Oil Spill

korr2

Now cnn is saying oil spill could last until late august!!! I am not from the gulf coast states, but I feel for the people who live there and for the cruising industry. We are cruising out of galveston in august 30, 2010. Just wondering if that is going to effect us cruising?? BP better get there act together or otherwise gov. will step in. Which I am sure GOV. has already!!!! It just makes me mad of the whole situation.:mad:

Now cnn is saying oil spill could last until late august!!! I am not from the gulf coast states, but I feel for the people who live there and for the cruising industry. We are cruising out of galveston in august 30, 2010. Just wondering if that is going to effect us cruising?? BP better get there act together or otherwise gov. will step in. Which I am sure GOV. has already!!!! It just makes me mad of the whole situation.:mad:

Ummm Gov't stepped in a while ago and as usual couldn't do anything about it.

I don't believe a word that comes out of the mouth of any BP employee. They have lied about this from day one. As to the government getting involved, it will be to little - to late as usual. Louisiana is getting wacked right not and the government is doing nothing. They are leaving it to BP and look what they are doing, for all practical purposes - nothing.

Please keep the beaurocrats out of it. Oversight of course. But who in government has the experience or background. BP has the most expertese and equipment to fix the problem. They are using everything possible to try to contain this tragedy. It's going to cost them billions and of course their reputation. Even now, nobody knows the extent of the damage and loss. Except for the media and of course they know all.

Like Katrina, this is greater than anyone imagined possible.

I think you'll be fine out of Galveston as the currents are taking the oil to the east. I do wish Carnival would post something on thier website telling us whats going on. It seems that the ships out of New Orleans and Mobile are operating as normal.

I think you'll be fine out of Galveston as the currents are taking the oil to the east. I do wish Carnival would post something on thier website telling us whats going on. It seems that the ships out of New Orleans and Mobile are operating as normal.

Well, they did post one at first for Mobile saying everything was normal..but usually they dont put up a advisatory to say everything so far is normal as far as their ships.

I am sure there were at least 8 people who all started threads to report that Carnival said everything was going as normal and that Carnival was monitoring the situation. They now took it down. How long should they keep up the post that everything is unchanged as far as cruises go?? Months, weeks? a year? (it could last a year). I think its a given they are monitoring the situation, so that was dumb to put as a advisatory to me.

The long term projections actually call for the spill to move westward over the next couple of months as the Loop Current changes shape. An August departure from a Texas port could very well be affected if that projected westward movement does indeed happen.

this new thing they are gonna try better work or its gonna get worse they are gonna cut the top of the well off and then put a cap over it but if that dont work alot more oil is gonna come out and then we might be in trouble

The long term projections actually call for the spill to move westward over the next couple of months as the Loop Current changes shape. An August departure from a Texas port could very well be affected if that projected westward movement does indeed happen.

CC Crazies TOO are leaving in Sept. I havent seen any of them even talking about it or worrying.

CC Crazies TOO are leaving in Sept. I havent seen any of them even talking about it or worrying.

That's probably because they're assuming the spill will head East or North and Galveston won't be affected. If it moves West as predicted Texas will most likely be affected later this summer; and if BP doesn't stem the rate of flow significantly in the next week or two with the LRMP, then no Gulf of Mexico port will be unaffected by August or September.

That's probably because they're assuming the spill will head East or North and Galveston won't be affected. If it moves West as predicted Texas will most likely be affected later this summer; and if BP doesn't stem the rate of flow significantly in the next week or two with the LRMP, then no Gulf of Mexico port will be unaffected by August or September.

I really think not everyone is worrying, Im not. I feel like some people on here just want to find something to worry about, so the oil spill is something to talk about.

I really am not worrying about getting out of Galveston ... and I cruised from New Orleans a couple weeks ago too and booked last minute and it never crossed my mind to worry about the oil spill until I came on here, and see how many people are so worried, and went wow. Even posts, I am cruising from the east coast of Florida, will I be affected?? (who knows, no use worrying about something no one knows if it will affect you?)

thats not to say I dont follow the news on CNN and think its awful, but my cruises and how it will affect me, just dont enter the picture. Carnival will figure something out.

Don't you in your own life plan for and prepare for the worst and hope (not count on) the best possible outcome for any venture? Well welcome to the world of corporate arrogance-We'll buy our way out of whatever-WELL IT'S TIME TO PAY UP. Not that the Gulf Coast can ever be made whole. No more so than Exxon has lived up to that promise to the north. That's two strikes are WE fed up yet. Apparently NOT it's pretty quiet given the situation. I just wish that these corporate yes men would have a fraction of the moral fiber and intestinal fortitude the people we honor today have displayed. Wars are fought on many battlefields. That said-THANK YOU TO ALL WHO HAVE SERVED ANYWHERE TO PROTECT FREEDOM.

we

Firefly that wasn't meant as a reply to your comment. Just venting.

I know we are all frustrated by the oil spill. I was on Conquest during Ike and never saw my car again, and we were diverted to New Orleans in a monsoon rain .. how can this oil spill affect my cruise any worse than destroying my car?? To me it can't so that's why I'm not worried about the oil spill affecting my cruise. So what?? we miss a port?? What's the worse, ok they cancel it and give us our money back (unlikely knowing Carnival)... the cruise will go on.

I really see no reason to worry about how this will affect my cruise(s), in the grand scheme of things.

Don't you in your own life plan for and prepare for the worst and hope (not count on) the best possible outcome for any venture? Well welcome to the world of corporate arrogance-We'll buy our way out of whatever-WELL IT'S TIME TO PAY UP. Not that the Gulf Coast can ever be made whole. No more so than Exxon has lived up to that promise to the north. That's two strikes are WE fed up yet. Apparently NOT it's pretty quiet given the situation. I just wish that these corporate yes men would have a fraction of the moral fiber and intestinal fortitude the people we honor today have displayed. Wars are fought on many battlefields. That said-THANK YOU TO ALL WHO HAVE SERVED ANYWHERE TO PROTECT FREEDOM.

we

From what I have read 3 or 4 devices failed that should have prevented this from happening. Not sure how anyone could plan on this. Not trying to take away from BP's role in this biut I for one would rather see less congressional hearings and finger pointing until this thing is stopped. There will be plenty of time for all the lawyers to make their money afterwards!

Hopefully it was a car you were ready to say goodbye to-had a couple of those!:)

Nope, it was a expensive car, very few miles, all the bells and whistles, bought showroom new. Had all the CDs we owned in the trunk of the car, insurance didnt cover contents. Allstate was about the last into the area, EZCruise was fighting with the tow trucks by then. It was a pretty awful experience. Paid $200 for more drugs in Cozumel for my sister for nothing when they were scaring us they didnt know when we would get home, expenses to get home....on and on.

Thats why I said this can't be as bad. Whats the worst?? A beach closed??

.... think about this oil spill. What is the worst that you can imagine could happen from the oil to a cruise .... then you wouldnt be so worried. OK so this one time you miss a beach (unlikely to hit every beach on that island in Mexico, but ok this is the worst I can come up with). I just can't understand why people act like this is as bad as a possible hurricane.

"From what I have read 3 or 4 devices failed that should have prevented this from happening. Not sure how anyone could plan on this."

When this all started it was reported that Brazil and I believe Norway required a

more expensive and reportedly more effective Blow Out Preventer. I guess that is what irks me-that our Govt wouldn't demand this also. And as usual I'm sure BP will see it as (oops) cheap insurance they should have bought or do you cruise without insurance??? Maybe you can afford to be self insured also!

Once again firefly didn't intend to demean your losses. My point was THIS goes far beyond our petty cruising concerns-this effects a whole culture on the

gulf coast. It is not their vacation it's their vocation; God help them all.

Once again firefly didn't intend to demean your losses. My point was THIS goes far beyond our petty cruising concerns-this effects a whole culture on the

gulf coast. It is not their vacation it's their vocation; God help them all.

I so agree. I get it that this affects a lot of people horribly. Believe me Iv had CNN on night an day watching and listening because I care (not because I cruise though)

But, I dont get people who say Im cruising in "X" months, should I cancel, one of my beaches might be affected ...as if ONE beach is the only reason they would go on a cruise. If that's true, they should fly to the beach and not cruise.

Really, though, what could Carnival say? What could they possibly know about how this catastrophe is going to affect cruises in the future until it becomes clearer exactly what will happen? There is a lot of uncertainty, but this is a dire situation that will adversely affect a lot of sea life as well as the coastlines of possibly several states.

From what I have read 3 or 4 devices failed that should have prevented this from happening. Not sure how anyone could plan on this. Not trying to take away from BP's role in this biut I for one would rather see less congressional hearings and finger pointing until this thing is stopped. There will be plenty of time for all the lawyers to make their money afterwards!

I aggree you you. Here's how I view the situation:

There's this fat spoiled brat screaming for a bottle, In her careless frantic rush to fill his hungry maw, mommy spills the milk and makes a big mess. (which now she has to clean up)

Maybe junior should go on a diet, play nice, share and try rice, almond and soy milk now an then so mommy can take her time to get it right with "clean" options.

I think the spill is the fault of us *all*

Archived