Millenium now...

amias

Just curious... A family member is currently on the Millenium and reports that passengers have been told they cannot get off the ship in Petropavlousk. Is this always the case? I believe she was under the impression that they would be able to tour the area.

While I have no idea what is going on with the current sailing, we were on the Fall Transpacific aboard Millie last September. Petropovlosk was dropped as a port stop and replaced with Dutch Harbor, Alaska due to previous problems on earlier sailings. The problems range from weather (this is a tender port) as well as Russian Immigration officials taking forever to clear the ship. The CD on our Fall cruise spoke of so many previous problems calling at Petropovlosk that I'm surprised Celebrity scheduled another call there this year.

We also had friends on Crystal Serenity last year who's call there was aborted. By the time the officials had finally cleared the ship, it was too close to departure time for anyone to go ashore. Our friends commented they watched the Russian officials carrying off sacks of food the cruise line had given to them. They also said multiple officers would review a single passport before clearing each and every person, thus the ridiculously long time to clear the entire ship.

I'll be interested to know what's going on this time around. I'm also curious if one has to have an organized tour in order to disembark? Isn't that the case in St Petersburg?

If everything is "normal", you can get off and tour the area.

However, I seem to recall instances in the past where there was a problem with Russian customs and pax were not permitted to go ashore.

Thanks for the speedy responses. I knew the ship was still scheduled to stop so the report of not being able to go ashore was confusing. Looks as though it could just be delays with customs, passports etc. as one poster suggested. Weather looks to be cold but otherwise good so it did not seem as though tendering would be the problem. I'm sure they are having a great cruise despite this hiccup.

Keep us posted if you hear back from your family. I'm really curious how it will all work out today. Fingers crossed your family will be able to go ashore and enjoy the stop!

We also have friends aboard who I'll try to contact via FB and see if they respond.

While I have no idea what is going on with the current sailing, we were on the Fall Transpacific aboard Millie last September. Petropovlosk was dropped as a port stop and replaced with Dutch Harbor, Alaska due to previous problems on earlier sailings. The problems range from weather (this is a tender port) as well as Russian Immigration officials taking forever to clear the ship. The CD on our Fall cruise spoke of so many previous problems calling at Petropovlosk that I'm surprised Celebrity scheduled another call there this year.

We also had friends on Crystal Serenity last year who's call there was aborted. By the time the officials had finally cleared the ship, it was too close to departure time for anyone to go ashore. Our friends commented they watched the Russian officials carrying off sacks of food the cruise line had given to them. They also said multiple officers would review a single passport before clearing each and every person, thus the ridiculously long time to clear the entire ship.

I'll be interested to know what's going on this time around. I'm also curious if one has to have an organized tour in order to disembark? Isn't that the case in St Petersburg?

Definitely St Petersburg. A private guided tour lets you experience everything during a 2 day stop. Plus they handle the group visa. Quick through customs and immigration, and a marvelous visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I will not be in touch with family member on Millenium until her return to the UK (I hard about the Petropavlovsk stop from another person with whom she had been in contact. Interested to know what happened since this is a cruise we would be interested in taking ourselves.

I will not be in touch with family member on Millenium until her return to the UK (I hard about the Petropavlovsk stop from another person with whom she had been in contact. Interested to know what happened since this is a cruise we would be interested in taking ourselves.[/quote

As I write this they are announcing that certain groups can proceed to the gangway. It is now 11:10 a.m. here. Passengers are being allowed to go ashore via tender even if they are not part of an official excursion. The processing may be slow and cumbersome but there does not seem to be any other restrictions. This is a beautiful place surrounded by snow capped mountains. I have not been ashore yet as my excursion is scheduled for this afternoon but I'm looking forward to it, particularly now that I see the scenery.

As I write this they are announcing that certain groups can proceed to the gangway. It is now 11:10 a.m. here. Passengers are being allowed to go ashore via tender even if they are not part of an official excursion. The processing may be slow and cumbersome but there does not seem to be any other restrictions. This is a beautiful place surrounded by snow capped mountains. I have not been ashore yet as my excursion is scheduled for this afternoon but I'm looking forward to it, particularly now that I see the scenery.

Thanks for your "live" report from Millie. So glad to hear everyone is able to go ashore if they wish to. Enjoy your excursion this afternoon at this very unique port!

Glad you are able to go ashore. Looks like a fascinating area to visit. Hope it went well. I will find out in about a week or so if my cousin was able to join you! Best wishes for the remainder of the cruise.

Glad you are able to go ashore. Looks like a fascinating area to visit. Hope it went well. I will find out in about a week or so if my cousin was able to join you! Best wishes for the remainder of the cruise.

Had a very enjoyable afternoon ashore with a good guide. Things were delayed so that for our 2:30 excursion we didn't start until 3:30 and as a result didn't get back to the ship until after 7 p.m. We were scheduled to depart at that time but due to Russian immigration procedures did not get underway until around 10:45 p.m. All in all, I'm very glad that I got to visit this port. Hopefully your cousin will have had a similar experience.

Many thanks for reporting back, and I'm glad the stop was worth while. If you run into Catherine and Anne from Liverpool please say hello from Cath's cousin. Enjoy the rest of your cruise!