Triumph Accident/BAE Shipyards

Mysticks1

The NTSB has completed their investigation of the Triumph breaking free of it's moorings here in Mobile back in April. They have determined that the cause was the failure of the bollards that the ship was tied to and that BAE was aware of the problem. It looks like BAE is going to be reimbursing Carnival for the damage to the Triumph and the other ships that she hit. Here is the article from our local news. http://www.wkrg.com/story/24630529/ntsb-completes-triumph-investigation

The NTSB has completed their investigation of the Triumph breaking free of it's moorings here in Mobile back in April. They have determined that the cause was the failure of the bollards that the ship was tied to and that BAE was aware of the problem. It looks like BAE is going to be reimbursing Carnival for the damage to the Triumph and the other ships that she hit. Here is the article from our local news. http://www.wkrg.com/story/24630529/ntsb-completes-triumph-investigation

Contrary to some posters here, most off us felt all along that this was not the fault of CCL. This ship has had issues, but we still would sail her under the right circumstances.

Contrary to some posters here, most off us felt all along that this was not the fault of CCL. This ship has had issues, but we still would sail her under the right circumstances.

I thought the same thing all along. When it happened our local news stations showed pictures of those bollards that were pulled completely out of the pier. That told me that the lines were attached when the ship broke free.

BAE will settle with Carnival and move on. This is pocket change to them. I doubt we will ever see another Carnival ship at their shipyard, though. This could be problematic for Carnival in the future, as this leaves Freeport as the only other shipyard in the area that can handle ships of that size.

We not only would, but have, and have a B2B booked on her again in September. We loved that cruise!

It's so silly the perception of some due to the sensationalism of the news and other media. Because we cruise often, we hear it all the time, and are constantly explaining what the risks really are, not the perception that most that have never cruised have.

I wouldn't want to be on a cruise that had the issues Triumph did, but I know if it ever happens, I will be well compensated. They would pay my expenses for that trip as well as provide me with another cruise to make up for it, probably at half the price. Things can go wrong on any vacation, not just a cruise.

Tore the bollards clear out of the dock??

Must have been either rusty old bollards, or poorly emplaced

-or seeeriously-high winds in order to exert THAT kinda pressure on the bollards!! :eek:

I work downtown just a few hundred yards from the dock and I can tell you it was a really bad storm. If I remember correctly at the time they said the wind gusts were 60-70 MPH. The dock collapsed and the bollards were torn from the concrete. A security guard that was in a guard shack on the dock was killed when it went into the water.

We have no problems with the Triumph and would sail her again at any time.

Doug

he only problem DW and I had on the Triumph was the temperature. That is the coldest ship we have ever sailed on. We went the last of May when we sailed her, and the whole ship, every inside venue, was extremely cold.

Edited by Georgiagolfer
spelling

Tore the bollards clear out of the dock??

Must have been either rusty old bollards, or poorly emplaced

-or seeeriously-high winds in order to exert THAT kinda pressure on the bollards!! :eek:

70 mph straight line winds that blew up out of no where. It was freak storm. Then a few weeks later a fuel barge blew up in the river 1000 ft from the Triumph. We were glad to see that b***h leave town before it got completely torn to shreds. ;) But yeah, the mounting bolts on the bollards were seriously deteriorated, according to the report.

My thinking is/was

that the mooring ropes would fail before bollards became uprooted,

thus my comment above.

Now y'all have offered clarifications, everything falls into place

even though it seems it all fell OUT of place, at the time. :D

This article explains the NTSB findings

and also has two great videos of the Triumph breaking loose and running amok in the river.

http://gcaptain.com/ntsb-bae-knew-about-poor-mooring-bollards-prior-to-carnival-triumph-breaking-free/

How unreal that a shipyard, knowing it had inferior bollards,

would allow a ship the size of Carnival Triumph to tie up there..

65mph winds or not. :cool:

When you're as big as BAE Systems, I guess you can afford to get a little arrogant and complacent. Just like BP. They'll pay their monies and move on.

This article explains the NTSB findings and also has two great videos of the Triumph breaking loose and running amok in the river.

http://gcaptain.com/ntsb-bae-knew-about-poor-mooring-bollards-prior-to-carnival-triumph-breaking-free/

I had not seen those videos. That was very interesting from the perspective of the ship that was sitting next to it. I know that there was some other damage here downtown that day as well with some awnings torn and trees damaged.

I think I read the Triumph was the largest ship that was ever moored there, and still is.

I think I read the Triumph was the largest ship that was ever moored there, and still is.

Actually I haven't seen any cruise ships there since the Triumph incident. There have been several smaller ships and a somewhat large one that seemed to be rigged for laying some type of cable with a large reel on the back but none anywhere near the size of the Triumph. I see the shipyard every day on my way to/from work.

I think the shipyard was also full at the time. Triumph was an emergency situation and was not scheduled to be there at the time. They may have just stuck it in the only available slot, at the time. After Triumph's great escape, they had no where to put it, so they tied it up at the cruise terminal across the river from the shipyard for the remainder of it's stay.

I had not seen those videos. That was very interesting from the perspective of the ship that was sitting next to it. I know that there was some other damage here downtown that day as well with some awnings torn and trees damaged.

A friend of ours had their barn leveled and my SIL had her gazebo blown over from the same storm. Both in Grand Bay.

he only problem DW and I had on the Triumph was the temperature. That is the coldest ship we have ever sailed on. We went the last of May when we sailed her, and the whole ship, every inside venue, was extremely cold.

That's true! I was so cold, I vowed I would never wear shorts on her again, and packed long tights to wear under my dresses on every cruise since! Only I have never had it be as cold as the Triumph was, and that was 2011. Maybe they should turn up the AC temp and conserve some of that power...:p

That's true! I was so cold, I vowed I would never wear shorts on her again,

and packed long tights to wear under my dresses on every cruise since!

Only I have never had it be as cold as the Triumph was, and that was 2011.

Maybe they should turn up the AC temp and conserve some of that power...:p

And no-one complained to Guest Services and/or the Cruise Director??

Everyone just put up with the inconvenience??

Has the Police State mentality finally arrived?

And no-one complained to Guest Services and/or the Cruise Director??

Everyone just put up with the inconvenience??

Has the Police State mentality finally arrived?

DW and I did comment to our Room Steward and to Guest Services about the temps. We even mentioned this is our survey, so there goes your theory. Just didn't seem necessary to mention when I made the earlier post.

BAE will settle with Carnival and move on. This is pocket change to them. I doubt we will ever see another Carnival ship at their shipyard, though. This could be problematic for Carnival in the future, as this leaves Freeport as the only other shipyard in the area that can handle ships of that size.

Boy you sure are jumping the gun by making wild assumptions like this.