Mangalore Port (Is visa needed if stay onboard?)

Kortark

In general, if a visa is required to enter a country, it does not matter whether you promise to stay aboard the ship, you must have a visa. When you are in port, you are inside the territorial jurisdiction of that country and subject to all their laws and regulations. Prior to allowing anyone to go ashore, local immigration officials will have come aboard to clear all the passengers and crew.

Bottom line: if a visa for that country is required, staying aboard the ship or not is irrelevant. (I am only addressing the "stay on the ship" scenario, not whether a visa is required for any particular country.)

In general, if a visa is required to enter a country, it does not matter whether you promise to stay aboard the ship, you must have a visa. When you are in port, you are inside the territorial jurisdiction of that country and subject to all their laws and regulations. Prior to allowing anyone to go ashore, local immigration officials will have come aboard to clear all the passengers and crew.

Bottom line: if a visa for that country is required, staying aboard the ship or not is irrelevant. (I am only addressing the "stay on the ship" scenario, not whether a visa is required for any particular country.)

Totally agree. I am always surprised by those that thing the ship will prevent them from going ashore, based on their promise...

If you should become ill or get injured, and had to be brought ashore for medical care in that port, a visa would be required. The same applies if your cruise was interrupted by a problem with the ship itself and all the passengers were disembarked. Remote likelihood of either one, but some reasons why you still have to get that visa even if you don't plan to go ashore.

"Ship" can happen!

You may not even be able to board your cruise on day one if you don’t have the visa. On all cruises I’ve been on that a visa is required, they verify you have it at checkin along with your passport.

Don

True! IF a visa is required you can't board the ship without it.