Zuiderdam late sailing from New York

Pam in KY

Sept. NewEngland/Canada cruise on Zuiderdam. Posted sailing time is 8 p.m. Research tells me it is probably because ship arriving from Europe and will need inspection and that will cause a delay in boarding. Can anyone tell me what time (how long) the delay might be, approximately what time we might be able to board? Would we be able to leave luggage at the port since we have an early morning flight and go into town rather than sitting in the port terminal all day? (I like to worry about things ahead of time LOL).

There may be the possibility of four reasons for the later departure. One: as you mentioned. Two: other traffic in New York Harbor and/or the attraction of leaving at dusk. Three: a larger number of overseas passengers with later arrivals to NYC. MSC does this in Miami leaving at 19:00. Four: distance to Boston.

I am sure that boarding would commence in early afternoon as usual. That would also mean that the lifeboat drill would be held mid-afternoon before Early Seating, not just prior to sailing .

You sail from Manhattan. You are in town.

Depending on which airport you are flying into and the time of day that you land, you may not have as much time between pier arrival and boarding as you may think.

Because of muster drill, all aboard time will be sometime in late afternoon (4PM or thereabouts).

There may be the possibility of four reasons for the later departure. One: as you mentioned. Two: other traffic in New York Harbor and/or the attraction of leaving at dusk. Three: a larger number of overseas passengers with later arrivals to NYC. MSC does this in Miami leaving at 19:00. Four: distance to Boston.

I am sure that boarding would commence in early afternoon as usual. That would also mean that the lifeboat drill would be held mid-afternoon before Early Seating, not just prior to sailing .

According to the ship itinerary, it is arriving from Europe that morning so I suspect that the inspection would be the most likely reason.

According to the ship itinerary, it is arriving from Europe that morning so I suspect that the inspection would be the most likely reason.

Maybe, maybe not. There are other plausible reasons as mentioned above. Plus, ships arrive in Ft Lauderdale many times each year, get their inspections, board new pax, and sail at standard times.

I think you will board at normal time...starting no later than noon.

Maybe, maybe not. There are other plausible reasons as mentioned above. Plus, ships arrive in Ft Lauderdale many times each year, get their inspections, board new pax, and sail at standard times.

Not always, we have been on a first sailing departing from FLL after a Dam ship arrived from sailing in Europe and the inspection process was significantly longer than the regular B2B turnaround. Our delay was close to 2 hours.