MSC Melody review finally submitted

AmoMondo

For those of you who may be interested in the Melody, I've finally finsihed and submitted my (bewarned long and detailed) review from my Black Sea trip last July. Here's the link

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=80128.

That only leaves me to get on with my Musica brazil Trip from november and Costa Trip to the Indain Ocean in jan to finish!

Wow, what a great review! It is so complete that I'm at a loss to think of any further question I might want to ask regarding the Melody (cruise next month). THank you Amo! I particularily enjoyed your Black Card experiences for when I might arrive at that lofty height.

good review after reading some scathing reviews about melody especially from south africans for some reason, i was starting to worry about my choice of ship for the oct 5 sailing to canary islands but i kept reminding myself its an italian ship. i take it you didnt get one of their beverage package we will probably get one as being aussies we dont mind a drink and i dont want to get a heart attack when i get my bar bill at end of trip. i am flying out of milan at end of trip are you aware of a msc coach transfer or am i better off getting train thanks claudio

good review after reading some scathing reviews about melody especially from south africans for some reason, i was starting to worry about my choice of ship for the oct 5 sailing to canary islands but i kept reminding myself its an italian ship. i take it you didnt get one of their beverage package we will probably get one as being aussies we dont mind a drink and i dont want to get a heart attack when i get my bar bill at end of trip. i am flying out of milan at end of trip are you aware of a msc coach transfer or am i better off getting train thanks claudio

Actuallyu I did get some drinks packages onboard - I had a water, non alcholic cocktail and a cocktail one and manged to use them all up in the 11 days. I don't drink enough to justify the cost of the all inclusive and I like to choose what wines I have. I'd rather have a third of a bottle of a really nice wine at dinner than a bottle of fairly average stuff. You get about 2 drinks free with each package and it makes checking the bill a bit easier.

MSC normally only do coach transfers to Milan for passengers that have flights arranged with them. Occasionally there is a disembarkation tour that finsihes at Milan airport (Malpensa I think). On one previous cruise I was on that finished at Genoa, some Aussies and Kiwis had booked the disembarkation tour as it also included the airport transfer. It was cancelled quite close to the end of the crusie because it did not reach the minimum number required to run it (there are not a lot of English speaking passengers onboard).

I've down the train from Malpensa to genoa and also the return journey in the past Italian trains are reliable and relatively cheap (compared to the UK). The real pain is that the train from Genoa arrives at Stazione centrale whereas the malpensa airport train goes from Cadrona(sp?). Changing stations by underground is possible but not recommended with luggag. less horsing around is to go out the back of Centrale where the airport buses leave (Bergamot, Malpensa and Linate). You need to buy your tickets from the little newspaper kiosk just before you exit the back exit (on the right). It takes about an hour and so does the train but the train ends up taking longer because of the station change. The genoa to milan train takes around 2 hours and is quite a pleasant journey. You must validate your ticket before you get on the train by punching it in a yellow machine. In some stations these machines are handily on the platform but not in Genoa. We nearly missed a train once because my pal had to run back up the stairs to find a machine and then belt back down again whilst I guarded the luggage!

AmoMondo, thank you for a terrific review of your Black Sea cruise. As we are booked on the Opera for a Black Sea adventure in October, and seeing that you have been on the Opera many times, can you give me some pointers that might help. We are departing and returning to Venice and having been there before, looking forward to a few days stay before or after the cruise. Any suggestions? We stayed at the Sofitel Venice, now Papadopoli Venezia, and liked it as it was convenient to the pier and the ease of getting to/from the airport. Any other suggestions as to where to stay and reasonable priced?

On the Opera, we have a balcony Cat. 10, Cabin 10189. Any comments?

We enjoyed our first MSC cruise on the Poesia last month and are excitedly awaiting this new experience. We love Princess, Celebrity, RCCL but Poesia was a rare treat and hopefully Opera will be the same.

Carol

AmoMondo, thank you for a terrific review of your Black Sea cruise. As we are booked on the Opera for a Black Sea adventure in October, and seeing that you have been on the Opera many times, can you give me some pointers that might help. We are departing and returning to Venice and having been there before, looking forward to a few days stay before or after the cruise. Any suggestions? We stayed at the Sofitel Venice, now Papadopoli Venezia, and liked it as it was convenient to the pier and the ease of getting to/from the airport. Any other suggestions as to where to stay and reasonable priced?

On the Opera, we have a balcony Cat. 10, Cabin 10189. Any comments?

We enjoyed our first MSC cruise on the Poesia last month and are excitedly awaiting this new experience. We love Princess, Celebrity, RCCL but Poesia was a rare treat and hopefully Opera will be the same.

Carol

Thanks Carol

Spookily enough I was in 10189 for my 19 night crossing to the Carribean several years ago and they offered it to me 2 days ago for the crossing from Argentina next year.

Last time I was joining a cruise in Venice, i stayed at the Laguna Palace in Mestre (it was recommended by BA). It was certainly very easy to get to the from the airport and also to the pier. It is a nice very modern hotel. Only drawback is there are 2 seperate blocks. I was in the rear one and it doesn't have a bar or restaurant and you have to walk around the block to the front block which does have them. It is a 5-10 minute walk which is fine if it is daylight and dry - in the pitch dark and pouring rain - it's not a lot of fun. The other hotel that I've stayed in in Venice itself is the Gabrielli Sandwerth on the waterfront close to the Bridge of Sighs and about 10 minutes walk from Piazzo San Marco and has great views of everywhere. It has a rooftop sun terrace and is a 14th century palazzo building. Another thing we liked about it is that it had a lovely inner courtyard garden where they served breakfast (& dinner).- a lovely tranquil haven. However not ideal to get to/from with lots of luggage. It's either an expensive water taxi job which will drop you a few yards from the front door or airport water bus (aliguna) which has a stop relatively close but you still have to go up and over a bridge so not great with lots of luggage.

The Opera layout is simlar to the Musica Class of ship (i.e. Poesia) just a bit smaller and without the speciality restaurants. Much else will feel very similar. Restaurant and bar menus will be identical, spa similar although the Poesia has a few extra treatments that are not available on Opera. less people onboard, so will feel less crowded. Also staff tend to get to know you better particularly if you use the same bar often. I really liked the Piano/martinin Bar - it had a lovely atmosphere. fee free to ask any specific questions you may have about the ship and I'll be happy to help

AmoMondo, thanks so much for the quick reply to my questions. I am sure that at the time grows nearer, there will be a lot more questions from me. We are still hoping to go but the unrest in the Mid-East will have to be watched very carefully...............

We are on a TA on Crown Princess in May from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton so that will keep me busy for awhile. I worked for a US subsiderary of a British Electronics Company based in Southampton until I retired so it will be fun to go back and revisit the area I so often visited on business.

• 1 month later...
Thank you for the great review! Looking forward to your review of the Musica.

Now that one had slipped my mind! I'm pretty bad at sitting down and getting on with them once I get back. it always takes so long to catch up with work and stuff at home and before I know it, I'm running around daft trying to get organised for my next trip!

Will try to get around to it in the next few weeks. In the meantime, feel free to ask any specifics about the ship.

Archived