Aurora entertainment information.

P-L-B

Regarding Aurora R720P departing 10th November.

Can anyone please confirm the current Headliners show line up on Aurora.

We have probably seen the shows before but you never know they may have some new shows we haven’t seen.

Also, any inside information about other entertainers that may be on during the above cruise.

Actually, can this sort of information be obtained by contacting P&O.

Regarding Aurora R720P departing 10th November.

Can anyone please confirm the current Headliners show line up on Aurora.

We have probably seen the shows before but you never know they may have some new shows we haven’t seen.

Also, any inside information about other entertainers that may be on during the above cruise.

Actually, can this sort of information be obtained by contacting P&O.

I don't think they can, as the daily programme is organised by the Entertainments Manager on board. The Headliners have a repertoire of about 8 shows and it's anyone's guess as to which ones they will do on any particular cruise. Obviously P&O know who they have booked for each cruise and where they get on and off but they don't publicise it in case things go astray - and you know how people like to complain!!!

We are currently on Aurora. 5 days in out of 7 there has been just one headliners show (Fantasy) which isn’t a particularly good one IMO. I think that the headliners are perhaps having a holiday as well! At least this lot can hit the right notes, unlike the team we had in May! We were on the preceding 2 night cruise and had a Showaddywaddy and Madness tribute who were great. We were hoping that they would re-appear this week but no sign yet, so we presume not. We’ve had a magician who most people rated (but, unfortunately, I spotted the key to the illusion) and a comedian who we’ve never heard of who had one or two good one liners but the rest of the act was very dated.

We are currently on Aurora. 5 days in out of 7 there has been just one headliners show (Fantasy) which isn’t a particularly good one IMO. I think that the headliners are perhaps having a holiday as well! At least this lot can hit the right notes, unlike the team we had in May! We were on the preceding 2 night cruise and had a Showaddywaddy and Madness tribute who were great. We were hoping that they would re-appear this week but no sign yet, so we presume not. We’ve had a magician who most people rated (but, unfortunately, I spotted the key to the illusion) and a comedian who we’ve never heard of who had one or two good one liners but the rest of the act was very dated.

Thanks for the information regarding the current entertainment on Aurora.

I don't think we have seen Fantasy and we would certainly be up for the Showaddywaddy and Madness tribute acts if they appear on our Aurora cruise departiing on 10th. :)

In the interests of balance, I should say that we have a Spanish guitarist on board who is sensational. We also really enjoyed Harmony Duo who were on Aurora in May. We like Aurora for that reason (and many others) as it’s not all just holiday camp style.

In the interests of balance, I should say that we have a Spanish guitarist on board who is sensational. We also really enjoyed Harmony Duo who were on Aurora in May. We like Aurora for that reason (and many others) as it’s not all just holiday camp style.

Yes, we also like Aurora as it has a half decent dance floor together with Oriana.

Something sadly lacking on some of the other P&O ships where you are in some cases restricted to shuffling around the atrium!!:rolleyes:"

Production shows almost always have over amplified sound, particularly of the brass section of the resident band. This often extends to the backing of visiting solo singers, to the extent that the soloist is not able to be clearly heard.

Furthermore, the use of 'dry ice haze' has the effect of causing some soloists to have to result to water to ensure their throat is able to perform correctly. I have spoken to several, suggesting that their second show should be haze free. Why haze, to provide a medium that show shafts of light, but means the overall effect to reduce visual clarify.

Decca eng. rtd 49 cruises 20 ships

Production shows almost always have over amplified sound, particularly of the brass section of the resident band. This often extends to the backing of visiting solo singers, to the extent that the soloist is not able to be clearly heard.

Furthermore, the use of 'dry ice haze' has the effect of causing some soloists to have to result to water to ensure their throat is able to perform correctly. I have spoken to several, suggesting that their second show should be haze free. Why haze, to provide a medium that show shafts of light, but means the overall effect to reduce visual clarify.

Decca eng. rtd 49 cruises 20 ships

Interesting observations joro44

Do you know if visiting artists always have to rely on the ships onboard sound engineer (hopefully they do have a fully qualified sound engineer !!) to carry out sound checks or do some artists insist on their own sound engineer to get the best sound mix for them?

I am retired now but have an interest as I worked for PYE many years ago :)

I’m in shock. The Headliners Theatre Company on Aurora are ending their holiday today and we have the 2nd and final show of the current 7 day cruise this evening. Not only that, it’s one we haven’t seen before called ‘Echo’s in the Night’. I wonder if this is a new show and the reason that they have done so little on this cruise is because they have been rehearsing it?

In reply to P-L-P, the matter is not clear cut, as the practice varies from Line to Line and ships within a Line, depending how upto date they are. Talking to various ships' sound technicians gives the impression that in some cases HQ staff set the onboard audio computer when a new production is mounted and the technician can only make subsequent recommendations for changes. Some production shows operate without a live 'band', the cast having to perform to prerecorded music.

Visiting guest performers who contract to have the backing 'band', supply their own music parts, at their own expense. The cost is reduced by having a similar 'band' make-up on different ships and keeping to the same programme for some time.

I was aquainted with an Italian tenor, who had a 'crossover' number 1, his contract included, 'no haze' and he set the balance between himself and the 'band'. If he felt in good voice, halfway through his performance he would dispense with the mic and sing an aria/song filling the theatre with natural, unamplified sound.

It goes without saying that like cinemas, the best audio seat is in the centre of the theatre to get the best OR WORST of the sound.

49 cruises 20 ships

I’m in shock. The Headliners Theatre Company on Aurora are ending their holiday today and we have the 2nd and final show of the current 7 day cruise this evening. Not only that, it’s one we haven’t seen before called ‘Echo’s in the Night’. I wonder if this is a new show and the reason that they have done so little on this cruise is because they have been rehearsing it?

Thanks for the update Selbourne.

Let us know what you think of the show.

In reply to P-L-P, the matter is not clear cut, as the practice varies from Line to Line and ships within a Line, depending how upto date they are. Talking to various ships' sound technicians gives the impression that in some cases HQ staff set the onboard audio computer when a new production is mounted and the technician can only make subsequent recommendations for changes. Some production shows operate without a live 'band', the cast having to perform to prerecorded music.

Visiting guest performers who contract to have the backing 'band', supply their own music parts, at their own expense. The cost is reduced by having a similar 'band' make-up on different ships and keeping to the same programme for some time.

I was aquainted with an Italian tenor, who had a 'crossover' number 1, his contract included, 'no haze' and he set the balance between himself and the 'band'. If he felt in good voice, halfway through his performance he would dispense with the mic and sing an aria/song filling the theatre with natural, unamplified sound.

It goes without saying that like cinemas, the best audio seat is in the centre of the theatre to get the best OR WORST of the sound.

49 cruises 20 ships

Thanks for the interesting information regarding a little of what goes on behind the scenes. I think you will agree that most people are not aware that there are many variables that can effect sound quality, some of which can be corrected and some, for whatever reason can not. :)

Thanks for the update Selbourne.

Let us know what you think of the show.

Well, ‘Echoes in the Night’ was interesting. Quite a step change from the usual P&O fayre. I would describe it as a far more grown up interpretation of what a ship based show should be, as it is produced by someone new (there’s a voice over intro by her but I didn’t catch her name).

Whereas the usual Headliners style is a bit pantomime style IMO, with over the top, unconvincing, loud acting and very weak (or bizarre) story lines, this was more of a theatrical production. Quite atmospheric set, a more convincing story line and dancing that was more akin to the show dances on Strictly Come Dancing. Don’t ask me to explain the story (I have a terrible habit of dropping off during shows, especially post dinner and always struggle to fully grasp the plot) but Mrs Selbourne (who does not suffer this problem) said that she thought it was very good. If I was being critical, I didn’t like the way the songs were done. The story was set around the time of the war, but the songs were all modern songs, sung as though they were old songs (if that makes sense). I like old songs. I like new songs. But new songs sung as old songs didn’t quite work for me. P&O should be applauded for this one though. I really believe that the vast majority of their entertainment is stuck in a time warp, and this was encouraging.

Well, ‘Echoes in the Night’ was interesting. Quite a step change from the usual P&O fayre. I would describe it as a far more grown up interpretation of what a ship based show should be, as it is produced by someone new (there’s a voice over intro by her but I didn’t catch her name).

Whereas the usual Headliners style is a bit pantomime style IMO, with over the top, unconvincing, loud acting and very weak (or bizarre) story lines, this was more of a theatrical production. Quite atmospheric set, a more convincing story line and dancing that was more akin to the show dances on Strictly Come Dancing. Don’t ask me to explain the story (I have a terrible habit of dropping off during shows, especially post dinner and always struggle to fully grasp the plot) but Mrs Selbourne (who does not suffer this problem) said that she thought it was very good. If I was being critical, I didn’t like the way the songs were done. The story was set around the time of the war, but the songs were all modern songs, sung as though they were old songs (if that makes sense). I like old songs. I like new songs. But new songs sung as old songs didn’t quite work for me. P&O should be applauded for this one though. I really believe that the vast majority of their entertainment is stuck in a time warp, and this was encouraging.

Thanks for the interesting observations and show review.

Let's hope we get a chance to see it in a few weeks time when onboard Aurora.

Fortunately we are on the Oriana in a couple of weeks time for 18 nights and have the pleasure of a Music Festival at Sea. Now in their 33rd year on P&O, having been started by Lord Stirling and Richard Baker, it brings a group of classical trained singers and instrumentalists together with associated talks and other activities. By the way, the sound levels and balance are as they should be!

Another company has taken up the idea and have chartered Celebrity Silhouette for a 7 nighter in the Spring out of Southampton, that's some 2886 berths to fill, they feel their is a demand for something other than 'song and dance' shows.

This was evident on the four Adonia cruises we have been on, where the resident team were also professional actors and presented a West End type play each cruise lasting longer than the normal 45 minutes to full houses.

49 cruises 20 ships 5 cruise lines

Fortunately we are on the Oriana in a couple of weeks time for 18 nights and have the pleasure of a Music Festival at Sea.

It should be great. Do let us know if it's the last P&O Music Festivals at Sea cruise, as people on here are suggesting.

Edited by Ravensbourne1960

Fortunately we are on the Oriana in a couple of weeks time for 18 nights and have the pleasure of a Music Festival at Sea. Now in their 33rd year on P&O, having been started by Lord Stirling and Richard Baker, it brings a group of classical trained singers and instrumentalists together with associated talks and other activities. By the way, the sound levels and balance are as they should be!

Another company has taken up the idea and have chartered Celebrity Silhouette for a 7 nighter in the Spring out of Southampton, that's some 2886 berths to fill, they feel their is a demand for something other than 'song and dance' shows.

This was evident on the four Adonia cruises we have been on, where the resident team were also professional actors and presented a West End type play each cruise lasting longer than the normal 45 minutes to full houses.

49 cruises 20 ships 5 cruise lines

Sounds fantastic. I like proper West End shows that you see on land, but find the P&O interpretations to be quite poor. On our last 2 cruises the best entertainment by a mile has been classical. Harmony Duo (violinist and pianist) and Demitris Dekavalles (Spanish guitarist) were both top quality acts that you would pay to see in a UK concert hall. I have never seen a proper play on a P&O ship and would like to, as long as it’s not performed by the Headliners as they tend to over-act and wouldn’t be terribly convincing IMO.

It was possibly Natalie Lowe who used to be one of the professional dancers on Strictly, I have read somewhere recently that she was creating a dance show for P&O and that it would be premiered this autumn.

Natalie was the professional dancer on Strictly cruise that we did on Azura 3 years ago and she was excellent.

It was possibly Natalie Lowe who used to be one of the professional dancers on Strictly, I have read somewhere recently that she was creating a dance show for P&O and that it would be premiered this autumn.

Natalie was the professional dancer on Strictly cruise that we did on Azura 3 years ago and she was excellent.

Quite likely. It had that sort of 'Strictly' feel to it. The dancing was excellent.

I was also on the Aurora last week. Echoes in the night was created by Ruthie Henshall who introduced it. I quite liked Fantasy, a new one for me with disco hits with a storyline about an old disco hall. The cast had joined at the same time as us in Southampton so weren't partaking in the whole program. Their singing was far better that their acting! Charley the Ents officer was taking over line dancing for their first 6 weeks while they got the shows right. I did feel the cruise was lacking in terms of Entertainment, only one show a night most nights rather than the usual one in Carmens and one in theatre. The shows we did have were pretty good. Alex the Entertainment manager was fantastic, it was scheduled to be Neil Kelly who had injured himself so Alex was covering. The comedian was Vince Earl and Jamie Allen was the magician. We also had twisted sister who did a Beatles and a Rock show having re-arranged the original songs to different styles.

Just read an article in our Moments Magazine regarding Natalie Lowe's new production called "Dream Lover". This will premiere on board Oceana (E801) in January 2018. It's described as a "romantic tale of the trials and triumphs of young love."

Also, according to our Moments Magazine Neil Kelly was scheduled to be onboard until 22 November but from what you say it appears Alex is doing a fine job. :)

We look forward to "Echoes In The Night", Fantasy and the other shows whilst onboard Aurora in a couple of weeks time :D

Edited by P-L-B