Clues for Quads? (how to survive with four people in one cabin)

I should point out that HAL often charges quite a bit more for cabins that take more than two in the oceanview category. We considered bring a third person once, but it turned out that we had to pay almost $1k more to move from a "2-persons max" oceanview cabin to one that could sleep three. In our case, it would have been about the same cost to add an interior cabin for the third person. (I booked close to cruising day, so there were substantial discounts available on certain cabins. This may not be different if booking far in advance.)

I understand parents wanting to keep the kids together with them, but for the case of adults you should try for the lowest cost 2-max cabins. Best prices are about 3 weeks before sailing and there some great deals if you are flexible. This is far preferable to cramming four adults in an oceanview cabin and running over to the spa every time you need to use the bathroom.

igraf

Thanks for this info. I will mention it to the family member in charge of the bookings (frustratingly not myself), and see what can be done. Mom has limited mobility and does need a bit of help with things, so the two doubles would have to be fairly close to each other (two connecting cabins would be absolutely ideal).

(Well, okay, a Neptune Suite is what would be absolutely ideal, but that is not going to happen unless the Upgrade Fairy takes complete leave of her senses).

(Well, okay, a Neptune Suite is what would be absolutely ideal, but that is not going to happen unless the Upgrade Fairy takes complete leave of her senses).

I think you might be able to crowd-fund the Neptune suite, but only if you promise to star in a reality TV program called "Clues for Quads". Though four close friends kicking around in 350 sq feet together, just might not be as much fun or action-packed as doing the same within 180 sq feet.

It sounds like you will have a lot of fun sorting this all out, and we eagerly await your post-cruise report to see how it all worked out. This has been a facinating thread. Your title was a real tickler. And the advice has been great.

It sounds like you will have a lot of fun sorting this all out, and we eagerly await your post-cruise report to see how it all worked out. This has been a fascinating thread. Your title was a real tickler.
Aw, thanks. :) I was a little afraid the title might be too "ticklish," so I'm especially glad to hear you liked it.

I think some of the best fun, and the best stories, may arise from all of this cheek-by-jowl-ism (things like: "Hey, Sis, remember the time I went nearly crazy trying to find my shoes?" "'Cause I'd put them in the shoe organizer?" "Yeah. I never expected anyone would hide them in there!"). But I do want to maximize our opportunities to keep our collective sense of humor. ;)

And I do also promise to report back afterwards.

I think you might be able to crowd-fund the Neptune suite, but only if you promise to star in a reality TV program called "Clues for Quads". Though four close friends kicking around in 350 sq feet together, just might not be as much fun or action-packed as doing the same within 180 sq feet.
Okay, here's the pitch:

We keep the current quad and we get a Neptune Suite. We roust Bro & SIL from their current, serenely separate, double; and we get BIL & our other sister to abandon their present silly plans for "working" at their "jobs" during the cruise. That way we have 4 in the Suite and 4 in the Quad. Each week, our faithful viewing audience votes one person "up" from the Quad and one "down" from the Suite (we've of course swapped out the 7-day Alaska cruise on the Oosterdam for the longest RTW cruise the Prinsendam has to offer).

For Sweeps Week, we let the audience pick 1 person to enjoy a week in one of the 3 singles onboard. Members of the 2 married couples may enjoy a double with their spouse or may opt for the single (although married people opting for singles should bear in mind that they will return at the end of the week to a pair of staterooms still containing their spouses).

At the end of the cruise/series, I will take my 1/8 share of the profits and buy Holland America Cruise Lines to run - with the input of the CC Boards - exactly as I see fit.

;)

Another thought: The people sleeping on the pullman and the couch will not have a nightstand... we've started bringing folding cubes (the kind that fold flat) when we have complex itineraries and not sure what our accommodations will really be. They are useful for all the little night things... eyeglasses, alarm clock, small flashlight, personal items etc. I bought ours at the family dollar store. They were great when we slept in a sleeper van in New Zealand which had no room at all!

Have a fun time! m--

Aw, thanks. :) I was a little afraid the title might be too "ticklish," so I'm especially glad to hear you liked it.

I think some of the best fun, and the best stories, may arise from all of this cheek-by-jowl-ism (things like: "Hey, Sis, remember the time I went nearly crazy trying to find my shoes?" "'Cause I'd put them in the shoe organizer?" "Yeah. I never expected anyone would hide them in there!"). But I do want to maximize our opportunities to keep our collective sense of humor. ;)

And I do also promise to report back afterwards.

Okay, here's the pitch:

We keep the current quad and we get a Neptune Suite. We roust Bro & SIL from their current, serenely separate, double; and we get BIL & our other sister to abandon their present silly plans for "working" at their "jobs" during the cruise. That way we have 4 in the Suite and 4 in the Quad. Each week, our faithful viewing audience votes one person "up" from the Quad and one "down" from the Suite (we've of course swapped out the 7-day Alaska cruise on the Oosterdam for the longest RTW cruise the Prinsendam has to offer).

For Sweeps Week, we let the audience pick 1 person to enjoy a week in one of the 3 singles onboard. Members of the 2 married couples may enjoy a double with their spouse or may opt for the single (although married people opting for singles should bear in mind that they will return at the end of the week to a pair of staterooms still containing their spouses).

At the end of the cruise/series, I will take my 1/8 share of the profits and buy Holland America Cruise Lines to run - with the input of the CC Boards - exactly as I see fit.

;)

I think you are on to something. Though you may want to toss in a Renewal of Vows package for those beleaguered married folks that get caught up in your Bonus Round. I just hope you travel in my time zone, so I can watch this all unfold live. Including the nightly sofa beds.

However, it will probably work best as Time-Lapse TV. That way we can capture the full frenetic musical bathroom patrol starting 6am. And check up on Mom to see what she really does saying she only sleeps 3 hours a night. I suggest hooking her up with a body cam with an audio link to see if she really ends up at the Northern Lights all-night disco lounge.

I should point out that HAL often charges quite a bit more for cabins that take more than two in the oceanview category. We considered bring a third person once, but it turned out that we had to pay almost $1k more to move from a "2-persons max" oceanview cabin to one that could sleep three. In our case, it would have been about the same cost to add an interior cabin for the third person. (I booked close to cruising day, so there were substantial discounts available on certain cabins. This may not be different if booking far in advance.)

I understand parents wanting to keep the kids together with them, but for the case of adults you should try for the lowest cost 2-max cabins. Best prices are about 3 weeks before sailing and there some great deals if you are flexible. This is far preferable to cramming four adults in an oceanview cabin and running over to the spa every time you need to use the bathroom.

igraf

Yes, but for four stars and above, we've been fortunate to have the 3rd and 4th free (just taxes) on many of our cruises. So, it can be compellingly economical to do so!

Yes, but for four stars and above, we've been fortunate to have the 3rd and 4th free (just taxes) on many of our cruises. So, it can be compellingly economical to do so!

I suspect that is the case with us and our quad (especially since the escalation from picking which one of us was going with Mom, to all three of us going with Mom, was oddly quick and painless). Not sure exactly how many stars the family member handling the booking can boast, but they do talk about that HAL as a "favorite" line and Alaska as a "favorite" cruise...

Getting the third or fourth "free" isn't always tied to your star level, we've had one of the kids (over 18, so not a child) in our cabin without charge on three different cruises, starting with our very first HAL cruise.

Yeah, one of my impressions was that HAL was happy enough to get two extra bodies, with their two extra wallets, onboard without having to give up any extra cabin space.

That possibly in combination with our request for a cabin as close to the elevators as possible: Mom is limited in mobility, but also hard of hearing, so what's not to like about elevator-adjacent? ;)

(Yes, I am planning to bring earplugs. :cool: )