Premier Taxis for Dover-LHR?

Beginning of June. I've been very impressed with their response time and rates, too.

Will not be able to help you. We are leaving home on 31 May, doing 18 days in England, a 2 week cruise, and then 8 week in London. So we will be using the transfer in early July.

DON

• 4 years later...

Though this original post is from a few years ago, I wonder if Cranky Ruby or Donaldsc or anyone else has feedback of this taxi service?

I recently sent for quotes to 5 different companies for Dover to London transfer, and Premier Taxi Folkestone is the first to respond with a competitive rate, much better than Smiths and International Friends. The other 2, Dover Taxi and Folkestone Taxi, have not responded to date.

The web reviews of Premier Taxi, Dover Taxi and Folkestone Taxi are all very mixed, ranging from 5 (excellent) to 1 (late or no show). So if anyone has used these transfers recently, please post your experience!

My friend is inclined to choose Smiths, though they are not based in Dover, but I want to see if there is a reliable locally based transfer service. So I am reaching out to the CC fellow cruisers for help! Thank you.

Edited by 2curious
Hide signature

I live in Folkestone and have used Premier Taxis locally and also as a transfer to Gatwick Airport. Had no problem whatsoever. They are a very popular taxis service in this town. If you're still in doubt, you could try an online quote with Addison Lee.. I got a very good price for a transfer from Tilbury earlier this year.

My friend is inclined to choose Smiths, though they are not based in Dover, but I want to see if there is a reliable locally based transfer service Thank you.

Smiths are based in Southampton/Portsmouth so they're bound to be un-competitively priced - in fact I'm surprised they didn't decline to quote.

Kinda like asking a Niagara-based car service to quote for a transfer from Oshawa to Barrie.

International Friends offer good coach tour-transfers, but their car service from port to airport tends to be un-competitive.

The three local taxi services you mentioned are long-established & reputable, and over the years I've seen good reports about all three on Cruise Critic. You're more likely to get good service & better value from them or other Dover area operators than from the plethora of Heathrow-based outfits.

Phil is the local lad, I'd be inclined to follow his advice.

JB :)

Thank you Philbeach Traveller and John Bull! You guys are great! Thanks for your prompt feedback. I will probably go with Premier Taxi, they are willing to give us a stopover in Canterbury as well. By the way, the other 2 local taxis still have not responded.

Hi John Bull, I am impressed with your analogy of Niagara and Oshawa to Barrie! Have you lived in this part of Canada? It seems you know Ontario cities quite well.

Smiths are based in Southampton/Portsmouth so they're bound to be un-competitively priced - in fact I'm surprised they didn't decline to quote.

Kinda like asking a Niagara-based car service to quote for a transfer from Oshawa to Barrie.

International Friends offer good coach tour-transfers, but their car service from port to airport tends to be un-competitive.

The three local taxi services you mentioned are long-established & reputable, and over the years I've seen good reports about all three on Cruise Critic. You're more likely to get good service & better value from them or other Dover area operators than from the plethora of Heathrow-based outfits.

Phil is the local lad, I'd be inclined to follow his advice.

Hi John Bull, I am impressed with your analogy of Niagara and Oshawa to Barrie! Have you lived in this part of Canada? It seems you know Ontario cities quite well.

Nah, I don't know Ontario well, only ever been there once.

But Googlemaps is my friend ;)

We used Folkestone Taxis 18 months ago and they were dreadful! Turned up half an hour late in a car with broken air conditioning on a boiling hot day. Car was much too small and extremely cramped, even though it was booked for four adults and four suitcases. Avoid!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh Dear. That is awful! Thanks for this feedback. As I said, their reviews are very mixed. That is why I value to hear actual experiences on CC.

Just want to clarify, you are referring to Folkestone Taxi, not Premier Taxi Folkestone? Premier is responsive, price competitive and recommended by Philbeach Traveller. I am planning to book with them.

But Folkestone Taxi has still not replied my enquiry yet, so that is a reflection of their customer service. Thanks for sharing your experience!

We used Folkestone Taxis 18 months ago and they were dreadful! Turned up half an hour late in a car with broken air conditioning on a boiling hot day. Car was much too small and extremely cramped, even though it was booked for four adults and four suitcases. Avoid!

Edited by 2curious
Updated text

Oh Dear. That is awful! Thanks for this feedback. As I said, their reviews are very mixed. That is why I value to hear actual experiences on CC.

Just want to clarify, you are referring to Folkestone Taxi, not Premier Taxi Folkestone? Premier is responsive, price competitive and recommended by Philbeach Traveller. I am planning to book with them.

But Folkestone Taxi has still not replied my enquiry yet, so that is a reflection of their customer service. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Yes, it was ‘Folkestone Taxi’ not ‘Premier Taxi’.

• 3 months later...

We just used the service of Premier Taxi Folkestone to drive us from Dover to London, including a 2 hour visit to Canterbury. Their email communications were responsive and clear. On the day, the driver called us to say he was on his way and he showed up promptly. He was friendly and courteous, and waited for us while we toured Canterbury.We are pleased with this company and would use them again.