Tour of Explorer

malily

I’m not sure if I’ve seen this question before. We’ve done galley and bridge tours, but can you do an engine or mechanical room tour? I have a feeling insurance might preclude this but worth a try?

Never had an Engine room or mechanical area tour. Bridge tour are sometime offered as are galley. Usually only on longer cruises. If you are part of a really long cruise like a Grand Voyage to might get offered a in depth galley tour of all the Explorer food venue kitchens.

Years ago, on some long voyages, (World, Grand, Discover, Circle Etc.) full voyage passenger would have open bridge privileges. You could go on the bridge at almost anytime while ship was at sea. Not a Captains did this. But after the Costa Concordia sinking everything changed and those days are gone forever.

There have in the past been tours/meals in the crew bar and also the laundry room. I think those days are over too.

J

We had dinner with the cruise director on our recent Voyager trip and I asked him a very similar question about "behind the scenes" look (not just bridge/kitchens).

He said best thing to do is very early in the cruise to reach out directly to the cruise director to ask and see what they can line up. A mechanical room look around would be very interesting as I'm a mechanical/technical guy (real life job) and I'd find that fascinating.

I can't see the harm in asking - worst case they'll do is politely say "No, sorry"