NYC - Disembarking and Bus Schedules

tatibus0913

Hi Everyone!

We will be cruising out of NYC in June, and are going to be taking the bus to and from Boston. We'll be using Go Bus, and the pick up point is about a mile and a half from the cruise terminal - near Penn Station. On a Sunday morning, would we be able to make a 10:00am bus? We walked off with our luggage on our last cruise in Vancouver and it was pretty quick. However, we haven't been on a large ship like the Escape before so we're not sure what to expect in terms of disembarkation. Thank you in advance!

Escape will be new to NYC starting in April, doing the Bermuda run. For the past year, NCL has 2 ships - Breakaway & Gem and their early/on-time arrival track records have been somewhat inconsistent, randomly late and with 4,500+ pax in the busy summer season ... Hmmm, IMHO, look at a later departure and I understood that bus fares are dynamically priced but why take the risks ... it's a fairly short bus trip back to Beantown.

Relax, stay onboard & enjoy a nice sit-down breakfast ... let the herds rush off, disembark at your own pace - no need to rush & stand in those long lines, down the stairs/escalators and then queue up for the CBP before exiting out to 12th Avenue.

Check the MCT's pier schedule, my guess is that there are other ships docking or calling on that day, which will make the cruise terminals even busier - longer lines for taxi & almost everyone send across the Avenue for private pick-up ... Penn Station is a long walk & June can be rather warm, if not hot - make sure those luggage wheels are sturdy & pavement-certified for the distance.

Extended family will be on the Escape in April/May so we will have a better idea of how things might be. Still, I would do a later bus.

Thank you both! As I mentioned, I’m not sure what to expect with such a large ship! Our last experience disembarking was so smooth and quick, but that doesn’t sound like the norm. What would be a good time to consider? The appeal of the 10am bus was that it was an express one that got us home fairly early in the afternoon, since we have work the next day :( But I also don’t want to end our vacation with stressing ourselves out by rushing around or missing the bus. Thank you again!!

Busy day ... just sat down to look at details, for Go Buses schedule - difference between Express & the one with extra stop at Hartford, CT is just 15 minutes, that a big difference in time save, especially considering traffic on I-95 on a typical Sunday ...

The 1 PM departure would be very safe, allow you to be among the last off the ship & make your way over to the bus pickup location, maybe even a stop along for lunch before boarding. (Last off the ship typically no later than 10 AM, probably 9:30 when they start trying to clear even the public area ... but, getting thru CBP and out past the secured terminal area, could be another 20 to 40+ minutes. (You can always keep all the luggage with you & walk off at your own convenience anytime.)

Sometimes, the backup is inside the border/customs area ... beyond NCL's control and a CBP staffing issue.

If ship is late, say docking at 8:30 and clearing at 9 or 9:30 AM ... then, the mad rush is ON for most people. But, taking your own luggage - should still be off the ship by 10 to 10:30 and get thru by 11 to 11:30 AM, still fairly safe in making your 1 PM bus.

If you rather take a little more risk & prepared to rush, if & when ship is late - to take the 12 noon "Express" bus ... one way to cut your delay is use porter services, as they have their own fast track thru the middle inside luggage hall. We've used them - typically can breeze thru the building in 15 to 20 minutes, while hundreds are snaked around the ropes lining up for the next CBP officer at the booth.

Do you really need to decide this early on your return bus time to Boston ?

Hi Again,

Thanks for the detailed response! I don’t need to decide right now, but our final payment is due in a couple weeks and at that point, I like to have everything figured out. Personally, I try to enjoy the last couple months leading up to the cruise and be excited about vacation without worrying about planning and booking things.

Thank you again for your insights - the 1pm does sound like the best option. One of the reasons I love CC is that everyone is so helpful :D

Have you looked into BOLT bus? Similar to Go bus. There is a pickup at 39th street and 11 Avenue.

Whatever you do never ever consider the Chinese bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello! I have looked at Bolt Bus but it's from South Station. Go Bus is from Alewife Station in Cambridge, which is a lot closer to where I live. Thanks for the recommendation! :)

I have no experience with bus times, but have you considered MegaBus, Greyhound or Peter Pan out of South Station? I'm not sure about Go Bus schedule, but I know those companies have quite a few buses that leave throughout the day, it might give you more options to choose from. I am currently trying to decide between these three bus companies (and will now also investigate Go Bus as well) based on their prices!

I have no experience with bus times, but have you considered MegaBus, Greyhound or Peter Pan out of South Station? I'm not sure about Go Bus schedule, but I know those companies have quite a few buses that leave throughout the day, it might give you more options to choose from. I am currently trying to decide between these three bus companies (and will now also investigate Go Bus as well) based on their prices!

I haven't but maybe I will! I like Go Bus simply because they use Alewife Station, and I live about a mile from there. I'll take a look at the ones from South Station though. I just have to remember to factor in the time and money for an Uber home!

I haven't but maybe I will! I like Go Bus simply because they use Alewife Station, and I live about a mile from there. I'll take a look at the ones from South Station though. I just have to remember to factor in the time and money for an Uber home!

Might be worth it! Could also take the red line right into South Station and just transfer over to the bus terminal.