Change Travel Agent

jgoodm

Hi,

I booked a cruise with a travel agent (she did nothing, I gave her the specific cruise and suite numbers, etc.). All she did was reserve the rooms I specified but we were referred to her as someone who would be helpful in booking our private tours at port and she would assist with some information on our destinations after the cruise which we have never been to before.

The agent went MIA as soon as the suites were booked, she doesn't answer emails, phone calls, texts, nothing.

Has anyone had any experience changing travel agents on a reserved cruise? I need to get someone who can help us and frankly this person doesn't deserve a commission if someone else has to take over to do her job.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Fortunately, mine went MIA before I booked; I just had a courtesy hold. My second one is not better. I called the cruise line directly and they told me they would need a letter from the 2nd TA in order to take over the booking. I'm doing everything myself now. I've learned that information is readily available on the internet to do it yourself. I would have preferred a professional to get me to Europe my first time there, but I can handle it. I just didn't want to.

Is there someone else in the office, higher up, who could assist you. Personally I prefer to work directly with a local TA, this way we know each other and I can come to her or call anyone in her office if I wish a room change or see a price drop. At any rate you will need as mentioned, a letter from the office, to release your booking back to the cruise lines. I have read instances where someone who could not make contact with their TA was able to get the cruise lines to take over but generally you need a release letter from the TA

Is there someone else in the office, higher up, who could assist you. Personally I prefer to work directly with a local TA, this way we know each other and I can come to her or call anyone in her office if I wish a room change or see a price drop. At any rate you will need as mentioned, a letter from the office, to release your booking back to the cruise lines. I have read instances where someone who could not make contact with their TA was able to get the cruise lines to take over but generally you need a release letter from the TA

Amazing, so the person doing nothing has to actively do something to give it up? I am guessing that's not happening.

Hi,

I booked a cruise with a travel agent (she did nothing, I gave her the specific cruise and suite numbers, etc.). All she did was reserve the rooms I specified but we were referred to her as someone who would be helpful in booking our private tours at port and she would assist with some information on our destinations after the cruise which we have never been to before.

The agent went MIA as soon as the suites were booked, she doesn't answer emails, phone calls, texts, nothing.

Has anyone had any experience changing travel agents on a reserved cruise? I need to get someone who can help us and frankly this person doesn't deserve a commission if someone else has to take over to do her job.

If the agent is truly non-responsive, and no one else at the agency is responsive, you may be able to get Royal to take back the booking. I'd first try to get someone else at the agency to respond, then call Royal.

I am hoping you can speak with someone else in the office where your TA works to get the matter taken care of. This is what I was referring to when I mentioned speaking to someone else within the office. Sadly I have read many times where one gets a TA who isn't there to help you or get back to your calls or emails. That shouldn't happen.

We have used one on-line TA for years, but then the company changed policy and as a manager, she wasn't able to book for us anymore. We got another at the same agency and was not happy. When we sailed, we did an on board next cruise booking and said we didn't want it to go to that agent. We signed the paper and everything. THEN, come to find out that TA is 'requested' to release the booking. WHAT? Then why did I sign the paper? I asked RCI what if they won't release it and I was told they would still release it to make the customer happy. Nothing like making more conflict as I didn't even want to have her know we did the booking. Fast forward to booking with a local agent (with big national company). We met with her, felt good. Then we booked. Barely returned calls. I actually had to go in person a number of times. Then got an email 2 days before we were flying out saying our paperwork was ready for pick up. WHAT? I called and said can I come tomorrow to pick it up (we already pre-printed, but figured, lets see what we're getting). She said 'I'm out tomorrow', I'll leave it on my desk. Really? When I picked it up it was the same paperwork we printed, plus a luggage tag. Well, printed, laminated and a generic rubber band. SO not impressed. Went back to on-line agency and got a GREAT agent.

It all comes down to the agent. Period.

Good Luck.

Erika

Hi,

I know this might be a bit extreme, but if you aren't past final payment, and depending on the current prices, you could cancel the booking and re-book the cruise yourself or through another TA if you have one in mind. If it was me, I'd book a refundable deposit first, then cancel the original booking and when the cabins come open after you cancel, try to move to them. Of course that's all assuming the pricing isn't much different than the original booking.