Contemplating a 2019 Crossing, Questions...

Aoumd

Contemplating a QM2 Transatlantic Crossing in 2019; have a few questions and figured this is the right place to ask them!

1) For dress code, I figure I have two dark suits I can bring for the formal nights, plus a sport coat, button down shirts and khakis for the remaining dinners. But what is the typical attire like during the day on board and at breakfasts and lunches in the Brittania? While jeans and an un-collared t-shirt during the day around the ship may be allowed, would it "blend in" with everyone else, or should I plan on the khakis and a polo all day (excepting the gym, etc.) to "blend in" with the crowd?

2) Given how expensive one way airfares across the Atlantic are compared to round trip, is there any common/typical past experience as to how CompleteAir prices out vs. buying from the airlines separately for the one-way flight from the USA to the UK for a crossing? Are Cunard's negotiated rates really lower than what I'd find online on my own?

3) Late April -- winter coat weather or fleece weather when walking about the outer decks?

4) How far in advance is the speaker schedule announced? I've listened to Ted Scull and Bill Miller speak ashore at various engagements and know they're amazing, would be interested in finding out who the Ocean Liner History speakers are when selecting my crossing date.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I found the one-way fare (and I upgraded to Premium Economy) to be about 20% of booking it on my own. I considered that a great deal.

I agree that Bill Miller is a great speaker. Here is a link for the speakers through most of 2018.

http://www.cunard.com/life-on-board/guest-speakers/ As you can see, there is about a year's worth of speakers on the list but not sure when they will update for 2019.

My two recent crossings have both been in January. There were a few days on each of these crossings when only a light jacket was needed.

Crossings are often a little dressier (at least in my limited experience) than regular cruisers. Your daytime wear should be fine but I will leave it to the gentlemen to give more input.

I found the one-way fare (and I upgraded to Premium Economy) to be about 20% of booking it on my own. I considered that a great deal.

I agree that Bill Miller is a great speaker. Here is a link for the speakers through most of 2018.

http://www.cunard.com/life-on-board/guest-speakers/ As you can see, there is about a year's worth of speakers on the list but not sure when they will update for 2019.

My two recent crossings have both been in January. There were a few days on each of these crossings when only a light jacket was needed.

Crossings are often a little dressier (at least in my limited experience) than regular cruisers. Your daytime wear should be fine but I will leave it to the gentlemen to give more input.

Thanks for the advice! If I book I will surely take a close eye at Cunard's air deals before booking anything for flights.

You might want to rent a tux- it’s practical because you don’t need to bring two separate suits and Cunard crossings are one of the last places in cruising where a majority of gents still wear tuxedos. Daytime attire is fine but again- it tends to err more towards country club attire with cold weather crossings being more dressy than warm ones.

April on the Atlantic is going to be more winter weather than not but you could have a warmer (although most likely foggy) day here or there.

Airfare won’t be the end of the world- plenty of options. If the legacy carriers are expensive you now have options like Norwegian. I would say you can find better options yourself than through Cunard. Back in the day they used to include airfare which was great but those days are over.

Speaker schedules should be out in a few months for 2019 but they are always subject to change.

If you plan to start your crossing the same day as you arrive in London, it’s better to book Cunard-air and Cunard-transfer to Southampton. If there are delays Cunard is responsible and may delay also the departure of your crossing.

But I recommend to fly at least one day early for your convinience.

If you plan to start your crossing the same day as you arrive in London, it’s better to book Cunard-air and Cunard-transfer to Southampton. If there are delays Cunard is responsible and may delay also the departure of your crossing.

But I recommend to fly at least one day early for your convinience.

Thanks. Does Cunard air / transfer have an option to fly in day before?

Thanks. Does Cunard air / transfer have an option to fly in day before?

Yes, I flew in two days early. I believe they offered my as much as four days early. Not sure they will do the transfer earlier or not (I did not ask). I used Smithsforairports.co.uk for transport between LHR and Southampton.

Contemplating a QM2 Transatlantic Crossing in 2019; have a few questions and figured this is the right place to ask them!

1) For dress code, I figure I have two dark suits I can bring for the formal nights, plus a sport coat, button down shirts and khakis for the remaining dinners. But what is the typical attire like during the day on board and at breakfasts and lunches in the Brittania? While jeans and an un-collared t-shirt during the day around the ship may be allowed, would it "blend in" with everyone else, or should I plan on the khakis and a polo all day (excepting the gym, etc.) to "blend in" with the crowd?

2) Given how expensive one way airfares across the Atlantic are compared to round trip, is there any common/typical past experience as to how CompleteAir prices out vs. buying from the airlines separately for the one-way flight from the USA to the UK for a crossing? Are Cunard's negotiated rates really lower than what I'd find online on my own?

3) Late April -- winter coat weather or fleece weather when walking about the outer decks?

4) How far in advance is the speaker schedule announced? I've listened to Ted Scull and Bill Miller speak ashore at various engagements and know they're amazing, would be interested in finding out who the Ocean Liner History speakers are when selecting my crossing date.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

> ) How far in advance is the speaker schedule announced?

Keep in mind the speaker list is subject to change. On a recent back to back, there was at least one speaker dropped from the published list on each crossing. There were also several added with no advance notice, including (amazingly) Stephen Payne (the QM2's architect) who spoke on the Titanic, QE2 and the QM2. I likely would have chosen that trip based on his speaking. But he never appeared on any of the advance speaker lists. So you "takes your chances".

Phil

Sent from my HTC 10 using Forums mobile app

1. One dark suit with a selection of shirt/tie and one sport coat with chinos maybe two different colors and collared shirts can cover you. That's all I took for dinner wear. Sending shirts out for launder/press is not too $$ and I usually get 'em back the next morning.

2. The on board tux rental is stupid expensive .... cheaper to buy a new suit! As mentioned rental places sell used tux for relatively little. Most places you can get a used tux for less than half what a decent suit costs. But do you have a use for the tux after the cruise? A suit may be a better investment in the long term if you don't have. OP does so moot point for you. (we did the TA as transport home following a river cruise and land vacation. renting a tux sounded like a good plan rather than dragging the extra clothes. I ended up buying a nice new suit and dragging it after finding the price list!)

3. I always book my own air and beat the cruise line prices by a LOT. But as mentioned there can be a value if you plan to fly day of .... I never fly day of. We recently discovered Norwegian and we've already booked another set of flights with them. Good service, great equipment and a very good price. Also have had similar experience on LOT - Polish National Airline .... these lines don't always come up on the standard travel search sites .... can be worth the effort to look.

4. Our last TA was west in June and it was cold on deck and windy all but one day. A wind shell was more important than the insulation if you wanted to go for a stroll outside .... even the one 'nice' day most folks sitting on deck were bundled with a blanket! Swimming pool? forgetaboutit - well the indoor pool was covered and popular! We didn't even get much use out of our balcony...

5. During the day cruise casual is fine .... I even wore shorts to B and L in Brit' and was not alone. Come 6pm different story. I saw staff tell folks to leave lounges for improper dress . . .