Private tour to edinburgh and Tatoo for 6

I had to cancel our cruise, but 8 from the roll call used greatscot-tours.com. They did a tour ofGlasgow/Edinburgh and transfers to/from Tattoo. The ones that went said it was a very good tour tailored to some of the things they wanted to see and there was an easy to get to location to meet the van after the Tattoo. They arrived about 45 minutes before the ship tours arrived back in Glasgow. The cost 5 years ago was $50 pounds for a couple. If you are starting in Edinburgh, the private excursion should be much easier to coordinate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2018 at 3:04 PM, cherylakers said:

we will be in Edinburgh next August and want to do a private tour to the tattoo. There are 6 of us.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

I believe we are on the same cruise (and we will be joining you on your tour in Cobh). To see the Tattoo you need to do it from Glasgow (Greenock). We arrive at 7 am on 8/23 and leave at 2 am on 8/24.

For Edinburgh we are only in port from 7 am to 7 pm and the Tattoo doesn't start til something like 9 pm.

• 1 month later...

We have tickets for Tattoo 8/20, will be in Edinburgh on Azamara Journey, I too am wondering about transportation options to/from ship, will be with my 78 yr old mother who already knows about the challenge of the walking up hill to get to castle and can do this, but trying to make it as easy as possible, meaning is there a access direction that is less steep, better place for taxi drop off/pick up, better to go early tour castle and find some place for dinner?   Which companies will take prebookings for taxi's?     Were are in port overnight, so no worried on missing ship, just trying to figure our best way to go about the day/evening.

1 hour ago, leennp said:

We have tickets for Tattoo 8/20, will be in Edinburgh on Azamara Journey, I too am wondering about transportation options to/from ship, will be with my 78 yr old mother who already knows about the challenge of the walking up hill to get to castle and can do this, but trying to make it as easy as possible, meaning is there a access direction that is less steep, better place for taxi drop off/pick up, better to go early tour castle and find some place for dinner?   Which companies will take prebookings for taxi's?     Were are in port overnight, so no worried on missing ship, just trying to figure our best way to go about the day/evening.

Roads usually close around The Castle at 5:00 p.m. so if you wanted to get very close the Castle, you would need to get a taxi to drop you off before that.  The Castle closes by then so everybody gets out before the roadsclose. I think it might be too much anyway for you mum to manage a tour of the Castle (which is very demanding) followed by dinner, followed by the Tattoo. ideally you could do something in the morning, back to the ship for a rest and get ready for the evening (warm, waterproof clothing!) then head out for dinner. 

There are 3 restaurants which would be a very short walk away. They are - The Witchery, the Cannonball and The Whisky Experience.  I'm pretty sure they all offer Tattoo special meals so you might want to get in touch and find out at least what they did this year. I know The Witchery fills up very early as it is so popular with tourists (but not so much locals!!). 

In the past, Azamara ships have docked at Leith and it is the nearest of the 4 Edinburgh ports to the castle so it would be very easy to get  a taxi from there.  However you might want to pre-book a car and I STRONGLY advise this for your return journey  so have a look at these websites. 

www.ecph.cab   or

www.capitalcarsscotland.co.uk

Edited by tartanexile81

Thanks for the information, I figured the access to vehicles would be reduced near castle at some point.   Thanks for restaurant names too, that would see like best plan for the evening, to get close before roads close and have dinner.    If Tatoo tickets are for 9pm, what is the time you are able to make your way to seats?      

There is a secure area established a few hundred yards from the Castle and people queue up at the other side of the barrier. The lines can get quite long so entry starts about 45 minutes before the start. The restaurants I have recommended, however, are within the area where the security guards do their searches etc so I'm not sure how that works

Edited by tartanexile81

9 hours ago, tartanexile81 said:

Sure you could resell them on the usual sites like tickethub etc  and  no doubt ebay. There's also an unofficial dedicated re-sell site for the Tattoo. 

Maybe someone on your roll call would want to purchase them from you.