New York shore tours

Travellingtaff

We have a westbound QM2 TA later this year and would like to book a New York ship's tour which picks up at the port on arrival and drops off at our hotel. Our VP says that tours are not available to book until on board,

Does anyone know if they have such tours bookable on board and, if so, is there anywhere online where they can be viewed?

All the shore tours I've found for NY on the Cunard general website refer to dropping off back at the pier at the end of the tour.

Many thanks.

This is the type of thing that is much better arranged as a private tour rather than a shuttle bus. If I recall correctly, they usually offer bus transfers to the airports and shuttles to midtown near Macy's and the Empire State Building. If you purchased a post-cruise hotel stay through them, bus transportation to your hotel would be included (but not much of a tour).

There are many tour and transportation providers who can provide a tour tailored to your specific needs, if you're comfortable doing a bit of research beforehand. Unlike Southampton, which is a distance from London, Brooklyn is part of New York City. There are MANY providers. Cunard also will book towncar service between the ship and your hotel, which could include instructions for a tour - for a not-inconsiderable price, I'd assume.

Of course, other considerations include

- What do you actually want to see? (Besides NY traffic) You can drive by lots of things, but it's not the best way to experience them.

- When can you get into your room at the hotel?

- Would it be more convenient to arrange simple transportation to the hotel, and then a tour which departs from the hotel or nearby?

I haven't checked the NY section, but the cruise critic port of call boards usually have a wealth of information on tours and providers.

FYI, I just checked Viator, which resells third-party tours and they offer a private half-day pickup and tour. (The listed attractions are so-so for my taste - they're really just stuff you see downtown as you come from Brooklyn. However, if you're spending most time midtown, you'd likely miss them). A little more research would quickly yield more, but it's an example.

https://www.viator.com/tours/New-York-City/New-York-City-Shore-Excursion-Post-Cruise-Half-Day-Private-Tour/d687-3112PRTNYCPOSTL

- Mark

Many thanks, Mark, for those comprehensive replies.

We were thinking of a proper tour rather than a shuttle, and didn't really see the point in getting a transfer to the hotel then booking a tour from there, more logical, we thought, to combine the two. It's just on this occasion I was interested to to know what Cunard has on offer, curious that they don't make tours for New York available to see and book on the VP.

Guess from what you say it's best, in the absence of any concrete tour info from Cunard, to book a private tour.

Thanks for the Viator link we had actually spotted that one during recent research; that or something similar seems a reasonable option for us.

Typical excursions are available here: http://www.cunard.co.uk/destinations/usa-cruises/new-york/new-york-city/

They might not all be available, but it'll give you an idea of what they offer.

Many thanks for that link, problem is this extract which I spotted in the text......

"Guests who are embarking or disembarking the ship in New York should not book a shore excursion for this port. New York excursions are available for guests visiting New York as a port call"

Looks like all the ship's tours go back to the pier and I need to be dropped at the hotel.

Not sure if you would be interested in something as informal as this, but I recommend you take a cab from the port directly to your hotel to drop off your luggage, and then get a Metrocard. If you take the M1, M2, M3, or M4 bus straight down 5th Avenue, it is really a great (and economical) tour of Manhattan! If you pick it up at 96th street and ride it straight down, you will get to see the Guggenheim Museum, Cooper Hewitt Museum of Design, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Frick Museum, Central Park & the Central Park Zoo, 57th Street with all major designer shops as well as Grand Army Plaza and the Plaza Hotel, Rockefeller Center, the New York Public Library, and more! The best part is, if something interests you, you can hop off and see it, and then just walk back to 5th Avenue and continue down on the next bus. I lived in NYC for 6 years and a lot of our guests loved this. During weekdays, the bus is not crowded. Just be careful around 4:30-6:30 the buses fill up during rush hour.

Not sure if you would be interested in something as informal as this, but I recommend you take a cab from the port directly to your hotel to drop off your luggage, and then get a Metrocard. If you take the M1, M2, M3, or M4 bus straight down 5th Avenue, it is really a great (and economical) tour of Manhattan! If you pick it up at 96th street and ride it straight down, you will get to see the Guggenheim Museum, Cooper Hewitt Museum of Design, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Frick Museum, Central Park & the Central Park Zoo, 57th Street with all major designer shops as well as Grand Army Plaza and the Plaza Hotel, Rockefeller Center, the New York Public Library, and more! The best part is, if something interests you, you can hop off and see it, and then just walk back to 5th Avenue and continue down on the next bus. I lived in NYC for 6 years and a lot of our guests loved this. During weekdays, the bus is not crowded. Just be careful around 4:30-6:30 the buses fill up during rush hour.

I love the idea of a Metrocard, thanks for suggesting it and for providing us with a detailed itinerary.

We have a Times Square hotel for 3 nights and have arranged a 3 day City Pass so a Metrocard should prove a good option for getting around.

Hi,

Another note-as you will be in the Times Square area, the M20 goes down 7th Ave all the way to South Ferry; there you can take the Staten Island Ferry R/T -it’s free; you can also pick up the boats to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island which has an amazing Immigration Museum. From South Ferry you can stroll up Broadway to Wall Street, Trinity Church and a little further to Ground Zero and all of that. If then you stroll down Wall Street to Water St. you can pick up a N’bound M15 which will go through Chinatown and the Lower Eastside. It continues up 2nd Ave. to the UN. From there you can take an M42 and be right back in Times Square.

From Times Sq. , if you walk over to 8th Avenue, you can take an M104 which will take you up to Columbus Circle and the SW Corner of Central Park-that bus continues up to Lincoln Center-Opera House & etc.

At Lincoln Center , if you take the M66 Crosstown you will cross Central Park to 5th Avenue and stroll up 5th Avenue to the Museums -if you do not want to stroll go one more street and take a N’bound bus on Madison Ave. M1,M2,M3 or M4 to 79th St where Museum Mile begins with the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Bon Voyage!!!

Hi,

Another note-as you will be in the Times Square area, the M20 goes down 7th Ave all the way to South Ferry; there you can take the Staten Island Ferry R/T -it’s free; you can also pick up the boats to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island which has an amazing Immigration Museum. From South Ferry you can stroll up Broadway to Wall Street, Trinity Church and a little further to Ground Zero and all of that. If then you stroll down Wall Street to Water St. you can pick up a N’bound M15 which will go through Chinatown and the Lower Eastside. It continues up 2nd Ave. to the UN. From there you can take an M42 and be right back in Times Square.

From Times Sq. , if you walk over to 8th Avenue, you can take an M104 which will take you up to Columbus Circle and the SW Corner of Central Park-that bus continues up to Lincoln Center-Opera House & etc.

At Lincoln Center , if you take the M66 Crosstown you will cross Central Park to 5th Avenue and stroll up 5th Avenue to the Museums -if you do not want to stroll go one more street and take a N’bound bus on Madison Ave. M1,M2,M3 or M4 to 79th St where Museum Mile begins with the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Bon Voyage!!!

WOW!!! I'm so glad you spotted this thread.

I can safely say that our 3 days in NY are now well and truly sorted.

Thanks so much to all those who have contributed.

Excellent info [emoji106]

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi,

Bon Voyage!!!

And more excellent info

Again thanks.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk