Katakolon, Mykonos, Piraeus shopping

drakie123

Good day, we are super excited going on our first cruise seeing a part of Greece in July. We have read alot about each port and what to see and do.

It will be the first time our teenagers will see europe, and they are really very excited.

I have a question in regards of shopping. Where would be the most value for money shopping for shoes, clothes, bags and jewelery. I heard that Mykonos can be expensive. We would like to bring home some beautiful, traditional items.

I will also appreciate ideas, looking for the smaller, family shops.

My guess is that your best shopping will be in Plaka in Athens. However you may be interested in the local cooperative for local jewellery, food stuffs, olive oil products and tasting near Katakolon. We visited this last year on a tour with The Travel Insiders (Best of Olympia)

We've been to Mykonos twice and thought things were very reasonably priced. The main town is not large so easy to wander and find small shops off the main port area.

We found some good prices on cotton clothes in the Plaka area in Athens.

For clothes and sandals Mykonos would be my choice.

Katakolon is definitely not the right place for shopping.

Neither Katakolon itself nor Olympia do have any kind of goods which can be called "traditional"

Most of the stuff is cheap tourist stuff for quite high prices.

Although i haven`t been to Mykonos yet,i assume that there or in Athens it is more recommendable.Mykonos is not that much into tourism so far and Athens has much more choice.

We have bought some very very nice pieces of modern design jewelry in mykonos. Athens had of course also good stores for this, but we found it a lot more relaxed in Mykonos.

For us it is good to know that many of the jewellers have connections in Australia (mostly in Melbourne) , just in case something should go wrong.

Thus far we have not have any dramas. Pieces from a few hundred to several thousands....

And all the shops will provide VAT refund paperwork....

Please don't just spend your time shopping you are visiting the cradle of civilisation, see and understand the history of where you are. You can buy a handbag anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are definitely going for the history, enjoying and learning everything we can about the cities, people and culture. As this would probably be the only time we will be visiting we would love to bring something home to remind us of the amazing time we had.

Thanks for all the information on where to look for clothes, shoes & jewelry. Looks like we will definitely find something in Mykonos or Plaka, but will explore all our options.

Mykanos has a lot of high end shops, but for more local items it is a lot more expensive than Athens. Cotton throws my wife was looking at last week were €10 in Athens, but the same items in Mykanos ranged from €25 to €35.

Katakolo and Olympia, nothing to buy but tourist tat.

• 1 year later...

I totally agree about the pricing in Mykonos. In Athens you can find everything if you have the time to search for the right shop. Katakolo and Olympia have alot of touristy shops but are small and you can find hidden gems because of the newer generation of shop owners who run modern businesses with quality and tastefull gifts, in the best prices compared to Athens. Check tripadvisor

Mykanos has a lot of high end shops, but for more local items it is a lot more expensive than Athens. Cotton throws my wife was looking at last week were €10 in Athens, but the same items in Mykanos ranged from €25 to €35.

Katakolo and Olympia, nothing to buy but tourist tat.