Dress Code for each Transatlantic NY to UK

gsalmon

I would like to know is anyone has the schedule for the Dress Code for each night...we are sailing on the 27th May New York to Southampton.

Do the men have to wear a suit on Formal Night.

Can you dine at the Buffet for dinner without a jacket on.

Please advise.

I would like to know is anyone has the schedule for the Dress Code for each night...we are sailing on the 27th May New York to Southampton. ...

See these Daily Programmes for the dress codes on two 2006 crossings. Note: Elegant Casual (jacket, no tie) has replaced casual (no jacket, no tie).

Do the men have to wear a suit on Formal Night. ...

Please do. But no one will beat you with a stick if you don't.

Can you dine at the Buffet for dinner without a jacket on.

Please advise.

Sure. But dressing up can be fun too, give it a try.

Paul

Here is the itinery for our May 2008 Transatlantic NYC - Southampton

Formal - 3 nights

Informal - 1 night

Elegant casual - 2 nights

Brian

Dress codes apply to the whole ship, not just the restaurant. The Elegant Casual nights will be the first and last night. Most people will wear a dinner suit on the formal nights and a suit on the semi-formal nights. A jacket will be essential.

I'm afraid the question "do I have to wear a suit on formal nights" worries me - as presumably the OP has read the brochure?

A jacket is essential every night - as a minimum. Most will wear a dress suit ("tuxedo") on formal nights. Those that don't will wear a dark suit with sober tie. Dress suit has a black jacket on the North Atlantic - unless you are a waiter or playing in the band. No exceptions.

I'd like to think that everyone has a hand tied silk bow tie in black. They don't, but it really is so much classier than either coloured or ready tied. But I would be lying to say that this is essential.

Anything other than the dress suit/sober business suit will make you look crass and boorish. I'm sorry - but it is true. I might as well say it as it is, rather than have you surprised on board.

Semi-formal is jacket and tie. A lot of men will wear a suit on these evenings too. Perhaps a slightly less formal colour, but semi-formal on Cunard is still fairly formal. But there is no problem with a blazer if you so wish.

Elegant Casual is jacket sans tie. However a significant proportion of men wear a tie, and a minority wear a suit (I'm one of these). Indeed, what I wear on an Elegant Casual night could pass on a formal night. I'm not the only one...

Buying a dress suit is, these days, not expensive. Marks and Spencer (in the UK) sell one for £50. Pay double and you'll have a choice. Budget £200 and you'll have a choice from their good suits. I gather much the same is true on the other side of the pond.

Combine that with a suit and you can cover every night on minimum packing.

The dress code applies from 6 pm - and most refrain from the (somewhat crass, in my view) habit of changing into casual clothes later in the evening.

One final point. A dress suit is a comfortable thing to wear, as is a normal suit. If it isn't THEN IT DOESN'T FIT. Simple.

Please keep the standards on Cunard up. There are so many lines where you can dress informally. But there is only two liners where the standards are maintained - and one of those is nearing the end.

The above is based on Queen Mary 2. With Queen Elizabeth 2, it is stricter. Not officially, but people on Queen Elizabeth 2 are more formal in their dress than on Queen Mary 2.

Matthew

I've purchased an off-white dinner jacket for "informal" nights. I believe I read that on the QM2, many men will wear this on informal nights since they are considered less formal and a step down from the black Dinner Jacket.

In the states you can get an acceptable dinner jacket for under $200.00. Go to www.budgettux.com. They have tropical weight wool for a great price.

If it fits correctly, they are perfectly comfortable. Make SURE you get a shirt with ample neck room. So many man strangle themselves for no apparent reason. and PLEASE do not wear a wing collar. a lay-down or spread collar is what is worn with a dinner jacket, no matter what those people in a tux store may tell you. Even though boys wear them to high school proms all time, does not make them correct.

I've purchased an off-white dinner jacket for "informal" nights. I believe I read that on the QM2, many men will wear this on informal nights since they are considered less formal and a step down from the black Dinner Jacket.

In the states you can get an acceptable dinner jacket for under $200.00. Go to www.budgettux.com. They have tropical weight wool for a great price.

If it fits correctly, they are perfectly comfortable. Make SURE you get a shirt with ample neck room. So many man strangle themselves for no apparent reason. and PLEASE do not wear a wing collar. a lay-down or spread collar is what is worn with a dinner jacket, no matter what those people in a tux store may tell you. Even though boys wear them to high school proms all time, does not make them correct.

I wouldn't argue with any of this. Save only to point out that black is more flattering to those who are well upholstered!

Matthew

I'd like to think that everyone has a hand tied silk bow tie in black.

I don't. I don't own a bow tie of any sort, clip-on, whirly battery-operated or otherwise. I feel inferior.

Please keep the standards on Cunard up. There are so many lines where you can dress informally.

But only one line that offers regular non-stop service between the East Coast and England...

I suspect a significant number of Cunard passengers would take a less formal alternative *if* one existed.

I suspect a significant number of Cunard passengers would take a less formal alternative *if* one existed.

I'm afraid you will find this suspicion unfounded and groundless. Half the reason to sail with Cunard is the formality and the history. Take those two things away and there's no difference between a Queen and a Princess.

If you mean take another ship line, why yes. Norwegian does transatlantics/repositioning cruises from New Jersey to Europe.

Have to agree with Wadadli1 on this one. I am dying to find a line where I would feel comfortable in my white tie and tails. Bought 'em for the glee club in college and now they are just moldering away in the closet. I sincerely doubt that Cunard passengers, in general, long for Cunard to be less formal (and really, how tough is it to put on a suit for an elegant dinner?) when there are plenty of alternative lines where one can enjoy exactly such preferences?

I read a thread in the Cruise Discussion Topics the other day titled something like "What is the wildest thing you have ever seen on a cruise?"

I read the thread for nearly an hour - mostly aghast at what goes on, and is often acceptable behavior on other cruise lines. I am quite grateful to all who have upheld the formal tradition of the Queens. I will be bringing my family and am relieved that we will not have to guard against topless decks, women stuffing fruit down their suits, and personal sexual questions used as entertainment. My fourteen year old son would love to see all of these things, I'm sure. He'll have to wait for college .... as I did.

I am far from a prude, but would rather keep my perversities along the lines of inuendo. Cole Porter, Noel Coward both come to mind.

So, this rambling post is another vote for the fomality of the QM2. We are licentious as can be, but prefer to keep it subtle!

Paul

I'm afraid you will find this suspicion unfounded and groundless. Half the reason to sail with Cunard is the formality and the history. Take those two things away and there's no difference between a Queen and a Princess.

If you mean take another ship line, why yes. Norwegian does transatlantics/repositioning cruises from New Jersey to Europe.

Actually NCL) usually sails from Manhattan. It's Royal Caribbean that sails from Bayonne, NJ...

I don't. I don't own a bow tie of any sort, clip-on, whirly battery-operated or otherwise. I feel inferior.

But only one line that offers regular non-stop service between the East Coast and England...

If being smart offends you, take a plane and leave those who like to dress appropriately, to do so, without having to witness scruffy slobs at dinner, which is equally offensive to those with even a modicum of self awareness and respect for others.

It may come as a surprise but there are many passengers on a Transatlantic crossing just for the fact that it is a voyage and not a cruise and dressing up is part of the thrill.

There are plenty of alternatives for those who do not wish to take this type of holiday and where you do not have to show your fellow passengers any respect, by abiding by the dress code, which is clearly stated in the brochure before you book.

The fact you cannot tie a bow tie is very illuminating and supports an inference that, not only do you like to be scruffy you are keen to wallow in your ignorance.

The fact you cannot tie a bow tie is very illuminating and supports an inference that, not only do you like to be scruffy you are keen to wallow in your ignorance.

I have been consdering a cruise with Cunard, this comment alone is sufficent for me to eliminate that choice. I can not tie a bow tie and do no feel the need to, also I do not consider myself scruffy or indeed keen to wallow in my ignorance.

I am happy to leave you to your pre conceptions of others

I am going to say sorry now folks,,,,but i have winged collar shirts to wear with my dinner suite. :)

But dont worry i will try and not wear white socks with my sandals :eek: incase i forget i will be the one with 3 people walking behind trying not to know me.

Brian

Brian:

Don't fret about the collar. I too have a couple of winged collared shirts that I happily wear. I have been told that it is not absolutely the most proper, but believe me, no one will notice (well some might) and if they do, they likely will not say a word given how dashing you shall undoubtedly look in you evening dress.

Michael

I have been consdering a cruise with Cunard, this comment alone is sufficent for me to eliminate that choice. I can not tie a bow tie and do no feel the need to, also I do not consider myself scruffy or indeed keen to wallow in my ignorance.

Haworth, please tell me you are not going to let certain words put you off Cunard forever? Now that would be truly silly. I presume you can tie a four-in hand? You could opt for a dark suit.

If you do opt for formalwear, I can assure you, a pre-tied tie will do (just don't point it out to anyone!). While a self-tie tie is a bit more dashing, especially later in the evening when some smashing dame will have the chance to "untie" it, don't worry if you cannot (yet) tie a bow tie. I expect you have many days to practice, and it really is just like tying your laces (but it can be tough getting your head out of your shoe;) ).

There are many men who cannot tie a bow tie - some get someone else to tie them and others get a pre-tied one (of which there are some high quality ones). It does not make you a better person simply because you can tie one unaided.

Please do not eliminate Cunard based on the poster above. There are many delightful people on board of all ages and all backgrounds. I will stress though that the dress code in the evenings throughout the ship is smart / formal / posh and people do not generally go and get changed after dinner.

For anyone who might like them: instructions on how to tie a bow tie can be found here: http://www.societies.cam.ac.uk/cuhags/whitetie/howtotie.htm

p.s. When I last sailed in May 2005, the male hosts all wore white jackets on the evening of the Black and White ball, so it is acceptable dress on the QM2 at least.

J.

If being smart offends you, take a plane and leave those who like to dress appropriately, to do so, without having to witness scruffy slobs at dinner, which is equally offensive to those with even a modicum of self awareness and respect for others.

It may come as a surprise but there are many passengers on a Transatlantic crossing just for the fact that it is a voyage and not a cruise and dressing up is part of the thrill.

There are plenty of alternatives for those who do not wish to take this type of holiday and where you do not have to show your fellow passengers any respect, by abiding by the dress code, which is clearly stated in the brochure before you book.

Says it all about you i think.

I went and found a nice collared dress shirt but it did not look as good as my wing-collared shirts. I did TRY, though. ;)

I'd like to add here that it seems a waste to me to look at the dress code as a "what do I HAVE to wear" or "what is the least I can get away with". Dressing well on QM2 is a "positive" part of the voyage, not some requirement you must satisfy in order to be allowed to eat.

As you say, "DASHING". I LOVE seeing everyone look wonderful in their dashing suits and beautiful gowns.

Brian:

Don't fret about the collar. I too have a couple of winged collared shirts that I happily wear. I have been told that it is not absolutely the most proper, but believe me, no one will notice (well some might) and if they do, they likely will not say a word given how dashing you shall undoubtedly look in you evening dress.

Michael

The point I was making, which I am sure you understood, is that outside of the bi-annual repositioning season Cunard is the only line to offer a regular, direct service between the East Coast and England. If another line was to offer the same service, to the same standards, with only the employees being required to dress formally, I would take this hypothetical other line.

I can't fly non-stop between my home town and London on my preferred Trans Atlantic carrier. The service isn't available so I take the alternative. I am financially restricted to using mass market methods of crossing the Atlantic (BA, Cunard, Continental etc) so I have to take what is available whether it is perfect for me or not!

The point I was making, which I am sure you understood, is that outside of the bi-annual repositioning season Cunard is the only line to offer a regular, direct service between the East Coast and England. If another line was to offer the same service, to the same standards, with only the employees being required to dress formally, I would take this hypothetical other line.

I'd definitely be interested in a less formal alternative, and, like you, suspect that there are others that feel this way. Flying long distances is uncomfortable for me, and now that we are retired, we have the time to cross by boat, rather than by plane. We are booked on Cunard over and back this summer (it being, as you mention, the only option available), with a couple of months of cruising and land-based travel in between. We're not bringing any formal clothes, and don't really need the lectures on well-fitting 50.00 suits, non-crass ties, dresses that fold into the size of handkerchiefs, and the acceptable reasons for sailing Cunard. We won't be breaking any rules, so will probably remain in our cabin most evenings, although I had hoped that the buffet was meant to be a less formal experience than the main dining room.

Some of you lot don't know you are born. It is easy to dress up when you're a man. Or a woman. But as a 13" bear, it is a real challenge. I ordered (well, had ordered for me!) a dress suit, but it is too large. The assumption is that everyone is 15" tall....

However I will be wearing a self tied tie, even though I've had to resort to asking a friend of a friend to make me one. You lot with ten fingers should be ashamed of yourselves - imagine tying one with paws!

Bluey.

I have been considering a cruise with Cunard, this comment alone is sufficient for me to eliminate that choice. I can not tie a bow tie and do no feel the need to, also I do not consider myself scruffy or indeed keen to wallow in my ignorance.

I am happy to leave you to your preconceptions of others

But that is just the point, you are not: why would you take a look at a brochure, which states formal dress and then wish to ignore this, as it does not suit you? You would not go to a restaurant where you did not feel comfortable, so why try to do so when going on holiday? Leave this type of destination to those who do like to be more formal, there is no need to come on board and spoil it for others.

If you are telling the truth, then we will both be happy, if you have decided against sailing with Cunard, had you thought of Thompson's, they do the type of casual cruise you may be more comfortable with? You may feel happier here than having to dress up, which appears to be a problem for you.

Good luck, and if you ever wish to tie a bow tie, if you can tie your shoe laces you can tie a bow tie. I trust you can tie your shoe laces and do not have to use Velcro?

Heads up- if you down load Google spell check you will not make so many spelling errors. I have correct the spelling in your post so that if you have any personal pride you can correct your original post, though, from your other comments, personal pride is not high on your list of priorities.

Archived