Dream 3-day cruise

ivrier

Hello all! 3 families including ours will be on the April 2018 3-day cruise. It'll be there 1st and we are Platinum members. They wanted to try out DCL. I had wished to do at least a 4-day cruise but the price during spring break did not justify the difference. What shows will we be expecting on a 3-day cruise? We haven't done one this short at all as we primarily take the annual 10 days or more European DCL cruises. We skipped this year for the ABD Rhine River cruise this July 2017. It was fabulous by the way!! Anyway, DCL website suggested shows including Believe, Golden Mickey and Beauty and the Beast. Are these what we should be expecting?

thanks in advance

That is currently accurate. The shows are the same on the 3 night (2 1/2 day) and 4 night cruises on the Dream. The big difference is that you don't have a sea day and the pirate activities will be on the same night as a main stage show.

My opinion is that once I'm paying the money to get to the port and back home, I may as well stay as long as I can afford....whether that means time or money!

Moki, I totally agree with the last statement. However, the other families' foreign currency is less powerful than the USD and travelling to the US is not cheap as they will also be visiting others states and cities. The 4-day cruise was actually $1500 more than the 3-day cruise on the same category. Weird, and I couldn't believe it. Fortunately for my family we will be heading for the 10-day med cruise on July 7, 2017.

Hello all! 3 families including ours will be on the April 2018 3-day cruise. It'll be there 1st and we are Platinum members. They wanted to try out DCL. I had wished to do at least a 4-day cruise but the price during spring break did not justify the difference. What shows will we be expecting on a 3-day cruise? We haven't done one this short at all as we primarily take the annual 10 days or more European DCL cruises. We skipped this year for the ABD Rhine River cruise this July 2017. It was fabulous by the way!! Anyway, DCL website suggested shows including Believe, Golden Mickey and Beauty and the Beast. Are these what we should be expecting?

thanks in advance

This navigator link from the Disney Cruise line Blog for the Dream should help you plan. Of course things can change, but I think this will be pretty spot on for your cruise.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2017/08/personal-navigators-3-night-bahamian-cruise-port-canaveral-july-14-2017/

This navigator link from the Disney Cruise line Blog for the Dream should help you plan. Of course things can change, but I think this will be pretty spot on for your cruise.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2017/08/personal-navigators-3-night-bahamian-cruise-port-canaveral-july-14-2017/

Yes. But BATB starts its run with the 11/6 cruise, so it will not be on any Navigators before that.

Yes. But BATB starts its run with the 11/6 cruise, so it will not be on any Navigators before that.

I'm not sure what you are talking about Beth. They are asking about a 3 day Dream cruise that will occur April 2018. The Navigators I placed a link for are for a standard 3 day cruise that they are taking and they are the most current ones on the Disney blog without muddying the water with a Halloween cruise. This information will give them a good idea what they can expect, so they can start to plan.

I'm not sure what you are talking about Beth. They are asking about a 3 day Dream cruise that will occur April 2018. The Navigators I placed a link for are for a standard 3 day cruise that they are taking and they are the most current ones on the Disney blog without muddying the water with a Halloween cruise. This information will give them a good idea what they can expect, so they can start to plan.

They asked about the show Line-up. That WILL be different than any of the Navigators out because Villains Tonight was thankfully put out of our misery and is no longer running. They have been showing a movie or something on that night since early August. Beauty and the Beast (BATB) will begin its run as one of the three production shows with the 11/6 cruise. But it has not been revealed if that will go in the middle slot Villains occupied or if they will change the order around.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They asked about the show Line-up. That WILL be different than any of the Navigators out because Villains Tonight was thankfully put out of our misery and is no longer running. They have been showing a movie or something on that night since early August. Beauty and the Beast (BATB) will begin its run as one of the three production shows with the 11/6 cruise. But it has not been revealed if that will go in the middle slot Villains occupied or if they will change the order around.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My bad, I thought that was common knowledge and they had mentioned that in their post. I missed they wanted a confirmation. I also had no idea what the abbreviation you used stood for. It's all good.:)

thanks in advance

we just did a 3 day in august for the first time since 2004.

it was fun, but i did cry as we left the ship. Being on a ship for only 3 days is indeed painful!!

I'm sure it will be painful for you too, but your friends at least should get a little taste of what DCL is like.

the performers on the dream - if you have the same ones we had - are incredibly talented.

easily broadway level.

we didn't have beauty and the beast, so i don't know how that will be (though i'm sure belle will actually be able to sing unlike that atrocious actress in the disney live action movie by the same name).

we really enjoyed the golden mickeys and believe...

again, the singers are so incredible it literally took our breath away!!

Moki, I totally agree with the last statement. However, the other families' foreign currency is less powerful than the USD and travelling to the US is not cheap as they will also be visiting others states and cities. The 4-day cruise was actually $1500 more than the 3-day cruise on the same category. Weird, and I couldn't believe it. Fortunately for my family we will be heading for the 10-day med cruise on July 7, 2017.

Same for us.. I posted over at the DIS ... the 4 day WAS 1000 more... and I was like Forget that, that is about 3/4 more days at WDW after the cruise... But I then was flexible with Dates and a few weeks later the difference was only 400.. Oceanview was also then avail. which save about 200... so we are now doing the 4 nights... but some of the pricing differences for that one extra night are simply ridiculous... I can see if one is flying in and having that huge Overhead cost ... but we are doing land and sea and in this case.. MUCH more land possibilities than sea possible with 1000+

Thank you for all of the response! We will be spending 4 days at the WDW prior to the cruise. The children are not aware of the cruise so it'll be a huge and wonderful surprise. I can't wait till we see their faces when we head towards the port and see that beautiful ship.

Funny thing about the shows. I feel that the performers on the Dream among all of the other ships were outstanding and better than the others. I've only been 3 times on the Dream and each time the shows left me in tears. We accompanied another family 2 years ago on the Dream and I just can't get over the performances. I wonder if DCL assign the best performers on the Dream as most of the passengers are 'trying' out the DCL and eventually winning them over to try to other longer trips on the other ships.

Thank you for all of the response! We will be spending 4 days at the WDW prior to the cruise. The children are not aware of the cruise so it'll be a huge and wonderful surprise. I can't wait till we see their faces when we head towards the port and see that beautiful ship.

Funny thing about the shows. I feel that the performers on the Dream among all of the other ships were outstanding and better than the others. I've only been 3 times on the Dream and each time the shows left me in tears. We accompanied another family 2 years ago on the Dream and I just can't get over the performances. I wonder if DCL assign the best performers on the Dream as most of the passengers are 'trying' out the DCL and eventually winning them over to try to other longer trips on the other ships.

It's just luck of the audition draw. Entertainment teams come and go as a team, and each ship is on a different schedule. It's not like a general audition and they are all assigned and all go at the same time. It's pretty much they are auditioning for DCL for one of the ships (not sure if the entertainers know which one), one ship team will be rehearsing in Toronto (and so that ship's onboard team will be in its last portion of the cycle), one of the ships will have a new team, and one ship will have a team midway through its cycle. And once a team completes a cycle, the performers have to take a period off before they can audition for DCL again if they want and are able to. I've seen just as excellent performers on the Magic and the Fantasy as on the Dream. It honestly just depends on who is auditioning at what time.

As above, the cast is assembled from those who audition. Each cast member fills a primary role in one of the shows and then serves in minor roles on the other shows. They also may act as understudies for other main roles. For example, (I'll use ancient history intentionally here), the man who played Tarzan in Golden Mickeys also played Jac in Twice Charmed and one of the "puppy boys" in the Cruella scene (was that Disney Dreams?) This was on the Magic many years ago. The casts do a rehearsal period in Toronto, then a changeover time on the ship before they are the cast for about 4 months. Unlike other employees, they board the ship as a cast and disembark as a cast. The only exception to this is if someone needs to be replaced due to illness or injury. Each cast has a designation number like "Dream 32" meaning they were the 32nd cast on the Dream.

It is not that there is an enforced time before they can audition again, but if they want to go back to the same ship, they are essentially a "shoe in" unless they didn't behave during their time on board. SO, if D32 is on the Dream now, D33 will be in the audition and rehearsal phase. Someone can't come off D32 and become part of D33. He or she will have to wait for the D34 auditions. However, they could possibly come off D32 and audition for M 145 BUT that would be a first time audition for shows they have not already done. Most take a land job for the time until they can audition to return to "their" ship. We have a good friend who was a performer on the Dream, and at one point was called from his job as a restaurant server and asked if he could meet the Dream in PC in 3 days. The performer who was in "his" spot had broken an ankle, and needed a replacement. Since he filled all the same roles, he was the logical choice.

So no, the "best" performers are not assigned to any one ship. The "best" performers at any audition are hired for the next cast on whichever ship. They can also be "referred" for other positions within Disney. For example, the casting director running the auditions for a ship cast is also aware of what the Broadway shows need--if he sees someone he feels is right, he can make a phone call, sending them to see the necessary person for whatever role is needed. And a stage performer who does really well can ultimately become a Cruise Director and then the head of entertainment shoreside. Disney is always looking for really good people!

We did a cruise where one of the featured speakers was a casting director for DCL--he had lots of interesting insights.