peking Duck places]); you can find the details in my little review of our time on our own in Beijing, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29264391&postcount=4680

Others on our tour who ate at Da Dong [another place well known for Peking Duck] also enjoyed it, so I'd put that on the list too. I wish Beijing weren't half a world away; I would love to eat there again!

When we did our China Tour in August 2010 we went to the evening 'Tang Dynasty Show' in Xian which included a very nice meal and one of the best shows I've ever seen. If you Google it you will get some relevant information. It was one of many highlights of our tour of this fascinating country.

I'll respectfully offer a different perspective, having been to this same dinner/show this May (2011). The place is a dinner theatre for tourists, not a real restaurant, and the food was dinner theatre quality (and by that I mean mediocre). The show, also made up for tourists, had its moments but overall wasn't a highlight, not for us. Given the raves that this dinner/show has gotten here on CC, my partner and I were really disappointed. Just giving our subjective, personal reaction.

Our tour did not including seeing the Old City walls, and I think that would have been a better us of the extra time in Xi'an.

If you go out to eat on your own in Xi'an, do be careful, as there are restaurants in that city that still serve dog. :(

China is extraordinary; have a great trip!

"If you go out to eat on your own in Xi'an, do be careful, as there are restaurants in that city that still serve dog."

I was in Hong Kong and China in 1981 and our guide told us that black dog is a delicacy in China. Also, there is a saying in China that they eat everything with its back to the sun.

"If you go out to eat on your own in Xi'an, do be careful, as there are restaurants in that city that still serve dog."

I was in Hong Kong and China in 1981 and our guide told us that black dog is a delicacy in China. Also, there is a saying in China that they eat everything with its back to the sun.

I don't think that's true any longer. In fact, our guide, a native Beijinger, was quite disparaging about the places in Xi'an that still serve dog. I think the country is changing in that regard.

I don't think that's true any longer. In fact, our guide, a native Beijinger, was quite disparaging about the places in Xi'an that still serve dog. I think the country is changing in that regard.

The country has changed quite a lot in 30 years. Still, I imagine that some parts of the country have not changed as much as others. I know that dog is still popular in Korea, which became more modern and Western earlier than the PRC.

Kinda like vension and rabbit IIR :cool:

Back in 1981 we were sending $ and carrying suitcases full of used clothing back to relations there. Now they send their driver in a Lexus sedan to pick us up at the airport :eek:

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned from Vantage's tour in China (Oct 11-Nov 2). Absolutely fabulous trip. Interesting to note on your itinerary that they have changed the hotel in Xi'an----perhaps because it was one of the hotels that people felt were 'tired' and not as good as many of the others. However the food at the hotel was great!

We opted for all the optional tours so several of our dinners were included. We did enjoy the "Tang Dynasty show" very much and thought the food there was delicious. Make sure you get a chance to eat "Peking Duck" in Beijing---either on tour or by yourselves. We had 'duck' at other times on our tour but never as good as in Beijing!

Since we just returned from this tour, if you have any questions, I'd be glad to try to help!

btw---our guide told us that "dog", "cat", "horse" are considered delicacies and not usually part of any 'tour package'----you would need to request that type of food specifically. (HE did go to a 'horse' restaurant while we were 'on our own' though!!!)

Archived