How do I know which insurance company to use?

wrg11

I've been to insuremytrip.com and there are just so many companies and policies. How can I choose? Any recommendations? Thanks.

First I skim through the choices and pick a few that I am interested in. I find what I consider to be the best one. Then I go back and start comparing it to other offerings that are close in price or less. I look at the limits, restrictions and the AM Best rating (must be A rated or better). I don't pay too much attention to the reviews as some are bias and some are fake.

Then I choose the insurance that best meets my needs for the least amount.

Whatever you do get Trip Insurance. We have always taken it and had to use it in Alaska in 2005. My wife had a gall bladder attack and was Medi-vacuated off the ship in Sitka Alaska. 3 days in the hospital and a back to back flight to get back to Seattle for our original flight back home. The bill was well into 5 figures (fully paid) and we received half of the Cruise cost (Penthouse Suite) back which we used in 2006 for a return trip to do what we didn't do on the first one. Yes only A rated company's need to be considered.

I highly recommend TravelGuard. I helped friends -one who became very ill just before their cruise and had to cancel. The amount of their claim was over $8000. I told them to prepare for lots of hassle and a long wait - totally wrong. TravelGuard was fabulous to work with - sent the reimbursement check in no time. Any company can give a good price quote - but I'd choose one that has proven to have great customer service when you need it!

First check to see what insurance coverage you already have between your own medical insurance and the credit cards used to pay for your cruise and airfare.

Some homeowners or rental policies will even cover possessions that are lost, damaged or stolen while traveling.

Insurance companies make a fortune selling policies to people that only duplicate coverage they already have.

If any members of your family sell insurance, talk to them and you can get an earful about how easily some people are intimidated into throwing their money away to buy duplicate coverage they don't need.

Unfortunately, the converse is also true -- there are some people who should buy additional travel insurance but don't.

Archived