Falmouth port . Shopping on a budget !

keeser

We are stopping at Falmouth port. I think we will just wander around port and hv our feet firmly on Jamaica ! I hear mention of a gate. Does that mean it's safer inside gate and is it dangerous outside. I just want to butt some souvenirs , say shot glasses, key rings, t shirts. Where would I get these items and is jamaica cheap for buying things like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As I explained in another post, from our experience, I wouldn't necessarily characterize it as unsafe outside the gate and around town, though other may feel differently. We've just had a couple of unpleasant interactions with the locals and it matched our experience previously in Ocho Rios. But the experiences were enough for us not to want to visit Jamaica anymore.

There's surprisingly quite a bit of shopping with good variety within the gated port area. In our limited interactions with the shops inside the port, the staff seemed generally friendly or at worst just indifferent. However, the pricing seemed noticeably more expensive than shopping around the town which is a given.

We found the people of Jamaica friendly and funny. You can say NO to anyone trying to sell you something. We wouldn't hesitate to go back to Jamaica and walk around town. The people are poor and just trying to make a living. Treat them with respect and understanding and move on along your way.

there is a market area inside the port, but we didn't feel unsafe when we ventured outside the port area. We "hired" a local guide wearing a uniform for $20, and he showed us around the fishing village for a couple of hours and took us to some local food joint. Hubs liked the chicken. I am too scared to eat off the ship.

• 2 weeks later...
We found the people of Jamaica friendly and funny. You can say NO to anyone trying to sell you something. We wouldn't hesitate to go back to Jamaica and walk around town. The people are poor and just trying to make a living. Treat them with respect and understanding and move on along your way.

I totally share your opinion.

There is a man inside the gated area that makes and sells baskets very cheap. Our cruise director told us about him. I can’t remember his name, but he does great work with native materials. You can’t miss him if you wander around the port!