Voyager v Navigator

We are contemplating 2 different cruises over Christmas this year and cannot make our mind up over the 2 ships , whilst the Voyager is the larger which is great for us the Navigator has the better itinerary , but we are concerned that she is much smaller , we have previously sailed on the Mariner and found her wonderful , does anyone have experience of the Navigator and can tell us more about the difference in size and how that effects them

thank you

I'd go with the itinerary! Navigator standard suites are larger than Mariner but same size as Voyager.

We spent a month on Navigator Cape Town to Rio to FLL and enjoyed every day of it.

Whatever you decide have a wonderful cruise!

I would definitely go with the Voyager for the following reasons:

1. The public spaces on the Navigator are too small for the ship when it rains. It can get crowded inside if the ship is full.

2. There is no Observation Lounge in the front of the Navigator. Instead of viewing where you are going, you view where you have been.

3. You feel the "motion of the ocean" much more on the Navigator. The only ship my husband has been seasick on is the Navigator.

4. You have been on the Mariner and experienced the lovely Coffee Connection area. While the Coffee Connection is smaller on the Voyager, it is just about non-existent on the Navigator.

In spite of the above comments, the Navigator is a beautiful ship -- after three cruises on her we have decided to sail only on the Mariner and Voyager:-)

Having spent over 100 nights on the Navigator, I enjoy her over the Voyager and Mariner. The forward suites are the most prefered due to the aft vibration issue. It's easier to get around and learn where everything is because of her small size. It is easier to get to know your fellow cruisers and staff because there are fewer people. Yes, there is one less restaruant, but the food in the Compass Rose and Sette Mari is wonderful. If you like the itinerary, go with the Navigator.

We are booked on the Navigator for their Christmas cruise. We debated (and preferred) doing the Mariner for the South American holiday cruise but I couldn't justify paying an additional $6000 for the business class upgrade, even though the SA itinerary offered better value.

The Voyager Christmas cruise is Singapore to Sydney so it would be a very different cruise than the standard Caribbean itinerary on the Navigator. I also had concerns about the size of the Navigator and some of the potential issues (i.e. more children, crowding at the pool area, rain restricting outdoor space use etc etc), so would be happy to hear others thoughts on this and both the positives/negatives of the Navigator experience. We booked a suite on the deck 11 so hopefully the vibration will not be a concern for us.

Many Thanks

Sunprince, on most mornings the Navigator Lounge and the library are busy places. I usually stay in the deck 6 suites and walk down to get my coffee early. You can always get a cup of coffee and go into the Stars Lounge or up to Galileo's. The deck area off Galileo's can be a nice spot, as well. The pool does get busy so I suggest going to the pool deck early.

Since I've not taken a holiday cruise, I can't comment on a large number of children cruisers. Hopefully someone else can help with that question.

I would definitely go with the Voyager for the following reasons:

1. The public spaces on the Navigator are too small for the ship when it rains. It can get crowded inside if the ship is full.

2. There is no Observation Lounge in the front of the Navigator. Instead of viewing where you are going, you view where you have been.

3. You feel the "motion of the ocean" much more on the Navigator. The only ship my husband has been seasick on is the Navigator.

4. You have been on the Mariner and experienced the lovely Coffee Connection area. While the Coffee Connection is smaller on the Voyager, it is just about non-existent on the Navigator.

In spite of the above comments, the Navigator is a beautiful ship -- after three cruises on her we have decided to sail only on the Mariner and Voyager:-)

Agree with all these points. The Navigator's public spaces are too small and/or in the wrong place. We found La Veranda to be cramped and overcrowded at breakfast - many people have to "overflow" into Prime 7. The evening Sette Mari set-up was even busier. I know the Navigator has plenty of fans but we actually make a point of avoiding it no matter how tempting the itinerary.

just because I wanted the southern caribbean itinerary.Will book front cabin.Took Voyager(xmas cruise) and too much vibration for me.Hope Navigator not that bad.We had a few more children on it for holidays,but no problem at all.Nothing like the mass market ships.So far,Mariner has been my favorite ship,but NOT doing itinerary I want and dates I want.;)

just because I wanted the southern caribbean itinerary.Will book front cabin.Took Voyager(xmas cruise) and too much vibration for me.Hope Navigator not that bad.We had a few more children on it for holidays,but no problem at all.Nothing like the mass market ships.So far,Mariner has been my favorite ship,but NOT doing itinerary I want and dates I want.;)

Don't book too far front on the Navigator. There is a very loud noise when the anchor goes down - early in the morning.

I've been on Navigator 5 times, (including my first two cruises in 2000 and 2001, before the Mariner was built, to Alaska and the Baltics, and to Norway 2005 (best cruise ever the first time I did that itinerary, picture perfect weather every day), another in late 2008 (can't remember where), and Canada 2011, always midship on each of them, and the vibration was not an issue for me. I never want to be at the very front of any ship, as you feel the seas much more. Smaller ships more than others, I suppose. Everyone has a different tolerance for seas, mine is "low tolerance".

The Navigator cannot change its space limitations. Especially when they added Prime 7, I'd say about half of the space in La Veranda or whatever it is called on that ship had to be eliminated, and yes, it can be crowded in there in less than perfect weather, I remember that from my Canada cruise, for lunch, in 2011 after the retrofit which also added something on the tail to curtail vibration, but have to say, it was nice to have Prime 7 like the rest of the ships.

BUT, I do loving staying on Deck 6, near the public areas, no long walks to get anywhere on the ship! Like NCCruzQueen, I have a special personal affinity for that ship, because it was my first luxury cruise anywhere. And have returned since, but limited with itineraries for what I am interested in now.

I certainly wouldn't let worries about the ship win over the itinerary.

If you've already been everywhere and seen everything then perhaps, but until then the itinerary winds for me every time.

We've sailed on both Navigator and Voyager and would happily sail on either again.

Both have their flaws, but both offer a great experience as well.

Archived