Dress in the Formal Dining Room

tinydancer2109

I've been cruising since 2000 and the attire in the formal dining room has changed a great deal. It used to be that I could wear a formal ball gown on formal night and be almost under dressed. Now, I wear a cute party dress on a normal night and I'm extremely over dressed. What do you guys wear?

I've been cruising since 2000 and the attire in the formal dining room has changed a great deal. It used to be that I could wear a formal ball gown on formal night and be almost under dressed. Now, I wear a cute party dress on a normal night and I'm extremely over dressed. What do you guys wear?

My dress for the first formal night looks something like this: http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/Laundry-by-Design-Womens-Shirred-Low-back-Gown/3381134/product.html?sec_iid=33972

DH will be wearing a suit.

I've been cruising since 2000 and the attire in the formal dining room has changed a great deal. It used to be that I could wear a formal ball gown on formal night and be almost under dressed.

That's a wee bit hard to believe donchathink:confused:

I still like the idea of dressing up, and do so. I look at having dinner in the dining room on a cruise like going to an expensive restaurant or special occasion at home.

No I don't actually. I wear what I think is a casual dress now and Im over dressed. I used to wear my prom dresses and I was under dressed compared to most. I'm not exaggerating either.

Also habby, I totally agree with you. I still wear party style dresses on casual night and formal gowns on formal night.

No I don't actually. I wear what I think is a casual dress now and Im over dressed. I used to wear my prom dresses and I was under dressed compared to most. I'm not exaggerating either.

How in the world would you be under dressed wearing a formal ball gown on a cruise ship on formal night.....what did women wear that was more formal then that:confused:

Last year I wore a formal and was perfectly dressed. I'd been reading about how "undressed" the formal nights were and I'm so glad I didn't assume our cruise would be like that. I'd say at least 75% of the women had on a formal or cocktail dress, about the same # of men had on suits and ties along with some tuxes. Of course there were some that were much more casual but they were the ones that stood out, not the formal dressed ones.

I will dress the same for this one. Regardless of what other passengers wear. I will continue to dress formal for formal/elegant night and nicely on other nights. There were even cocktail dresses and formals on our last night. I felt horribly under dressed on that one. I figured everyone would be casual after a day doing excursions and our bags were already set out.

I'd rather be over dressed than under dressed.

How in the world would you be under dressed wearing a formal ball gown on a cruise ship on formal night.....what did women wear that was more formal then that:confused:

By ball gowns I meant prom type dresses. Guess I should have been more clear. And you can get more formal by the princess style dresses. The ones that cost as much as a house. >.<

I found that this ranged greatly on both formal and casual nights. On formal nigh some people (including myself) wore some dockers and a button down. Others wore jeans and a polo. The ladies ranged from fancy formal dresses to capris and a nice top.

On casual we saw everything from men in suits to people in hooded sweatshirts. I guess it just depends on how you like to dress. For me a vacation means that I dont have to wear a shirt and tie. To others this is a chance to show off what they think to be nice/fancy clothes :)

How in the world would you be under dressed

wearing a formal ball gown on a cruise ship on formal night...

..what did women wear that was more formal than that:confused:

Kurb... you're talking to the fairer sex that throws open the wardrobe doors(plural)

and anguishes that She doesn't have a thing to wear.

*back of hand to forehead*

Nothing less than a diamond-sequined Dior gown at $12K will do, don't you understand?

(Are you married?) :D

Female perceptions are very very different to male perceptions.

If the lady feels under dressed(compared to the others) then she's underdressed.

This is not about male-type scientific logic, dude!

You've heard it a hundred times..

"What? This Old Thing?"

-for a dress she bought 4 months ago and has worn twice.

THIS OLD THING....OK?

Kurb... you're talking to the fairer sex that throws open the wardrobe doors(plural)

and anguishes that She doesn't have a thing to wear.

*back of hand to forehead*

Nothing less than a diamond-sequined Dior gown at $12K will do, don't you understand?

(Are you married?) :D

Female perceptions are very very different to male perceptions.

If the lady feels under dressed(compared to the others) then she's underdressed.

This is not about male-type scientific logic, dude!

You've heard it a hundred times..

"What? This Old Thing?"

-for a dress she bought 4 months ago and has worn twice.

THIS OLD THING....OK?

ROFLMAO!!! I am a dudette:D 100% woman:D

Times are changing and so are the people. We still dress up on formal night. Husband in a suit and tie. Wife in a nice dress, but not a gown. On non formal nights husband dresses in slacks and a collared shirt. Wife dressed more casual but still in a dress.

Here comes an opinion from "The Twilight Zone".

When I am on vacation, I like to relax...which includes relaxation of attire.

Why would I want to carry all that extra baggage etc...when I don't have to?

My vacation is a time to go "without make-up, without the expensive jewelry, without the shoes that make my feet hurt etc".

It's time for me to be me...without being pretentious, or trying to impress a bunch of strangers.

And, no, I wouldn't feel underdressed or odd if I'm in my casual attire, and everyone else is dressed for the grand ball.

No, this happened to me on our first European cruise. There were women on the cruise from South America that were dripping emerals, diamonds, rubies, etc. It was amazing really! That was back in the early 90's. I've never seen anything like it since. Yes, the trend is getting to be way more laid back then it used to be. That's okay with me. I don't wear long gowns, I wear cocktail dresses, or long skirts with a fancy blouse on the first "formal" night, and "Sunday Best" on the second. I like getting dressed up!:D To each his own!;)

No, this happened to me on our first European cruise. There were women on the cruise from South America that were dripping emerals, diamonds, rubies, etc. It was amazing really! That was back in the early 90's. I've never seen anything like it since. Yes, the trend is getting to be way more laid back then it used to be. That's okay with me. I don't wear long gowns, I wear cocktail dresses, or long skirts with a fancy blouse on the first "formal" night, and "Sunday Best" on the second. I like getting dressed up!:D To each his own!;)

Dripping in jewels does not make one more formal.....I can't imagine any women feeling underdressed in a ball gown on a cruise ship:p

My vacation is a time to go "without make-up, without the expensive jewelry, without the shoes that make my feet hurt etc".

It's time for me to be me...without being pretentious, or trying to impress a bunch of strangers.

And, no, I wouldn't feel underdressed or odd if I'm in my casual attire, and everyone else is dressed for the grand ball.

Diversity makes this world a more interesting place. My DW and I never get a chance to get all gussied up in normal life and really enjoy it, so our vacation is a time to go all out.

I think it's fine to stay casual if you want to, but I think you should skip out on the formal captain's party and formal dinner if you choose not to dress up. It's a dress code, and if you want to attend the formal events, I think you should at least attempt to follow the dress code. I can't imagine attending a black tie event, or an "elegant" or "formal" event in regular clothes. For those that want to stay casual, they should stick to the buffet that night.

Formal night attire

Ball caps on backwards

Shorts and black socks with sandals

T shirts and Tank tops

Blue jeans with holes

Bikini tops, good on some bad on others

Carnival robes

Not much formal or elegant about above. You will see it all now on Carnival. Funny how folks show up to dine.

I think it's fine to stay casual if you want to, but I think you should skip out on the formal captain's party and formal dinner if you choose not to dress up. It's a dress code, and if you want to attend the formal events, I think you should at least attempt to follow the dress code. I can't imagine attending a black tie event, or an "elegant" or "formal" event in regular clothes. For those that want to stay casual, they should stick to the buffet that night.

If I dress "within the dress code"...whatever that might be...I'm just as entitled as anyone else to attend whatever it is.

The food will taste the same....:)

Just wanted to add-

If I wanted to "be forced to get dressed up" I would cruise on another line.

One of the reasons I like Carnival is that I don't have to pretend I'm going to the grand ball.

If others want to dress formally...I don't take issue. It just isn't me. I respect their rights, and I feel that mine should be respected also.

Putting on a gown does not make you a better person, a wealthier person or a "in better shape" person. It just makes you a dressed up person. :p

Formal night attire

Ball caps on backwards

Shorts and black socks with sandals

T shirts and Tank tops

Blue jeans with holes

Bikini tops, good on some bad on others

Carnival robes

Not much formal or elegant about above. You will see it all now on Carnival. Funny how folks show up to dine.

Haha I think I'd lose it if someone wore a robe to dinner. I probably would be literally ROFL.

And oh, Tropicale in 2000 was my first cruise. That was a fun cruise=D

Hey tinydancer2109...

There's an entire thread devoted to this question over on this thread/link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=627140

That is much more geared to your actual question than what you'll get here.;)

Archived