St. Maarten - Anybody take the catamaran shore excursions?

Susie B.

We're in St. Maarten on the Equinox next month. Has anyone been on either of the catamaran shore excursions? Looks like one goes over by Maho Beach and the other is a sunset sail. Thanks for any info.

It's not my favorite place for a sailing excursion. It always seems expensive and I don't find the sights around St Maarten all that interesting. Snorkeling has always been poor. I think you can find better values in other ports. On the plus side, you can walk to the sailboat.

It's not my favorite place for a sailing excursion. It always seems expensive and I don't find the sights around St Maarten all that interesting. Snorkeling has always been poor. I think you can find better values in other ports. On the plus side, you can walk to the sailboat.

I agree with bigbeergut about sights in St. Maarten....BUT I love St. Maarten for shopping! Everything is (or was before hurricane, I'll let you know April 1 when I'm back) within walking distance of ship....there's more shops than you can see in a day, prices are fair and there are some great restaurants on the beach....our favorite is the Blue Bitch....but there's so many others. I would do the catamaran on one of the other islands where sights are prettier and snorkeling is better.

We were on the 2/11/18 Eastern Caribbean sailing on the Silhouette. We did 2 Celebrity excursions the day we were in port for St. Maarten - the second being a catamaran cruise. We were only in port until 5pm (all aboard at 4:30) so I'm fairly certain it wasn't the sunset catamaran; the departure time for the catamaran was 1pm. I found it to be one of the highlights. The crew was great, very friendly - while it gave a very eye-opening, sobering look at the hurricane destruction they're still dealing with. Maho Beach is not very active at all with airplane take-offs, landings. I think the catamaran crew said that there are virtually no major resorts open, so the tourist air traffic is next to nothing.

We were on the 2/11/18 Eastern Caribbean sailing on the Silhouette. We did 2 Celebrity excursions the day we were in port for St. Maarten - the second being a catamaran cruise. We were only in port until 5pm (all aboard at 4:30) so I'm fairly certain it wasn't the sunset catamaran; the departure time for the catamaran was 1pm. I found it to be one of the highlights. The crew was great, very friendly - while it gave a very eye-opening, sobering look at the hurricane destruction they're still dealing with. Maho Beach is not very active at all with airplane take-offs, landings. I think the catamaran crew said that there are virtually no major resorts open, so the tourist air traffic is next to nothing.

Thanks Amy, great info. Did your cat sail take you up toward Maho Bay/Maho Beach? We're in port until 7pm that day. Which other excursion did you take?