Carnival Paradise - Random questions from a new cruiser

CdnSolo

Just wondering if it is ok for us to bring our pool towels ashore with us to use on excursions, or do they not allow this and will I need to bring my own from home?

Also - are there hair dryers in every room?

And lastly, if I book an excursion independently, can I arrange to be on one of the first tenders of the day, in order to make my shuttle for my excursion?

Thanks! :o)

Just wondering if it is ok for us to bring our pool towels ashore with us to use on excursions, or do they not allow this and will I need to bring my own from home?

Also - are there hair dryers in every room?

And lastly, if I book an excursion independently, can I arrange to be on one of the first tenders of the day, in order to make my shuttle for my excursion?

Thanks! :o)

You can bring pool towels ashore with you, but if you loose it you are charged for it. There are hair dryers in your room. If you tender those who book excursions with the ship are the first off. If you get to the theater early you will get a high number to leave the ship. Just make sure you independent excursion leaves at least 2 - 3 hrs after the schedule time of arrival. Ships schedules are not written in stone. Just because the schedule says the ship will arrive and a certain time doesn't mean that it will arrive at that time or that it will be OK'd to leave the ship at that time. So be careful when planning your own excursions. Give yourself enough time.

Since you are asking about the Paradise, and tendering, I am assuming you might be talking about Grand Cayman.

As A 1st time cruiser, you need to be aware that this port is often skipped if there are any kind of high waves or wind.

I would not discourage you from booking independently, but make sure you know what the cancellation policy is if the ship misses the port.

As far a towels go, I would not waste valuable packing space bringing towels.

There should be some In your cabin that you can take ashore, or you can grab a few from the pool deck and take them.

I hope you enjoy your first cruise!

Thanks so much for the quick responses. You guys really know your cruises - yes, I am talking about Grand Cayman.

I was considering booking with Captain Marvin's independently only because my understanding it is is cheaper than booking through the ship (though I recently learned it's only 20% or so) and also because I've read that the tours booked through the ship are over crowded and not quite as enjoyable.

We are supposed to be in port at 8am and Marvin's has told me they will wait for me until 8:45 since the tour that day starts at 9am. But, I didn't realize the tender would be such a tedious thing, so perhaps it is best to wait until I am ashore and try to book something then. This will also eliminate my having to worry about being refunded, should we not be able to stop at this port.

Thanks so much for the quick responses. You guys really know your cruises - yes, I am talking about Grand Cayman.

I was considering booking with Captain Marvin's independently only because my understanding it is is cheaper than booking through the ship (though I recently learned it's only 20% or so) and also because I've read that the tours booked through the ship are over crowded and not quite as enjoyable.

We are supposed to be in port at 8am and Marvin's has told me they will wait for me until 8:45 since the tour that day starts at 9am. But, I didn't realize the tender would be such a tedious thing, so perhaps it is best to wait until I am ashore and try to book something then. This will also eliminate my having to worry about being refunded, should we not be able to stop at this port.

We booked an excursion through Captain Marvin's at Grand Cayman. It was scheduled for 8:30 to Stingray City/Snorkeling. We got the tender at about 7:30 - and walked the block or so to Captain Marvins, and were there by about 7:50 - plenty of time to check in and wander around downtown before the bus left for the boat to Stingray City. Enjoy your cruise. PS - i think it was much more than only 20% cheaper. I think it was $35/pp for the four of us. It was first class all the way. Sorry to keep editing. Capt Marvin's knows exactly when each ship arrives in port. And when you book - they don't charge your credit card until you actually show up. If you can't get a tender in time ( which I doubt will happen to you) they will put you on a later excursion.

Tender is not tedious. You do need a sticker which you'll get in the theater most likely. Carnival excursions go first. Rough seas make it hard to get on the tender but often it's not rough. Waiting until you get there to book doesn't work well. You'll be fine booking with Marvin in advance. He'll wait for you if he knows you're booked.

Definitely not hair dryers in the cabin without requesting them. I read other people saying that it could be hard to get one, because they often ran out. We got one in under five minutes when I accidentally blew my wife's up on our Paradise cruise a week ago.

They were also very quick in responding to the smoke alarm ;-)

Dave - how did you get a tender at 7:30 if the ship isn't in port until 8? Or is the 8am just a guideline and a risk I'll have to take with my 8:45 deadline?

Paintballer - I have to wonder how long your hair is that you blew up a dryer! LOL

Dave - how did you get a tender at 7:30 if the ship isn't in port until 8? Or is the 8am just a guideline and a risk I'll have to take with my 8:45 deadline?

Paintballer - I have to wonder how long your hair is that you blew up a dryer! LOL

All the ships don't arrive in port at the same time. We were on the Conquest and it arrived at 7am

Archived